1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Lazygamer Zoe Hawkins reflects on "Hybrid Affinities" livestream

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by Westwall, Sep 5, 2015.

1. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

Excellent point!!

2. Westwall

Westwall Emperor

If it would help, then it's never irrelevant. As for time, I have difficulty believing that they could be this comprehensive with hybrid units... and yet somehow have no time left for hybrid air units or even just city designs.

Remember, units move. They need animations.

Cities meanwhile are static and require no motion animations whatsoever. I mean look at this for instance:

If they had time to make "ancient alien metropolises" (complete with moving parts), I'm pretty sure they have time for some hybrid affinity city designs.

3. Doviello

Doviello Warlord

Maaaaybe hybrids will have unique units to use in place of air units / subs, like how harmony has xeno cavalry you can use in place of the upgraded combat rovers? At this point i'm not very hopeful.

Eventually some modder will recolor the harmony plane purple and use it as H/S, the purity place white, etc, and the holes in the upgrade tree will be filled. But it really shouldn't be this way.

Imagine a tier 4 hybrid army with tier 3 subs and air, in a different color and theme, how lame. Or are hybrids so good they need to be balanced this way?

4. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

It's not really about having time. "Time" means man-hours, and that means money. Their art budget clearly went into new unit designs, new biomes, revised aliens, Marvels, and supposedly Victory Movies. That's a lot of art. I can see why city art got pushed to the back burner.

Consider Civ V. They made about 5 city designs and never made any more through a bunch of DLC and 2 expansions. Obviously it's not a high priority.

5. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

Nailed it, Eagle Pursuit.

6. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

Exactly. What impact GAMEPLAY wise do cities have that already isn't covered? Your affinities or nothing else in the game changes your cities visauls, and their visuals don't imapct your game.

It's not a high priority because it's an aestethic thing that very few people actually pay attention to. Splashscreens are not only cheap to produce but they are also something that pops-up to your eye rather than the units/cities models, half the time I almost rarely notice them since they introduced unit banners and the City Banners are also a lot more eye-catching that the city model it represents.

The marvel city is part of something that influences gameplay.

Not to mention, the new Aircraft/Carrier thingies also are unlikely to "evolve" that much, besides we already have 1 new carrier (the flying fortress-esque one) anyway.

7. Westwall

Westwall Emperor

Either way, I think we should be hesitant to speculate too much as to what they did or did not have time or resources for.

All that does is run the risk of making excuses for them in one big circlerjerk, none of which we know are valid. What we can do is look at the game as it stands, and as it stands it has no hybrid cities or hybrid air units.

And that's something they should be working towards implementing, preferably sooner rather than waiting until another expansion a year from now.

8. GenEngineer

GenEngineer Prince

I think the lack of hybrid Air/Carriers is such a focus precisely because it's not a big deal - it seems like a small thing that's missing without a clear reason, breaking the pattern of all the other units. It's a bit less jarring for the Carrier, as it already has fewer levels than all the other units, so it defies the pattern (and it's perks establish a pattern that hybrids would have to break). That leaves just planes, and the fact that they're absent with everything else present leaves a noticeable gap, drawing attention if just to learn why the gap is present, like a missing piece of a jigsaw puzzle. You still get basically the same image, but the missing piece is strikingly noticeable in spite of that.

Again, with or without planes, it's merely aesthetics, but flash can add a lot to the game, and when we can dive into the new systems, it's the easiest thing to look and and praise/critique

9. Westwall

Westwall Emperor

Nailed it, GenEngineer. Well said.

10. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

You keep using this term "making excuses" any time someone tries to explain why the game is a certain way. So, basically, we are never allowed to try to explain why something might be the way it is, if we are, we are "making excuses"? According to you, we are only allowed to bash the devs for everything we think might be wrong?

If the reason for no hybrid cities, is because the devs chose to put their limited budget in new victory movies, new marvels, new hybrid units etc, that is not making an excuse, it is simply describing the choice they made.

11. Westwall

Westwall Emperor

Well it's making excuses because it's completely unsubstantiated. The fact is you don't know and instead of framing your explanations as "maybe," you're more or less positing them as fact.

We might as well be writing bad fanfiction.

Likewise I'd argue that whenever anyone tries to turn a skeptical or discerning eye at what the developers are doing or leaving out, you seem quick to refer to it as bashing.

The game isn't even out yet, this is absolutely the time to be asking questions instead of patting everyone on the back over a job well done.

12. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

The opposite could also be said. The game is not out yet, so why not wait to have all the facts before questioning and criticizing?

13. GenEngineer

GenEngineer Prince

But we can't help but not Ty and answer why they're missing - it's the same reason we're bothered by their absence. Now if we where saying that they left them out for reason X, and that makes it ok; that would be making excuses. Simply putting for possible explanations to understand it, without trying to encourage judgement one way or another is a different thing.

Take the explanation that it was a lower priority time crunch. Just suggesting that is merely providing a possible explanation. Saying that they shouldn't have considered moving the release date or plan on adding shortly after release, or saying that it's fine because it doesn't matter is making excuses

14. Westwall

Westwall Emperor

Precisely because we haven't bought it yet, and knowing the details would help us to reach a more informed decision.

As responsible, discerning consumers we not only have the right but the responsibility to find what exactly we're getting out of a product. Especially if, like me, we weren't exactly impressed with the initial offering but would still like to have faith that this game can do better.

No hybrid air units? Okay, why not? This is a question I should be allowed to ask. And you can try to offer an explanation, but don't start telling me I should accept it at face value without official word from the developers themselves.

15. I_pity_the_fool

I_pity_the_fool Warlord

I'd like to point out that this sort of hybrid art style exists in the base game and turns up when you get roughly equal amounts of affinity.

example:

Spoiler :

16. Westwall

Westwall Emperor

Which incidentally looks less like hybridization and more like apartheid. :p

17. GenEngineer

GenEngineer Prince

@Westwall - so, Hybrid when the Purists are still mostly unsure about even robot servants

18. Westwall

Westwall Emperor

Seems like more reason to keep them under closer watch than putting them in their own segregated communities where they can be left to better plan and organize.

19. Gritf

Gritf Chieftain

Have you noticed that even the expansion gives importance to water cities and water combat, none of the new hybrid units is designed for water gameplay?

20. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

Not true. The naval ships like the patrol boat have hybrid units. Also the hybrid units that can hover, will be able to fight on water so they count as "water units".