Latest update killed direct IP connection

Aweather

Chieftain
The direct IP connection option is missing after the lastest update. Does anyone know how to fix this? Any suggestions would be highly appreciated!

At the moment the only solution seems to be to purchase a CD version of the game. It's only on the Steam version that Direct IP no longer works. I realise purchasing another copy of the game is not a great solution, though.

I've emailed 2K about this issue.

The recent Steam multiplayer update for Civilization IV - specifically the removal of "Direct IP" - has broken the Pitboss functionality of the game for Steam users. There is a small but enthusiastic community of several hundred people who still play active Civilization IV Pitboss games daily (see e.g. http://www.civstats.com/allgames.php for one of several sites tracking these games).

As of today, Direct IP functionality was removed for Steam users, which means only users with the CD version of the game can continue playing Pitboss games. As a result, a significant number of Pitboss players are unable to continue to play in games they have invested - in many cases - months of their time into.

Pitboss games are hosted locally by individuals on a private server to which other players can connect via Direct IP, with each game typically running for 6-12 months. Pitboss games are not, and have never been, connected through Gamespy or any third party. There is no practical reason why Pitboss games need be affected by the end of Gamespy services. I can only imagine legal reasons (e.g. attempting to make all multiplayer exclusive to Steam).

I would like to urge any parties responsible to reconsider the removal of "Direct IP" from Steam version of Civilization IV. The hundreds of Pitboss enthusiasts are a small fraction of the total multiplayer audience, but they too are paying customers. It does not seem right to remove functionality from their games which is entirely unrelated to Gamespy/Steam services, especially since CD users still maintain full access to Direct IP and Pitboss.

Please re-integrate Direct IP functionality into the Steam version to accommodate the hundreds of Pitboss enthusiasts! If you are unable to help, please forward this email to someone who can. Hundreds of paying customers are awaiting an answer.

I have made a post in the official 2K forums about the removal of Direct IP from Steam versions of the game. Here it is:

http://forums.2k.com/showthread.php?563191-Steam-multiplayer-update-and-Civilization-IV-Pitboss

To everyone who plays Direct IP games: Please take a minute to register an account, and make a short post in the thread linked above.

I suggest to write in your short message:

- Your username and which civ fansite(s) you hail from.
- Which version of the game you purchased (CD or Steam).
- Mention how this issue affects all players, because even CD users can't continue Direct IP games with Steam users. The removal of Direct IP from Steam divides an already small multiplayer community down the middle.
- End with a strong request that Direct IP be re-integrated into the Steam version of Civ4.

Feel free to use your own words. Be firm, but civil - profanity won't help the cause.

For example, in my case:

I am Lord Parkin from Civfanatics and Realms Beyond. I purchased the CD version of Civ4. I am deeply disappointed with the removal of Direct IP from Steam versions, because all of my friends with the Steam version can no longer play in our Pitboss games together. This issue has needlessly divided our community. Please re-integrate Direct IP into the Steam version of the Civ4.

Please register an account and post your own quick message in the thread linked above now. It only takes a minute, and it could make a real difference! :)

I have done a temporary fix, depends if you have enough system space. Takes around 4GB

Copy all the files in the steam/steamapps/common folder from a previous system state and move them to a USB key. Then turn off the auto updates. You can then copy whichever set off game files you want depending on whether you want to try and find a game in the lobby or play Direct IP/PBEM games.

I just reopened and the Direct internet connection option is back

Good to know.

Still, it would be nice if 2K/Steam recognized that it's much nicer to just make Direct IP available on all versions of the game, rather than to force people to fiddle about with their games to re-enable the setting.

I just bump into the same trouble. 2K now offers an official solution: http://support.2k.com/hc/en-us/arti...eamworks-Civilization-IV-Unsupported-on-Steam. They posted a link on it in the thread initiated by Lord Parkin on 2K forum, so thanks to him for his post, it probably pushed 2K to give an official fix.
In case the 2K support page get removed, I copy here the textual part of it, should be enough to apply the fix:

Due to requests that the Direct IP multiplayer option remain available for the Civilization IV titles after the switch to Steamworks, we are making the Original GameSpy Version of the Civilization IV titles available for download via Steam. This will allow players to continue Direct IP games if they wish to do so. Please note: this version of the Civilization IV titles will be unsupported. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Before Installation: note that Civilization IV and its expansions are listed twice in the Steam Library page. This is due to the fact that the Mac versions of these titles are listed separately from the PC versions. Please make sure you are attempting to activate the Beta tag for this title under the correct version of the game for your platform (only available on PC).

In order to set up the Original Release – UNSUPPORTED version of Civilization IV in Steam you will need to opt-in to the beta we have uploaded to Steam.

1. In your Steam Library, right-click Civilization IV (or any of the expansions) and select “Properties.”

2. Select the “Betas” tab. As the tag for the pre-Steamworks version is only available for PC, if you do not see it listed, you may be looking at the Mac Steam listing (which did not receive the Steamworks update).

3. The Beta tag Original Release – UNSUPPORTED will appear in the Beta dropdown list. Select it and close the Properties window.

4. Steam should now update Civilization IV to the Original Gamespy Version. If the update does not start automatically, launch the game to force the update process.

Top Bottom