Latest Obama Military Reform

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bugwar, Oct 24, 2013.

1. bugwar

bugwar Emperor

2. DinoDoc

DinoDoc Deity

Waste of money.

3. bhsup

bhsup Deity

WM hats didn't look like the ones on left when I was in decades ago, so not sure where the article is getting the thing about them being unchanged since 1922. That said, I like that they've apparently been changed to look more like the male ones. Seems Obama wants both of them to go back towards how the WM hats used to look. And... why in the world is the President getting so personally involved in military uniforms?

4. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

Where does it say Obama is personally involved?

Articles like to use that name so a certain kind of people will go: Rah!

5. bhsup

bhsup Deity

Right in the article...
    That may well be the case, but again, it was right in the article that said it was Obama. I wasn't making it up or creating that link in my own mind.

6. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

I'm fine with the change. The wide top part of the old hat looks silly and overblown (like what you expect out of some tinpot sordid little dictatorship).
    Plus, the new one looks like the kepi worn by the French Foreign Legion.

7. DinoDoc

DinoDoc Deity

I don't really care myself, Ajidica. I just don't think the change is worth 8 million.

8. Ziggy Stardust

Not that he was personally involved.

But Ok, Rah! I guess :)

9. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

You are aware how little $8 million is when compared to the total US budget?
    The government could probably find $8 million by looking in the back of couches and desk drawers. If my quick math was right, $8 million is 5^-13% of total US deficit. An absolutely miniscule amount.

EDIT: After actually looking at the article, I have come to the conclusion crap article is crap. The only two things it cites is an interview conducted by the New York Post (eww) and an unnamed Marine on what sounds like an internet forum.

10. bhsup

bhsup Deity

Actually, the wording did say that. An article would usually say "the Obama administration" or "officials in the administration" etc. This specifically just said Obama, so the implication is that he was personally involved. Again, "Marines are decrying a new look President Obama has planned for their uniforms." That wording clearly indicates personal involvement. But you go ahead and assume I was "RAH'ing" along when it was in fact just a minor point at the end of my post that you latched onto and insisted on dragging out.

11. DinoDoc

DinoDoc Deity

Take care of the pence and the pounds will take care of themselves is as true of personal habits as of money. - 1912, G. B. Shaw, Pygmalion ii. 132

12. Ziggy Stardust

At least I caused the birth of a new verb.

I'll not push it before the Rah becomes reality.

"Latched on and insisted on dragging out" was funny though :lol:

13. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

The new ones look marginally less ridiculous. But the weirder the better for military headwear, so bad change.

14. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

Yeah. The Washington Times said so, so it must be true.:lol:

It is amazing how much Obama personally does, completely unlike any past Republican president. I bet it's because he wants to intentionally disgrace the Marine Corps by making them wear "girly" hats that remind bigots in the military of the French.

15. DinoDoc

DinoDoc Deity

I'm amazed by the shear number of things that happen in his Administration he finds out about through the media.

16. peter grimes

peter grimes ... Retired Moderator

Until someone can show that Obama did anything more than as his Secretary of Defense to pursue an updated uniform policy designed to reflect the further integration of women into the services, I'm going to have to assume that he didn't. No evidence, no dice.

The most I've been able to find:
    "Thanks to a plan by President Obama to create a “unisex” look for the Corps..."

17. schlaufuchs

schlaufuchs La Femme Moderne

Assuming he actually is, and this article isn't a load of bollocks exaggerating a story to denigrate our President...(a rather tenuous assumption to begin with). Obama is the Commander in Chief. Getting involved in military affairs is kind of his job.

18. Ziggy Stardust

Ok, now I am sorry I answered that question.

19. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

Yeah, I can see what they're getting at.

20. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Wasn't there a similar controversy about the navy jack during the Bush administration?