1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Leader addiction

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Quildavyr, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Quildavyr

Quildavyr Man of sick jokes!

Have anyone here a leader addiction?I mean,you play a game with a leader,then begin to other game as a other leader,then you feel yourself not so comfortable,because you are playing as a different leader.

I am used to play game as Justinian,Mehmed 2,Willem of Oranje.Any other leader makes me feel uncomfortable.Then the game makes no more sense.
    Even Suleiman of Ottomans makes me sick.How can i solve my problem?

2. Figaro

Figaro Tywysog

Try a completely new strategy. It's more strategy addiction than leader addiction, because the different leaders lend themselves to different strategies.

3. Honkoid

Honkoid Honk of the hill

Those leaders have completely different traits! Very strange addiction. :crazyeye:

4. Quildavyr

@Figaro:Maybe you are right.I have to change just my strategy.Maybe i should pay a visit to strategy part.

@Honkoid:Sie sind meine Helden. I love them because they are my heroes.

5. Soneji

Soneji Prince and Great Steward

I wish I could get a strategy guru to come and help me! There is always something that gives before or early in medivial period!

6. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

I've been stuck on Mehmed, Stalin and Alex at various points... it can be kind of hard to resist a leader who you do very well with

7. Quildavyr

I agree it.But i want something different.

8. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

I love Mali and Maya.

9. Khamul

Khamul Warlord

I don't really know what are you taking about. I always select different leader. I have played at least one game with every leader (well, not yet all BtS leaders), except american leaders (those guys don't stimulate me at all).

I want to try different leaders and different tactics. I think you can do decent game with every leader, you just need to figure out the right tactic. That is one thing why I like CIV, there is so many ways to play good game!

10. PibbZ

PibbZ Paladin

I've been trying Hammurabi (didnt play ONE single Civ2 game as anything else than babylonians, and i played it for a few years exclusively), ragnar and Pericles since TBS, but nobody really "got it all", and i returned to Victoria again in my current game.:king:

I also try to force myself to try a new strategy every game (aka playing offensive for a change, i always prefer bigger, well developed cities with an army fortified in the hills on borders specialized in defense. I only wage war if im attacked first, and it annoys me somewhat :rolleyes:

11. hest

hest Chieftain

Mehmed, Napoleon, Frederick and Elizabeth.

Org is a favourite, lizzy is a blast if you intend to do som hardcore teching.

12. bazola

bazola Chieftain

I love the dutch. I just can't help it. Financial plus dikes alone makes it the best civ in my opinion.

13. Jedoc

Jedoc Warlord

I'm the same way. I can have loads of fun with most other civs right up until steam power, then having to build levees instead of dikes just depresses me. Plus, I'm completely addicted to the Moai-Ironworks-Dike city. 2:food: 4:hammers: 3:commerce: for EVERY coastal tile? The city's a monster as soon as it comes online, and once you throw a golden age into the mix it just gets ridiculous.

I do try to play as many leaders as I can, but I always feel a bit hollow when the Industrial Age comes around.

14. Bast

Bast Protector of Cats

I've narrowed down to 5 leaders that I want to play regularly: Elizabeth, Victoria, Willem, Augustus and Pericles. I can't imagine now playing as anyone other than those 5.

15. Ruler

Ruler Prince

I played years with random leaders but currently as stepped up to higher level I play with Boudica. Base happness on higher levels just cause me too much stress. I just love Charismatic and Stonehenge in BtS is easy to pull off so almost immediately +2 happiness and free monuments for culture. Hunting and aggressive is good for archeries to hunt down barbs once they get experience (Charismatic helps you here.) from barbs they kickass in first war too. UU build is not so great but free Guerilla I promotion help you defend against AI stack on hill.

16. Quildavyr

I see here is other addicted players.I am glad to see it:D

17. Carnage04

Carnage04 Warlord

Another thing I've felt at times is not addiction to the leaders...but addiction to the UU or UB of the Civ. "OH MY GOD! HOW CAN I WIN WITHOUT QUECHYAS??!?!" "My Empire is way too sad without Hippodromes."...etc. When you are used to one type of UU or UB and you start looking through the list...they can all seem less useful because you have not used them actively.

18. hoopsnerd

hoopsnerd Prince

I'm totally addicted to Huayana Cupac. I can beat the game on Diety with him and him alone -- I dont think i can win on Immortal with anyone else unless im super lucky. I used to play Elizabeth exclusively, but I broke my addiction to her when I figured out the Quecha's unique ability to start you with 2 capital cities or a really weak neighbor.

I really can play almost any financial leader well, as im more addicted to the financial trait than anything else. I've played a game with every financial leader (except the Dutch now) and only played 1 game each with Frederick and Sueliman... So every game i've ever played but 2 ive been financial :).

19. EdCase

EdCase Defender of the Faithless

My addiction stems ..not from traits,UU or UB..but from the fact if I play anything other than English..i feel bad if they are in my game and I may have to "assimilate" them. It makes me feel feel like a lowdown dirty traitor to my place of birth.

Strange,sad..but true.

20. hoopsnerd

hoopsnerd Prince

Thats odd... I've NEVER played as America... but, the UU sux (late and . .. .. .. .. .), the UB sux (late and also . .. .. .. .. .), and the leaders suck (noone is financial). :)