[LP] Leader Pass Pack 3: Rulers of China Leaked Abilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

A first look video for Yongle was posted on bilibili and deleted quickly. The link above manages to record Yongle's leader ability (but in Chinese). Below is my rough translation.
Ability: Lijia
Can run three different projects to convert production to gold (*1 production invested), food(*0.5 production invested), and faith(*0.5 production invested) respectively. Gain additional science(+1), culture(+1), and gold(+2) per population for cities above 10 pop.

Hmm, interesting, use the city project to grow big cities quickly and then profit from the increased per pop? Sort of Khmer-esque?

The gold/faith projects seem pretty meh. Much better return than the district projects but no GPP and iirc gold cost is like 4x production, so not sure why you'd want to do.

It's not a super interesting ability to me, but it's definitely a little more unique comparatively which is cool.

Someone made a post on Reddit of the other abilities, here is the full post

“Rulers of China Abilities leaked

civ twitter accidentally leaked the first look video(it's now deleted) and a chinese streamer downloaded it and posted it on bilibili(it's now deleted too). Now Firaxis has granted streamers in china the permission to show the leader abilities so i think its ok to share it with you guys.

Yongle

Lijia: a project that can convert 50% of a cities production into faith or food or 100% production into gold. Each citizen in cities with 10 or more population provide 1 science, 1 culture and 2 gold.

Wu Zetian

Manual of Entrapment: Spies operate one level higher and gains extra science and culture for every successful offensive mission. Recieves a free spy after researching defensive tactics.

UniQin

36 stratagies: Grant all melee units the convert babarian action. (expend a melee unit and convert all babarian units within one tile)”

So, Yongle gets an additional means of acquiring Faith (for a pantheon or buy units), Gold (for buildings/units/whatever), and Food which grows his cities to the point where he starts getting free Science, Culture, and yet more Gold.

Seems like the strategy here might be to have minimal districts; just enough to trigger Inspirations and Eurekas. Chop projects. Optimize your improvements for Food, Housing, and Production. Build the tallest possible cities for the Science, Culture, and Gold. Interesting.

Edit: So Qin expends a whole melee unit to gain barbarian units. Ruthless. Don't bother making veterans.

Last edited:
UniQin

36 stratagies: Grant all melee units the convert babarian action. (expend a melee unit and convert all babarian units within one tile)”

This could be crazy powerful in the early game. Let a barb scout get back to his camp. The camp spawns a bunch of units and you get a huge early army to go conquer your neighbor.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Lijia means "The House of Li"?
no, its 里甲, not 李家. no idea what it means tho. heres a wikipedia article in chinese on what it means: https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/里甲
looks like the city projects reuse the peacock, cow, and fish custom religion icons for faith, food, and gold respectively... looks kinda weird imo but not egregious
i really like yongle's abilities, theyre very cool, love making super high population cities anyways
very glad wu's spying abilities arent only from counterspying, they look really cool too. wonder how much science and gold you get, tho. hopefully enough
very very interesting strategy with uniqin's spending a melee unit to get all adjacent barbs... seems like a good alternate way to secure an early scout. also you kinda want the barb scout to make its way back now, dont you? park the starting warrior adjacent to a camp, fortify until a few new barbs spawn and surround you, and use up the conversion just before you die. if you can get the ability back on melee units you convert that snowballs fast. im not gonna worry about getting the mercenaries inspiration for once lol

Yongle's is growing on me. Alt Qin seems pretty wild but I'd be hard pressed to give up his builder abilities. Wu is about what expected but defensive tactics is very early for spies.

Still, I feel like all of these abilities are pretty interesting at least, and at the same rate things have been going, are making me look increasingly forward to what they'll come up with for the future packs.

Fraxis try not to leak things challenge. Difficulty: Impossible
im not complaining one bit that the abilities got leaked, it was actually kinda sad thinking theyd stay unknown up til release. now i get to ponder the possibilities together with yall before the leaders drop tomorrow ^_^

no, its 里甲, not 李家. no idea what it means tho. heres a wikipedia article in chinese on what it means: https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/里甲
ok so im making my way thru the article. its a system of administrative divisions/census something-or-other established near the beginning of the ming dynasty, later used as a system that has something to do with military conscription. i think.
edit: having read even more, i think the gist is its a system of administrational divisions set up at the beginning of the ming dynasty immediately following the chaos of war (from the dynastic shift im assuming) in order to facilitate the conscription of soldiers to serve in the new official ming military. something or other to do with the "yellow registers", taxation, census stuff. from what ive heard of the yongle emperor's historical impact on these forums, that seems like it makes a lot of sense that the lijia system would be very tied up in what he did

edit2: also nothing to do with the rest of this post but i dont wanna spam post in this thread, but i thought of something else for uni qin - doesnt this make him great at colonizing a new continent if he can find a few barb camps, like say the ones that get reliably left behind by the AI in the tundra since they don't bother fighting for that land? think about it, all you need is 2-3 melee units to go over and convert some barbs, and suzerain a nearby city state to upgrade em all and boom, instantly a full army overseas for the price of a handful of warriors. plus the narrative of it all, steamrolling the major civs on the other side of the world by assimilating the barbarians that they neglected off on the fringes of the poles and arming them at some poor city state they couldnt be bothered to vie for the attention of. as a peaceful builder kinda player this guy actually makes me wanna conquer the whole world for once

Last edited:
finally some really interesting ideas for yongle and uniqin... very nice...

although the food project leaves me a little nonplussed... seems to me you'll be able to jack population with it but then won't have the infrastructure to support them anyways so it'll grow back down unless you already had a food surplus ?

ive thought of more strategy for UniQin. you actually wanna avoid converting the spearman from the first barb camp you find, if converted warriors also get a charge. cos the first thing a barb camp spawns? two warriors. you capture those, keep one there to keep slurping up more units and send the other off to do likewise elsewhere. and hoo boy if one of those camps you find is near horses you really wanna milk that one, thats free horsemen and horse archers. it might actually be advantageous to do anything up to and including war to keep city states from successfully defeating a horse-unit-spawning barbarian camp, right? gosh this is such an elegantly powerful ability i love it. absolute top tier leader ability imo 10/10
also, thinking of it, all these leaders are gonna have their abilities absolutely squandered by the AI, yeah? no way it balances priorities on the lijia projects well, no way it suddenly gets way better at spy missions, no way it uses up its melee units properly. i guess i could see the best case for AI Wu Zetian not actually being that bad but still, cant wait to witness AI UniQin spend a musketman to convert a barbarian builder instead of just walking on it
also also do we think Wu Zetian's ability procs on stuff like gather sources and listening post?? positively wacky if true

finally some really interesting ideas for yongle and uniqin... very nice...

although the food project leaves me a little nonplussed... seems to me you'll be able to jack population with it but then won't have the infrastructure to support them anyways so it'll grow back down unless you already had a food surplus ?
I don't think you want to do the Food project to go straight to 10 pop. Intermix some Faith/Gold projects to get a pantheon and buy builders to build farms and chop. Also, build those Preserves and don't forget to earn the Inspirations and Eurekas to take advantage of China's civ ability.

Yongle is going to take a balancing act.

looks like the city projects reuse the peacock, cow, and fish custom religion icons for faith, food, and gold respectively... looks kinda weird imo but not egregious
i really like yongle's abilities, theyre very cool, love making super high population cities anyways
very glad wu's spying abilities arent only from counterspying, they look really cool too. wonder how much science and gold you get, tho. hopefully enough
very very interesting strategy with uniqin's spending a melee unit to get all adjacent barbs... seems like a good alternate way to secure an early scout. also you kinda want the barb scout to make its way back now, dont you? park the starting warrior adjacent to a camp, fortify until a few new barbs spawn and surround you, and use up the conversion just before you die. if you can get the ability back on melee units you convert that snowballs fast. im not gonna worry about getting the mercenaries inspiration for once lol
Weirdly enough the only European-language version of this Wikipedia article is in Czech, the intro to which can be translated by DeepL thus:

The li jia (Chinese pinyin lǐjiǎ, characters 里甲) was a system of local government introduced in Ming China in the 1470s. The population was divided into jia, groups of ten households, with ten jia and ten wealthier families forming the li. The li paid the required goods and services to the state. During the 15th century, most services and levies were converted to payments in silver, levied as a surcharge on the land tax.

Yongle is the one I'm interested in here. I'm curious about the possibility to rush a pantheon, and getting some more benefits from tall cities is something I've been wanting since day 1. :)

This could be crazy powerful in the early game. Let a barb scout get back to his camp. The camp spawns a bunch of units and you get a huge early army to go conquer your neighbor.
I agree, I wonder if only units hard build by Qin gets the ability, or if converted barbarian units will also be able to convert new barbarian units? Because in the latter case, it seems quite easy to get this rolling pretty fast.

But at least this ability, along with Yongle's, offers some interesting aspects towards gameplay.

Give what happened with the first leader pack and the abilities changing at the last minute, I really hope these are the abilities the leaders will get. Not sure how potent they will be, but they are all quite interesting.

I’m keen on Wu Zetians ability, which is probably the most standard of the three but a spy at defensive tactics is early enough to wreck some havoc and curious to the yields associated with successful missions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom