1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Late Game City-State influence.

Discussion in 'Communitas Expansion Pack' started by ShmooDude, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Ahriman

Ahriman Tyrant

The solution that was suggested some time ago was to change city state gifts so that each player can only give one gift per turn.

2. Delekhan

Delekhan Prince

I believe a simple solution to this issue is to have people who don't like gold gifts use a CSD/CEP version of the mod, and those who don't mind the gold gifts to use CEP by itself without CSD.

I personally don't have much issue with City-State gold gifts. The bigger issue is that the game seems flooded with gold in the late game, though the increase in production costs has mitigated that to a degree.

3. ShmooDude

ShmooDude Chieftain

Yeah, the solving late game gold problem might solve the late game city-state influence problem, it just shouldn't be trivial to ally with all the city-states simply through gold buying as it is now.

4. ExpiredReign

ExpiredReign Deity

While it might be possible to fix this another way by us doing something different. Why would you want that when there is the rather elegant and fleshed out fix in the form of Gazebo's CSD?

It is rare in my opinion to have a mod that just simply does the job intended and in such a way that you don't even notice it is there. CSD just does the job.:goodjob:

5. ShmooDude

ShmooDude Chieftain

Well, CEP should still be balance in its own right though. Whether that requires any changes in this particular case is up for debate :)

6. BrokenSky

BrokenSky Warlord

Could there be a thing put in where being a CS's friend or ally slowly (very slowly) increases the resting points, so its easier to keep CS allied than it is for rich civs to buy them?

7. EricB

EricB Prince

The late game gold is a big problem, but will probably be addressed by increasing maintenance costs for buildings and units, particularly buildings.

8. Myrion

Myrion Chieftain

I like CSD but it's been a while since I played it combined with CEP. The real trouble I see though is that if there is no gold sink - and let's face it, there is a lot of gold in the late game - there will be far more troops on the map which forces everyone into a militaristic game and also making war even more tedious, because you have to navigate triple the amount of troops and have to face an increased number of troops as well.

I've said it before: the more allied CS a Civ has, the faster the influence should drop. That would finally make the diplomatic victory non-trivial, it would keep WC votes balanced and actually force diplomatic Civs like Greece or Siam to work for success.

9. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch Supporter

I've got a mechanism for gold purchasing for the AI in place in CSD, and, in the games I've run (a bunch), I don't see a substantially larger amount of troops on the map. The AI is smart enough to stop building troops if it is losing money or over its support cap, so what happens is that the AI simply reaches that soft cap of infrastructure and military size faster. In terms of competitive play, this is a good thing, in my opinion. I find the AI, when using gold on buildings/units instead of city-states, is much more competitive in the late-game than without the ability to do so.

G