LC's Deity LP #4 - Poland!

Light Cleric

ElCee/LC/El Cid
Totally forgot to make a thread here.

So I decided to do a Brave New World LP semi-blind; I haven't gotten to play a ton since release and I wasn't in any betas and stuff so I'm kinda flying by the seat of my pants in this one. I might crash and burn but at least I'll make a spectacle doing it. :lol: Episode 2 is coming soon.

Playlist, currently at Episode 18

These have been a great watch, you got a fun map and your reactions to the game's is great :p

I thoroughly enjoy your LPs. It is amusing to see you learn BNW while recording.
What I enjoy most is your decisiveness e.g. not planning for 120 turns to attack, but just doing it and how you can make anything work even on Deity.

These LPs are great, I'm learning a lot. Keep up the good work LC, looking forward to the next episode!

Nice! I like the pace you play at and the explanations of what you're doing and why.

I thoroughly enjoy your LPs. It is amusing to see you learn BNW while recording.
What I enjoy most is your decisiveness e.g. not planning for 120 turns to attack, but just doing it and how you can make anything work even on Deity.

Ha, nice reference to MadJinn's game.

I don't know how many people get a chance to mention it but there are a lot of people who really appreciate the effort you put in to making these.

Thanks!

Hey LP, Thanks for the games, I love watching you play!

2 things I would add if you don't mind:
1.Do you think settling on resources is still a good practice in BNW? Having less money on the map makes it less viable, and having the lux as soon as you settle is not as powerful as the AI doesn't have the gpt to pay for it right away. Also lump sum trade is quite off while stomping on neighbors and having no friends.
2.The third city i would have settled on the coast, as see trade routes are awesome now. A good see port will be able to have trade routes worth more than 20gpt and some science.

Keep it up!

I just want to bump this up in case people have missed this. These LP's are really fun to watch because Light Cleric has a constant itch to be at war. I really do enjoy these LP's a lot.

So I totally forgot this thread existed.:crazyeye:

I decided to just link to the playlist rather than adding each episode manually. This game has been HARD, partly due to my own suboptimal decisions in some places, but I see the light at the end of the tunnel(unless it's a freight train comin' my way...carrying spaceship parts :().

I'm open to suggestions for the next LP. I'm leaning towards Indonesia on a water map, either Large Islands or Archipelago to make use of their UA. My first four LPs have gone Pangaea/Continents/Pangea/Continents without any real Naval combat, so I'd like to show that off and not play the same two map types over and over. On the other hand, the more water a map has the easier it tends to be, which is why I often don't play them especially since the game can be won at Navigation(or Electronics if you lack Iron/the means to acquire it).

Hey LP, Thanks for the games, I love watching you play!

2 things I would add if you don't mind:
1.Do you think settling on resources is still a good practice in BNW? Having less money on the map makes it less viable, and having the lux as soon as you settle is not as powerful as the AI doesn't have the gpt to pay for it right away. Also lump sum trade is quite off while stomping on neighbors and having no friends.
2.The third city i would have settled on the coast, as see trade routes are awesome now. A good see port will be able to have trade routes worth more than 20gpt and some science.

Keep it up!

1)You still get 6 gpt for the Lux, which is decent, and you also get to avoid -4 unhappiness if you decide to keep it. In BNW I might not settle on, say, a Mining Lux as often, but I will bend over backwards to settle on a Jungle luxury and avoid having to go Bronze + chop the Jungle.. Jungles blow :(
2)Yeah I agree it should have been. When I started this I was completely blind to BNW and didn't know coastal routes were doubled.

Try Indonesia if you dare. I refuse to play them again until they fix that idiotic UU.

But whatever you choose, looking forward to it.

Some suggestions/ideas if you are going to do water map:
1. Pick water biased opponents. Polynesia, England, Carthage, Korea etc
2. How about small continents and/or low sea level?
3. Go for culture victory
4. Dont bribe anyone into war :D

Blicero whats wrong with Indonesia UU? It's very funny and you can get enemy blade achievement :D :D

Ps. It's not advicable to settle new cities directly on resource tile with indonesia because their UA will replace former resource with unique luxury resource. That happened for me with iron wich I needed for frigates. I was quite dissapointed.

Please don't do an archipelago map. If you go with Indonesia on archipelago you will not get to take full advantage of their ridiculous UU. Also, the ai is really bad with their navy so it kind of feels like cheating selecting archipelago.

Since you're looking for a new type of map I'm going to vote for England on a European style map. I've never played with the European map, so I don't know if it is any good, but if it's anything like Europe, there should be naval and land wars. I know it is your choice in the end, but the absolute wateriest map I would go with is small continents. Even that is a stretch.

People have asked about cultural victory. I would like to do one but it's difficult by my nature. I've tried a few and end up getting put to sleep about 100 turns in by the more docile BNW AI. I could go warmonger myself but then I would feel like I should just go straight Domination. Still I have a few ideas to make things a bit more interesting. I may try Siam because popping 4 Wats with Legalism is fun and I haven't played Siam much.

Some suggestions/ideas if you are going to do water map:
1. Pick water biased opponents. Polynesia, England, Carthage, Korea etc
2. How about small continents and/or low sea level?
3. Go for culture victory
4. Dont bribe anyone into war :D

Blicero whats wrong with Indonesia UU? It's very funny and you can get enemy blade achievement :D :D

Ps. It's not advicable to settle new cities directly on resource tile with indonesia because their UA will replace former resource with unique luxury resource. That happened for me with iron wich I needed for frigates. I was quite dissapointed.

If I did go Archipelago I would definitely restrict myself in some way like CV-only, yeah.

Good to know about the resource thing, thanks. :)
Please don't do an archipelago map. If you go with Indonesia on archipelago you will not get to take full advantage of their ridiculous UU. Also, the ai is really bad with their navy so it kind of feels like cheating selecting archipelago.

Since you're looking for a new type of map I'm going to vote for England on a European style map. I've never played with the European map, so I don't know if it is any good, but if it's anything like Europe, there should be naval and land wars. I know it is your choice in the end, but the absolute wateriest map I would go with is small continents. Even that is a stretch.

What I'm really looking for is a map to use both Indonesia's UA and UU. The UU might be hard to use anyway if I don't get Iron and because Swordsmen are just hard to use on Deity anyway but some of these promotions look ridiculous lol. Archipelagos and (water maps in general tbh) just put me to sleep so I wasn't really looking to do that anyway.

I'll consider the England/Europe idea. I thought about putting a poll up for feedback on who I should play next but I don't think I can add a poll after the fact huh?

awesome stuff. Probably the most interesting LP I have watched :)
Its a bit dumb how the AI handles that SV tho. If Seijong was building that Engine in the cap instead of the pointless CN Tower it would have been a way shorter video I guess.

I was pretty confused how he got that much science to do all that without academies (at least I don't think I saw any), no Observatories in his main cities, and even no Hubble. And all that while having 2 or 3 Manufactories next to Seoul.

I know about their UA, but still it felt a bit too much.

Would love to see some slightly unconventional settings. For example:

Terra map
10-12 civs on a standard size
Fewer city states

And then perhaps go heavy on religion and try and leverage that into whatever VC you choose.

Great LPs by the way!

Re: Culture victory

What could be interesting is if you go for an Autocracy Culture win. I haven't seen any of those anywhere yet, but they're really cool to pull off, and rewards aggressive culture and a domination style game, which should be right up your alley.

Boreal map ---> culture victory. Pick a strong civ. That map script is probably the hardest out there.

Also, re: Indonesia - Large Islands works fairly well, but some custom maps (say, those of Greece, or, obviously, eastern/south-eastern Asia) have a fairly fair combination with both land and islands.

Good news, I should have the final episode up tonight. This game is FINALLY over. Only took, what, 2 months? :mischief:

I'll still take suggestions for future games, but I am probably going to go with the England/Europe setup that Tinker hicks53081 suggested because I haven't played the Europe map before and I don't usually play England. Would be nice to have a bit of a mix of naval and land war.

Boreal map ---> culture victory. Pick a strong civ. That map script is probably the hardest out there.

This sounds...interesting. I haven't played the Boreal script. What should I expect other than "cold"? :lol: And what "strong" civ would you recommend? I am a scrub with culture.

Re: Culture victory

What could be interesting is if you go for an Autocracy Culture win. I haven't seen any of those anywhere yet, but they're really cool to pull off, and rewards aggressive culture and a domination style game, which should be right up your alley.

This is something I wanted to pull off with the old CV in Gods & Kings with Monty but I never got around to actually doing it properly.

Top Bottom