Launching Inquisition as a Convert

Uberfrog

Deity
A quick question: is it possible to use an Apostle to launch an Inquisition (and thus build Inquisitors) if you did not found a religion?

In my current game, I didn't bother pursuing a religion, but got converted to Buddhism early on. I rather like the beliefs that come with Buddhism, so I want to have it as majority religion in my cities. However along comes Brazil with his relentless Catholic Missionaries and Apostles to convert me. I have Holy Sites and can use my (huge) stockpile of faith to buy Apostles. However these Apostles don't have the option to launch an Inquisition. Is this working as intended, or another bug introduced by this new patch? I don't know because I haven't tried this before.

It's rather annoying as it leaves me with very little viable defence against conversion and no way at all (short of rolling the right Apostle promotion) to reconvert my cities. Thankfully Pedro is a long way from getting a Religious Victory, but it seems there's not much I can do to hinder him until I launch a military invasion.

I'd like for them to reintroduce Civ IV-style state religion so you can actually make clear what Religion you want to follow. Enough policies and beliefs work on a religion-by-religion basis (combat bonuses against different religions, etc) that it's important to know what religion a given unit is "following", something the game does not make at all clear.

Only the founder of a religion can launch inquisitions and buy inquisitors. Although they are far more expensive than inquisitors, apostles will be your best choice to defend your adopted religion.

I thought so, thanks. It's just as well I have a huge reserve of Faith (helped by finding the Ark of the Covenant early on), as this is going to be an uphill battle...

As I have said elsewhere, future expansions need to give players diplomacy, policy-based & even military means to make life harder for unwanted missionaries & apostles to ply their wares.

I guess inquisitors could not be built by purely followers because they would then become a bastion for someone else's religious victory and they should be more neutral. If they have enough faith for apostles then the question is how they missed out on a religion in the first place.

As for preventing religious units entirely, religion is like an early form of cultural osmosis manifesting itself as little dudes. It's like it's replaced both the diplomatic victory and cultural dominance features from civ 5.

I guess inquisitors could not be built by purely followers because they would then become a bastion for someone else's religious victory and they should be more neutral. If they have enough faith for apostles then the question is how they missed out on a religion in the first place.

As for preventing religious units entirely, religion is like an early form of cultural osmosis manifesting itself as little dudes. It's like it's replaced both the diplomatic victory and cultural dominance features from civ 5.

However the player would have to be careful about being that bastion, as obviously stifling one player's spread is to the benefit of someone else's religion, while also considering the bonus you get from each religion. I'm not sure it's a more interesting game if religious non-founders are neutral bystanders to other people's religious victories.

Top Bottom