1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

leader help?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Chingis, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Chingis

Chingis Chieftain

hi i am new to the forums and i was wondering what leader to choose for my next game? i am trying to progress on difficulty levels and am going to try noble (i know i suck:blush:) so can i have some help?

i am trying to hold off a war for as long as possible and UU's are much more important to me than traits

p.s. i like Joao II and Augustus caesar

2. s.bernbaum

s.bernbaum Mostly lurking

How you develop diplomacy is more much more important than which leader you use. Try to have the same religion as your neighbors, give in to them if they make demands or requests, open borders with them, trade resources with them. Keep in mind that you can't have good relationships with everyone because some of them will have bad relations with each other and give you negative diplo points for dealing with their enemies. So, pick two or three (depending on the number of AIs in your game) to keep good relations with, preferably your nearest neighbors. Also, don't forget to have a decent military, so you don't look like an easy target. I always play with the civilization and leader randomly selected and like to avoid early wars. On Noble, this method has worked well for me using anyone.

OTOH, if one of your nearest neighbors is not looking peaceful towards you wipe him out early and then treat the others as above. If I do this, I like to have an army positioned to catch the invaders and let the nasty neighbor declare war. That way I don't get negative diplo points from his pals for declaring war on him and I get the movement advantage inside my territory.

3. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

You either need good diplomacy, or you need good espionage :D .

Just played a game where diplomatic-approaches were impossible, because of 2 continents, one having totally different religions to my continent, and having -4 for trading with worst enemies due to that.

As leaders I'd suggest you take IMP leaders because those expand extremely well, Joao and Agustus are both very strong, but Cathy, Suleiman and Cyrus are also. Cyrus has a very good UU for Monarch and above because of the AI starting with Archers then, Suleiman is good if you know how to generate great people and bulb your way to victory, and Cathy is nice for grabbing land and her UU is also very good, a little late, but then very powerful.

4. PierreBonaparte

PierreBonaparte Chieftain

India
    Fast workers will always speed up your growth curve exponentially.
    If you disagree, check out sulla's Pitboss 2 game at realms beyond
    search civ 4 sulla
    click on his website
    click on multiplayer games
    click on pit boss 2

5. Chingis

Chingis Chieftain

Thank you all but i think i will just do what i normally do......

Play whoever i feel....

Likely sitting bull for some reason:spear:

6. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

Not understanding this at all, but if you want to play someone that's against your likings (you said you like Joao and AC) , if you admit to suck at the game, and if you say that you play n00bish, plz just take 10 minutes and try out XBow-rush with your pre-chosen Sitting Bull. There are enough threads from this week describing what you have to do and how, even an XBow Challenge.

You'll improve your game by 100% if you do invest these 10-20 minutes.

Sera

7. Chingis

Chingis Chieftain

Wait. What an Xbow?:confused:

I am probobly a noob for saying that:blush:

8. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

9. Chingis

Chingis Chieftain

Quick reply. Thanks!

10. plasmacannon

plasmacannon Emperor

To me, this means England.
    Victoria is [IMP/FIN], so fast build settlers and the gold to tech.
    Their UB generates more gold as well.
    Put off war until riflemen and conquer the map with Redcoats.

Spain is another, because Conquistadors are so good.
    Isabella is SPI. So, she can switch religions to whoever declares war on her and that foe usually stops soon, because of the "brothers and sisters of the faith" modifier.

Ragnar of the Vikings is another. He's [AGG/FIN] so, you usually beat foes of the same unit type and your Unique Unit is a Maceman with +10% city attack.

It all depends on when your wars usually happen, for what Unit to improve.

11. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

Haha, funny. I was playing / thinking like him once, and my first Choice on Deity was Viccy.

12. Chingis

Chingis Chieftain

actually, i prefer not to rush people until they have at least 6+ cities (it makes it more fun). all though I could just build a super army and just devastate the whole world (that is my style)

13. Lordleoz

Lordleoz Prince

Hi,
    Here are some trait combos that I recommend to play:
    See details at: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=469191
    -financial, charismatic
    -financial, expansive
    -financial, creative
    -financial, industrious (generally considered the strongest combo)
    -financial, organized
    -financial, aggressive (a quite interesting combo)
    -financial, imperialistic
    -philosophical, spiritual (among the best combos of SE)
    -philosophical, creative
    -philosophical, charismatic
    -philosophical, organized
    -expansive, imperialistic (rexxing)
    -aggressive, charismatic (3 strong war mongering combos)
    -organized, charismatic
    -charismatic, imperialistic

14. Timhotep

Timhotep Chieftain

a) some guy name Julius Caesar wrote some books about how great Julius Caesar was.

b) some guys named Cicero, etc. wrote books about how [blank] Julius Caesar was. luckily for historians, and Caesar's fame, a lot of those have survived to this day.

c) some guy named Shakespeare wrote a play about how stabbed Julius Caesar was

:king:

15. Lordleoz

Lordleoz Prince

Maybe Augustus Caesar was more diligent than Julius, but personally, I think Julius's influence upon the Roman Empire is deeper.