Late Game Warfare at Tech Superiority

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Framesticker, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Framesticker

Framesticker Prince

So today I started my last Monarch game (won 2 games on Continents, 1 on Pangaea, 2 on Archipelago and 2 on Terra so I decided to move on). It was Randon Leader/Continents/Normal, a pretty standard setting. I got Lous XIV (which is a very nice leader IMHO). I started on a continent with Zara Yaqob, Montezuma, Isabella and Sitting Bull, with Bull and Izzy being my immediate neighbours. Long story short, I smashed Izzy very early on with HAs, took out Bull's 11 cities with a single Knight/Mace/Catapult, then had Monty declare on me since Zara bribed him (#%#@, we even shared a religion). I repelled pretty easily and used Musketeers (the 2 moves helped A LOT) to vassal him later as taking all his cities would be a lot of effort.

I then met the other continents - two isolated civs, 1 was Alexander (who appeared to have destroyed Egypt early on since he had Thebes, though I don't recall seeing "Egyptian Civlization has been destroyed!!"). He was very backwards compared to me and Zara (didn't have CoL in about 1500AD). The other one was Willem who too had very little technology on me. I then decided to go for a Diplomation win by UN by vassaling Willem, Alex and possibly Zara if I need to (that would Conquest, but never mind). I easily got them both to capitulate (sent about 20 Infantry to both of their islands, got easy caps) and then turned to Zara. I had Tanks and a lot of production power at that point while he just stole Assembly Line from me. I quickly made two 30 tanks SoDs (was pushing at about 6 tanks/turn) and took him over in about 15 turns (thanks to blitz).

This lead to an interesting conclusion. I didn't use ANY siege on Zara and yet I came out of the war with about 40 of my original 60 while fighting Infantry. Does this mean that I can get away with using no siege if I bring overwhelming numbers? It definitely seemed like it here, but since I see siege emphasized so much here I wanted a second opinion.

2. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

If you don't care about losses, then you can live without siege or air support ( or in last instance, nukes ). You can definitely lget away with it if you have enough of both tech advantage and prod power ( and some way of dealing with WW ) , but I can assure you that you would had most likely less losses if you had bringed some softeners ...

That said, as you were putting 2 move units + blitz vs rifles most of the time ( even if he stolen Ass. Line , he probably didn't had time to build a lot of them, and at best he upgraded some ), you had a huge advantage in terms of mobility and that most likely allowed you to capture cities far faster than if you had moved slower and given him time to build infantries en masse

3. Framesticker

Framesticker Prince

I didn't care much about losses - it was endgame and I was either going to vassal him (and win Conquest) or get peace and wait for the UN vote to come up (it was 2 turns from completion I think when I won). The thing is, I rarely came across anything other than Infantry (he'd stolen it about 10 turns before I launched an attack). True, he'd had some obselte (typo? I've no idea how to spell that) Medieval units, but other than that it was all Infantry and even some Anti-Tank towards the end.

4. Grashopa

Grashopa Emperor

Obviously you don't need overwhelming numbers if you had bombers with you - which if it means you can attack earlier with more units than its preferable to bring the bombers. But obviously getting bombers could have taken longer than building 30 extra tanks.

5. GreenShift84

GreenShift84 Chieftain

While the answer to your question is technically yes, its usually not the best way to run an assault. Try using some of the hammers to build, say ~10 air support units (airships/fighters/bombers depending on your tech), instead of just more tanks.

6. mmdmmd

mmdmmd Chieftain

question on Bombers. When you don't have enough to take out city culture in one turn, do you attack with them instead or still bomb culture?

7. GreenShift84

GreenShift84 Chieftain

I'm assuming you are planning on trying to capture the city on the same turn, and in that case just attack with the last few bombers. Often there are just a few key defenders per city, and once they take damage the rest fall more easily (this is why having a few CRIII attack units as "nutcrackers" can be a large help). Knocking down the strength of the main CG riflemen/infantry defenders can make a much bigger difference than bombarding the last little bit of cultural defense, and also helps to insure those valuable nutcracker guys stay alive. However, if attacking with the bombers would leave many defenders of about the same quality as before, it can be better play to bomb the rest of the culture away then wait until the next turn before attacking, allowing a full barrage of bomber runs. Next time you hit a situation like this in a game, save at that point so you can go back and replay the attack using different strats (after you finish the game of course) for comparison.

8. NihilZero

NihilZero WHEOOHRNY

Thebes, apart from being the Greek name for a place in Egypt, was also a rather famous Greek city-state (which was brutally sacked by Alexander, as it happens and it's one of the Greek city names in civ.

On topic, if you can bring overwhelming numbers then of course you can technically win with any troop types, even at a tech deficit. However, you generally want to strive for maximum efficiency, especially as you move up the levels, as tech advantages tend to disappear fast and war weariness from losses can begin to mount up.

So, if you don't want to bring siege, then softening up the enemy using units with good withdrawal chances or air support (or both) are alternatives you might consider.