[LP] Leader Pass Pack 3: Rulers of China (Jan. 2023) - Patch Notes Discussion

Laurana Kanan

Don’t underestimate who I am.

Establish new dynasties with the Rulers of China Pack*. This is the third of six packs included in the Civilization VI: Leader Pass**.

Version 1.0.12.31 Size = 1.18 GB
Hotfix
on 1/24. No change to version number. Size = 1.34 MB

───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────

Yongle (China)

When Zhu Di, prince of Yan, ascended to the throne, he took the reign name Yongle. As emperor, he didn't overindulge in luxuries, but sought and received tributes from dozens of other countries.

AGENDA: YINDING

Likes Civilizations with positive income per turn, dislikes civilizations with negative income per turn.

NEW ABILITY: LIJIA
  • All Cities receive projects where they can convert 50% of their Production into Food, Faith, or 100% if it is Gold.
  • Cities with 10 or more Population receive +2 Gold, +1 Science, and +1 Culture per turn for each Population in the city (requires Rise and Fall or Gathering Storm DLC pack).

───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────

Wu Zetian (China)

The only woman ever to sit on China's throne, Wu Zetian shifted the focus of power away from powerful families in favor of a more centralized bureaucracy and, by opening administrative examinations to all, moved Chinese politics towards a more meritocratic system. As the empress regnant, she relied on her secret police to eliminate any perceived rivals, and she's no more tolerant of competition in-game.

AGENDA: COURT INTRIGUE

Likes civilizations who pose no threat. Dislikes civilizations with strong militaries or ones with nearby cities.

NEW ABILITY: MANUAL OF ENTRAPMENT
  • All offensive Spies operate at 1 level higher.
  • Whenever an offensive spy mission is successful, you also gain 25% of the Culture and Science that the targeted city earned that turn.
  • Receive a free spy after discovering Defensive Tactics.

Qin Shi Huang the Unifier (China)

While he didn't personally lead troops, Qin Shi Huang is remembered as a warlord who unified China, even going so far as to standardize weights and measures, make Chinese writing uniform, and issue a new Imperial currency. He's also remembered for the creation of what we now know as the Terracotta Army, which was constructed to protect him in the afterlife.

AGENDA: SIHAI

Wants all the Barbarians following his side. Does not like civilizations that destroy Barbarian Outposts.

NEW ABILITY: THIRTY- SIX STRATAGEMS
  • Melee units receive the Converts Barbarian Action. This action transforms Barbarian units into your units.

*Base game and Leader Pass required to access Rulers of China content. **Base game required to access all Civilization VI: Leader Pass content and additional DLC packs required to access certain leaders and content included in the Leader Pass. Leader Pass is only available on Steam, Epic, Mac App Store, and iOS, and is already included as part of the Civilization VI Anthology Edition. See https://civilization.com/news/entries/new-leaders-coming-to-civilization-vi/ for more info.

JANUARY 19, 2023 UPDATE NOTES

There weren't any patch notes included with this update, however a couple of issues seemed to have been fixed based on reports.
  • Code from Infixo's Real Fixes: Luxuries mod included in KublaiKhan_Vietnam_Monopolies_MODE.xml file, in addition to some additional value changes. Should correct an issue where the AI is not properly improving luxuries in the Monopolies Game Mode. Link #1 & Link #2
  • Again, it appears that code from Infixo was added to address an issue where Tokugawa's penalty & Portugal's bonus on international trade route yields was not being properly calculated. Link
  • Other minor text corrections.

Last edited:
Can't say I'm excited by any of these abilities. I'll probably play a Wu game at some point because a super early spy with an offensive buff would be a nice way to grab some tech boosts in the midgame but I'll probably wait until the next pack to actually pick up the game again. Really disappointing after the Commanders pack, which was pretty good, all things considered.

Last edited:
Can't say I'm excited by of these abilities. I'll probably play a Wu game at some point because a super early spy with an offensive buff would be a nice way to grab some tech boosts in the midgame but I'll probably wait until the next pack to actually pick up the game again. Really disappointing after the Commanders pack, which was pretty good, all things considered.
I kind of like them all, actually, I think more than the others in this round of leaders except tokugawa

I like Yongle and Wu, although I suspect my free spy will inexplicably die too early like always happens when I play Black Queen Cathy. UniQin is interesting, but I suspect I will show some restraint in using it.

"For a city with more than 10 ports, each population in the city can get +2 gold coins, +1 technology value and +1 culture value each round (requires the "Rise and Fall" or "The Gathering of Winds" expansion pack)."

I really wanna know where this translation came from.

downloading right now! will post when i get to test if converted warriors get their own conversions, unless someone ninjas me

Just to say: despite having nothing to discuss about, the previous thread lasted 11 pages. Even when we have nothing to say, we still say it :lol:

Nothing really "awesome" in the abilities, but nothing bad neither. Just like China, they're robust abilities without nothing extravagant. Problem is that Qin (Mandate of Heaven)'s ability was so interesting, using mechanics in new ways, that all the others leaders kind of fall short.

Question: if you build the Royal Society with Yongle in your Government Plaza, can you speed up his three specific projects? If yes, is it done on the City Center?

downloading right now! will post when i get to test if converted warriors get their own conversions, unless someone ninjas me
ok havent yet gotten a barbarian warrior to spawn, the first outpost i found was near horses. and uh... i completely forgot barbarian horsemen are different entirely from horsemen. same with barbarian horse archers vs. saka horse archers. apparently they cant even upgrade according to the wiki? weird

That's nice. Wu also got makeup that makes her look closer to Civ5 version. Mostly interested for any datamining of next pack stuff they might have accidently left in

Question: if you build the Royal Society with Yongle in your Government Plaza, can you speed up his three specific projects? If yes, is it done on the City Center?
I would image in the answer is yes to both questions.

Top Bottom