Late-game upgrade to supercarriers suggestion

Guest01

Chieftain
As game already implement modern ship designs such as stealth destoyer and missile cruiser maybe its would be worth also add late upgrade for supercarrier (see Gerald R. Ford-class aircraft carriers )? Same hull design (no need for new model), just some inprovements in air defence and probably free drill promotion?..

Also minor suggestion about lite version of mod: by removing of movies for new wonders you could further decrease size of that version.

In civ4 terms that class of ship would still be covered under the supercarrier unit. What I will do though is up the intercept chance of Supercarriers to 40% and give them 1 first strike. Their intercept is a bit too low. BtW, did you notice their capacity has been boosted to 7 aircraft in 0.9.7, they should be significantly better now as is?

Well, its just seemed little bit strange that carriers didn't get any updates at final techs while many other branches of units did.

BtW, did you notice their capacity has been boosted to 7 aircraft in 0.9.7, they should be significantly better now as is?

Not yet. I want to finish current game at 0.9.6 then download and try new version. But increased capacity seems to be good idea.

Also, do you considered adding anti-ship missiles?
And how about late-game version of privateers?

Also, do you considered adding anti-ship missiles?
No, with how Civ4 battle mechanics work, the cruise missile is a good anti-ship missile in it's own right. I don't really see any game play reason to add a different type.
And how about late-game version of privateers?
I've thought about it. But ultimately I decided it doesn't make much sense. The days of major powers paying off pirates to plunder foreign treasure ships is long since past. In today's world the only pirates that exist on the high seas are those produced by crime and poverty, and wouldn't make sense as a national unit. I suppose we could give the barbarians a destroyer replacement so that if there is any coast in the late game that isn't in someone's line of sight modern privateers could spawn under barbarian control; but that's about the only way it could work, and that doesn't really seem worth it.

I've thought about it. But ultimately I decided it doesn't make much sense. The days of major powers paying off pirates to plunder foreign treasure ships is long since past. In today's world the only pirates that exist on the high seas are those produced by crime and poverty, and wouldn't make sense as a national unit. I suppose we could give the barbarians a destroyer replacement so that if there is any coast in the late game that isn't in someone's line of sight modern privateers could spawn under barbarian control; but that's about the only way it could work, and that doesn't really seem worth it.

Your argument makes sense. But on the other hand practically every country with coastline today keeps some number of coastguard ships. At the very least those control compliance to customs regulations. Lack of coastguard may lead to economic losses. Maybe it would be interesting to find some jobs for barbarians here?

Top Bottom