Leader Fest: An Open Succession Game

Spoonwood

Grand Philosopher
Like jeffred's "whip frenzy" game http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=311850, this game will play as an open succession game.
- No one need post a turn-log, but I don't mind them if you really want to post one myself.

-You post "got it" and you play as many or as little turns as you like, with a minimum of 5. You have 48 hours to play once you've gotten it. If the SG has been inactive for 96 hours, you can take another turn.
- Please wait for the previous player's save before posting a "got it".
- No cheats or outright exploits. If you have a question, refer to the HOF rules and to your good judgement.
- No automation of any kind.
- Our trade rep is golden

The theme of this SG consists of trying to create as many great leaders (in Conquests) as we can and using those great leaders to their fullest extent. To that end...

- We may *only* build great or small wonders via scientific or militaristic great leaders. In other words we can't build a great wonder unless we have an SGL. We can't build a small wonder, unless we have an MGL or SGL to build it. This includes the Forbidden Palace. We have to build all small wonders, except for Integrated Defense.

- We'll probably want to keep a few AIs around, if not keep almost of them all around... although we'll keep that open for discussion.

- I suggest a 60% normal, warm, 5 billion map so we have as much flat territory as possible and decent production. I don't want more than the maximum number of tribes (in other words, not 31 tribes). But, I do suggest a huge or large map for more opponents. But, if the term prefers a standard sized map we'll do that.

- We'll have all victory conditions enabled, but we can only win by launching the spaceship. We cannot handbuild any of the spaceship parts. We have to MGL rush each spaceship part.

- We'll have 100 point bonus or something if we MGL rush Integrated Defense also.

- I suggest we play at a high level.. something like Demi-God or Deity, so we have more opportunities for leader farming. But, we'll do whatever the team feels comfortable with.

- We'll play as Russia for the blitz ability of Cossacks, or as Germany for the cheaper racks and easier promotions and for the 3 attack ability of Panzers. We'll want to do some research anyways for chances at SGLs.

1 point for each MGL.
2 points for each small wonder MGL rushed
5 points for each SGL
10 points for each Great Wonder SGL rushed
10 points for each spaceship part completed
25 extra points for MGL rushing Integrated Defense
(maybe this needs tweaked)

We'll clearly need any information about MGLs or SGLs, so please include this in your "report", but we don't need a turn-log per se.

Thoughts?

You'll want lots of land combat, so is sounds like a Pangea land mass.

Germany might be the better choice, since you will need 10 MGLs for the Space Ship. Those (the parts) can't be built until late, so you'll want to have as many chances for them as possible in the right time-frame. Panzers would do that better than Cossacks. Plus, that would also trigger a late-game Golden Age, so more Panzers could be built to generate more leaders.

Almost the same is true for Russia. It is just that their UU comes a bit earlier than Germany's.

:coffee:

:hmm:

Which could be a good thing, since I think the Cossack is cheaper than the Panzer. In that light, cheaper units = more units => more MGLs, so maybe Russia is the better choice after all.

My experience with Russia was tons of MGLs generated by Cossacks and later Tanks and MAs. A large or huge Pangaea with a high Dom limit (60% water) should be good. I would choose all the blockheads (Germany, Mongols, Zulu, Vikings, China, Arabs, Celts) as opponents with max aggression. I think it could be played at Emperor with those settings and still get tons of war. Maybe add "defiant" to the rules to stir the pot even more. And ther must be barbarians, maybe even raging.

A problem with Russia would be the number of techs popped from huts; not usually a problem, but in this context it would mean fewer SGL opportunities.

True, barbarians(huts) would probably mess the SGL picture up. We'll just consider everyone else barbarians and treat them accordingly.

If you play Deity, I doubt you will have to sweat lots of techs from huts, even with an expansionist.

Cossacks are not going to be getting a lot of blitz opportunities at this level on a Pan map. This is due to the not having lots of weak units to attack.

If it was an island map, then you could drop on to an island loaded with junk units. Even if the AI only has pikes, they are not easy for Cossacks, when forted in towns. If they have muskets and rifles.....

I hope your luck is better than mine on SGL's as they seem hard to come by for me, even in an easy game.

One question, why does everyone like wet? I hate jungles and marshes. I guess they are better than desert, but just barely.

Yeah, I wouldn't be too found of wet, especially not when you figure in blitzing opportunities. Moving in a jungle belt will be hell with Cossacks since they won't be able to use their blitz and mobility ot the fullest, or at all. But wet means more grassland after some worker turns...

I'd vote for Germany myself. With the late Golden Age, this means more Panzers and more Bombers, so less reliance on arty and thus more speed/more opportunities for leaders. Also, less tech popping from huts, but as was pointed out, if this is done at Deity, good luck on popping any tech, even while being expansionist. The only try I had with goody huts at this level, I popped gold once and then it was only maps.

SGLs are scarce anyway. I don't see us building many wonders. Capture is another matter entirely. :hammer: This will hurt the game science-wise (no TOE and thus easy bottleneck), but nothing some pointy stick/espionnage cannot solve.

We have to build all small wonders, except for Integrated Defense.

Maybe have a table giving points to small wonders built, because the numbers of MGLs required, if you factor in spaceship parts, would be enormous and that somewhat leaves us at the mercy of the RNG. Not that it would not be doable, but it would be more tedious and require more planning.

lurker's comment: As to choice of civ, I'd go with Germany for this one. I say that less because of UUs and more because of traits and starting techs. BW + WC to start. Unless someone attacks really, really early, you shouldn't have to defend with warriors.

As to expansionist vs. militaristic: Popping huts is fun, but I'm not sure that's a viable tech strategy for this game. Militaristic means more promotions throughout the game, including all of that time before Military Tradition.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

I like the raging barbarians idea. That kind of inclines me towards Emperor though, and I think the extra settler helpful for the AI producing more units for the AIs. Anyone want to/know how to create a custom level between Emperor and Demi-God where we basically have all the Emperor settings, but the AIs have an extra settler just like Demi-God?

I might have meant normal, warm, 5 billion 60% pangea. I meant normal, warm... NOT wet, temperate. I've edited this. The more I think about it, the more I think Germany the better choice. Oh... and no lurkers here... anyone can join in once we start.

Select tribes without Ceremnoial Burial for early SGL fishing?

Please re-read bottom of first post.

If you want the best chance for an early SGL, try to get it with Masonry or The Wheel. These are less likely to be hutted by an AI.

I think you can edit the .biq to give the AI an extra settler. I'll bet someone here can do it, I can if it can wait a little while (playing Rod02 takes much time).

You also play Sid level, which entails fighting anywhere from dozens to hundreds of battles a turn. I'm a rookie at this big map AW thing. I also type slowly;)

You also play Sid level, which entails fighting anywhere from dozens to hundreds of battles a turn. I'm a rookie at this big map AW thing. I also type slowly;)

Yeah if it was one of Greebly's games, I would be taking a few days for a set. My last one I killed well over 600 units. That is a lot of typing in the log. :lol:

Anyone want to/know how to create a custom level between Emperor and Demi-God where we basically have all the Emperor settings, but the AIs have an extra settler just like Demi-God?.

Yep, it's quite simple; open the editor, then check 'Custom Rules'. Once done, select 'Difficulty Level'. Select 'Emperor', then under 'AI Starting Bonuses' change 'number of starting units (type 1)' from '0' to '1'. Save as whatever you like. Make sure 'Custom Map' is left unchecked, so when you select the game it generates a random map just like any other game.

SGLs are scarce anyway..

In a game where I am the tech leader for most of the game (and I expect we would be at 'Emperor'), I average 3-4 per game with a Scientific tribe. So I guess it depends how you define 'scarce'.

My luck is usually bad :( So far, I've had a grand total of two of them and it in the same game. One was for researching Education (I kept that oen for TOE), the other was for something like Satellites or Superconductor so I ended up rushing a SS part with it.

And we're talking about easy games (DG, but with opponents constantly beating each other to a pulp) where if I don't research a tech, it doesn't get researched.

I think we'll actually want least aggressiveness, so the AIs come as less inclined to beat up on each other... so we have more units to kill. We probably also want to minimize military alliances.

Okay, I can make a .biq for this game now, so I need to know what all to modify. Within the realm of my conquest editor skills, that is. (minimal)

Make it an Emperor level game with an extra settler for the AIs. Warm, temperate, 5 billion, pangea, 60% as Germany with a good start for us, with raging barbies... large or huge map. Actually, it would be better to forget the extra settler and make it Emperor and have the AIs have a production rate of 70% (or 60% if you feel daring), if you can do that. Don't tone down Demi-God though, because that'll make the barbies tougher to kill... just ramp up Emperor.

Top Bottom