Laser Air Defense March 16, 2009

Vuldacon

Dedicated to Excellence
Supporter
This is a Laser Air Defense I made in order to be able to provide Air Defense for individual Units as well as Cities or Buildings.

It Uses the CIV III/Conquest SAM improvement and replaces the animation and sound.

As most of you know, the SAM uses silos and Missiles which would look Strange if used for individual Units set with Air Defense. There can only be one animation for Air Defense using the SAM improvement so I needed to have a way to use the same Air Defense for all situations.

This Laser Air Defense uses the Concept of a Computer Controlled Satellite, Armed with a Deadly Laser that can knock out Air Units. The Satellite Guards each Unit that carries a Transmitter/Homing Device that connects to the Satellite.

The Satellite will Guard Units and if desired to Guard Cities or Buildings, you can build a "Booster Improvement" that will allow the Satellite to Guard a Larger area such as your Cities. This is one way to explain the same animation used for both situations.

The animation is simple but effective and looks good in game.
I arranged the Frames and length of the animation to coincide with timing to Hit an Enemy Air Unit that attacks your Individual Unit or City.
The Laser is Bright Yellowish Green and makes a nice Flash Sap in the game.

Includes the needed Flcs, Sound and adjusted .ini...and a Read Me file.

You can download the small Zip here

The Preview shows the Whitish Star-burst areas around the Laser Attack Flash but this is Very Translucent in the game and serves to Illuminate the animation...so it does not appear as white geometric triangles but rather illuminated streaks in game.

Last edited:
Interesting animation.

>> Back in the 60's, I had a weather changing machine that was,
in essence, a sophisticated heat beam which we called a "laser."<<

:)

Nice work, Vuldacon, you always come up with something unexpected.

Sweet Green Death, what a great animation, Vuldacon!!!

This is going straight into the GE mod!

Man, keep it up!!! This kind of stuff is amazing!

This is an Extremely simply animation that I hesitated to upload but I needed it to serve the Purpose of setting Air Defense for individual Units as well as for Buildings and had to use the SAM Air Defense animation for this as everyone else does. Thought perhaps someone else might want it for the same purpose.

We do have to use our imaginations to set our games as we want them so I am sure you can figure out how to use this in your own way.

I try to apply what I call "Plausible Reality" to things I add to a game so there is some reasonable way to explain it for game purposes. This can be a Stretch sometimes but we must have what we want some how :)

by the way... this simple thing looks much better in game than the preview :)

Looks great Vuldacon, I'm glad you uploaded and explained.

Top Bottom