Launching a game & doing it right

Decimator

Chieftain
After the best CIV experience I've ever had and a couple of lousy PBEMs, I'm coming to realize that certain stars need to be aligned for a PBEM game to be successful. I propose a game based on the following criteria:

- Version: BTS 3.19

- Balance: 5 players, odd number to avoid polarization.

- Balance: A bunch of random A.I.s, noble for difficulty.

- Balance: First come first served for civ choice.

- Synchronization: Player is in one of the following timezones: Pacific, Mountain, Central or Eastern.

- Game flow: Player has an occupation that lets him take turns. You have CIV on your work computer or a laptop and the boss is cool with a turn here and there. This doesn't mean you need to walk out of a meeting to take your turn. This means when you have 5 minutes, keep the turns flowing for everyone.

- Games flow: a pace of at least 2 turns per day is aimed for. This means the game is expected to take around 6 months worst case.

- Availability: Player is around for the next 6 months.

- Dedication: Player had PBEM'd before and is eager to do it again. One sentence conveying previous PBEM experience will be provided by Player and voted on by current players. Player will become current player upon positive vote result.

- Dedication: Player is the type of geek that carries a computer around everywhere & stays connected (vacation, conferences, et cetera). This doesn't mean that Player has to take his turn at a funeral.

- Dedication: Player is the type of geek that carries a smart phone and will want to get an alert during the day to let him know that his turn is ready.

- Dedication: Player will play the cards that are dealt to him, no matter what & until the end. There will be lame start spots, backstabbing, treason, A.I.s with fat stacks pillaging your cities not to mention what we'll do to each other. Player realizes that making the most of crappy situations is where the fun is.

- Technical: Mac PBEM is incompatible with Windows PBEM, we'll need to decide beforehand which platform we all want to use. This might mean we're spending $$ for Civ on steam.

In exchange for being an awesome player, an equally awesome PBEM infrastructure will be provided:

- A mail server it at the ready with custom scripts on the back end to receive turns and send them to the next player. This means you don't need to upload your savegames to a crappy web interface, you don't need to email them manually to the next player. All you do is get an email, click on the link, take your turn and click "send". Done.

- A forum will be provided for our communication needs.

Anything I missed? I'm curious to see if this will get anyone interested.

- Games flow: a pace of at least 2 turns per day is aimed for. This means the game is expected to take around 6 months worst case.

I'd be interested but I'd say this following limitation is probably what will screw you from getting the players you need. The high majority of people don't have jobs that allow you to take a turn while at work. 1 turn per day after work is realistic and possible in a small game.

I am eastern timezone and can do as many turns as I get AFTER work. other than specific situations which are known in advance, that means every day, more on weekends.

If you are willing to be flexible, I'm in. Otherwise... good luck finding people who can do turns at work and no get fired when they get caught lol

I've never had a job where I couldn't take turns at work. I guess that makes me lucky may I ask what your field of work is?

I'm in I.T. the vast majority of people I know in this field are on call and work after hours which means we don't feel bad taking a turn here and there.

Do you get breaks?

Just curious. I'd rather spread a few turns throughout the day than cram them at the end but I realize I may not have a choice :). This is why I'm throwing that out there, to see what responses are thrown back.

I've never had a job where I couldn't take turns at work. I guess that makes me lucky may I ask what your field of work is?

I'm in I.T. the vast majority of people I know in this field are on call and work after hours which means we don't feel bad taking a turn here and there.

Do you get breaks?

Just curious. I'd rather spread a few turns throughout the day than cram them at the end but I realize I may not have a choice :). This is why I'm throwing that out there, to see what responses are thrown back.

I'm in accounting. I sit at my computer all day and hit refresh on this page constantly :p But its a very much 9-5 type of job in an office and if I was to sit there and take a turn during the day and get caught I'd very likely get fired. There's lots of flexibility with my job, but playing video games in the office isn't part of it unfortunately. I've taken turns during the day before, but its on my lunch break and it involves downloading the turn from the internet, packing up the laptop, taking it to my car or a separate location, doing turn, uploading it back again when I come back. Just a painful process that I've only done rarely for very key points in a game that I get too excited to wait for lol. That being said, I do have a laptop with my job, civ is loaded on it and I take it literally everywhere with me. I am available literally almost every day for turns, either after work or on weekends. Anytime I'm not available I know in advance and can give warning.

You might get a few people that can do multi-turns a day, but I haven't had a game yet where I've taken anything more than 1 turn per day. Even the smallest and most aggressive turnaround games get stalled up for 24 hours or more occasionally.

But depending on your response I will probably be in...

I'd be interested, but just like Nighthawk, I can't play at work. The good thing is I can play Mon-Fri before work and after work, and my work day is not that long. I'm hardly away from my civ laptop. Sat-Sun I can play all day unless I have a family function going on. My work schedule will change next June, but if this game does take 6 months I'm good to go.

As for dedication I rank right up there with the best. I have played PBEMs since CivIII PtW came out. I'm still involved in 3 CivIII PBEMs, 6 Civ IV PBEMs, 6 Warlords PBEMs, and about 12 BtS PBEMs. Also play the Revolutions mod. My iphone is synched to my e-mail so I do get the "beep" when an e-mail pops up. The wife knows that when I get the "beep" I'm getting up at the next commercial break.

I'm Eastern time zone.

I'd be interested, but just like Nighthawk, I can't play at work. The good thing is I can play Mon-Fri before work and after work, and my work day is not that long. I'm hardly away from my civ laptop. Sat-Sun I can play all day unless I have a family function going on. My work schedule will change next June, but if this game does take 6 months I'm good to go.

has any game lasted only 6 months

has any game lasted only 6 months

My fastest PBEM was just over a month. That was with 2 players.

My second fastest PBEM was about 3 months. That was with 3 players.

I have played several 4 player PBEMs that took about 6 months or less, never a 5 player PBEM in 6 months though.

mac and windows Civ's incompatible? how so? ive had 6 games with my iMac so far and on one i actually had problems, but that could have been something else beside the op sys difference.

anyway, wanted to add, in the light of recent developments on this forum, that an admin password MUST be set and it MUST be shared between at least 2 players at all times. so that even when the admin dissapears the game can continue.

Is the author still around? I don't intend to sound mean, but after reading the first post I would expect a reply. We have some good discussion going on here.

Is the author still around? I don't intend to sound mean, but after reading the first post I would expect a reply. We have some good discussion going on here.
i noticed that also.

Top Bottom