1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Late game crashes, FYI...

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Macintosh' started by oakdragon, Nov 2, 2016.

1. oakdragon

oakdragon Stagnating amongst the Siliconians Supporter

I'm trying out the Game of The Month for this month from the forum here and I've had 8 crashes so far in about the last 120 turns, (starting at about 225 or so). :(

It's a game on a Standard size map with the default 8 civs.

2. Oleary

Oleary OF Supporter

That's not good. Do you think it's settings from the Game of the Month? I haven't crashed (yet) but probably jinxing myself.

3. CGPanama

CGPanama Warlord

I have also seen increased crashes late game. I often turn on Strategic View when going through a period with minimal movement/actions. But then turn it off to go to war/look around.

I have not seen a consistent reason why it will happen. I have been late game on a huge map with multiple wars and had no problem. Then crashed every other turn for 10-12 turns on a small map with nothing happening.

4. oakdragon

I don't think so. They seem to be at random and feel like the late game, out-of-memory crashes I get with Aspyr games. Since they said the 650M is not supported for exactly this reason, I'm not going to bother reporting it as a bug because I doubt it's high on their list of things to fix. I had just hoped a Standard map was not going to be a "larger" map. It only happens with the largest ones in Civ V. I do play with bloom, shadows, dynamic lighting, 2-pass reflections, and leader animations on (low), so one of those might have something to do with it, but I get the feeling they don't.

5. oakdragon

That's very interesting. I wonder what's going on there.

6. oakdragon

Update: my game finished tonight on turn 386 and I did not have any crashes today. I did do a couple of things, though, namely switching to full screen mode and updating the OS (I'm in the public beta program, so I have access to the public betas of Sierra.) I don't know if the lack of crashes was due to the screen mode, updating the OS, or just the fact that the game was not open as long. I suspect the latter, which leads to conclude it's a memory leak. It's sad that Aspyr doesn't consider memory leaks a problem.

Oleary likes this.
  7. narmox

narmox Emperor

Not sure what spurs this conclusion? Finding a memory leak and patching it, once and for all, are two quite different things. One is much easier than the other. ;)

8. oakdragon

What spurs that conclusion is that the symptoms are there and, rather than trying to fix it, Aspyr's solution is "don't buy the game".

9. manu-fan

manu-fan Emperor

I had a crash this morning. Looking as my Activity Monitor after the crash, it seemed that I was approaching max memory usage of 8GB. I started it up again and kept an eye on memory and managed to stay at about 7.6 of 8GB used. Phew.

10. oakdragon

FWIW, I stopped having crashes after switching to only playing in full screen mode.

11. Alan Palmer

Alan Palmer Chieftain

As narmox indicates, Aspyr's current solution might be not to buy the game but that doesn't mean they're not trying to fix any memory leak.

12. oakdragon

I see what you mean, but Aspyr has a history of this with their games, so I'm trying to not set myself up to be too disappointed.