I wouldn't put much stock in any of these references or his dialogue having anything to do with his gameplay. For example, Ramses II's quote and his dialogue had people predicting some ability based on combat or military units.
I'd be curious how leaders' introductions actually relates to their abilities. I'd image its fairly low.
In before someone else says "He's going to have combat strength bonuses because he's holding a sabre." :mischief:

In before someone else says "He's going to have combat strength bonuses because he's holding a sabre." :mischief:
“Wonders deal damage to all enemy units within 5 tiles every turn you invest Production into them, and grant all friendly units within 5 tiles a Promotion when completed.”

Lol

interesting that theres a circle around the civ icon for germany in the lil billowing flag at the beginning of the vid. i think thats the first time theyve altered an icon for the flag, right?

Someone mentioned he’s speaking standard German; is that true? And isn’t he supposed to be speaking a Bavarian/southern dialect?

Someone mentioned he’s speaking standard German; is that true? And isn’t he supposed to be speaking a Bavarian/southern dialect?
I saw someone say he's speaking a form of High German, but not necessarily a Bavarian dialect.

The state flag colours of Bavaria are blue and white. The defined shade of Blue in the Bavarian flag is ridiculously close to the pre-defined colour "XP Blue" in the XML files. I don't know if Firaxis are reading this, but it would look terrific to use that combo for Ludwig, and provide a nice contrast to the more dour, militaristic Fred. Mockup below, using quick map and the firetuner to spam some cities.

german test.jpg

Last edited:
Really looking forward to playing him. Germany is already my favourite civ to play, but I always play Frederick as more builder / peaceful, so his special leader ability rarely comes into use. Plus it is nice to have an actual (as in, not speculative or anachronistic) gay leader representation.

The Swan King

I am Ludwig of Bavaria, King of these lands and the embodiment of the Swan-Knight of legend.
I wish to remain an eternal enigma to myself and to others.

I wish he was serving a little more "flamboyant dreamer" and less wooden, masc4masc, jock puppet.

Really curious what his ability will be. Our track record is pretty poor when it comes to predictions, but I agree that a Great Musician point bonus is likely.

I also think that he could very likely have the ability to work mountain tiles for culture / receive some kind of unique cultural adjacency from mountains, or extra appeal / culture, faith from mountains and lakes.

A bit OT but a very nice playable experience focusing on Ludwig is Gabriel Knight 2:

The filmed actors feel a bit awkward at first but then you really get sucked into the game. I would give it 5/5.

Really curious what his ability will be. Our track record is pretty poor when it comes to predictions, but I agree that a Great Musician point bonus is likely.

I also think that he could very likely have the ability to work mountain tiles for culture / receive some kind of unique cultural adjacency from mountains, or extra appeal / culture, faith from mountains and lakes.
I still think rushing wonders with gold is the ideal ability, and I'm still hoping that's the case. But unfortunately, reality isn't always ideal.
Hoping there would be an easy way to mod that in though.

I still think rushing wonders with gold is the ideal ability, and I'm still hoping that's the case. But unfortunately, reality isn't always ideal.
Hoping there would be an easy way to mod that in though.

Gold because of the commercial district/hansa bonus? Or, is there a historical reasoning I'm not aware of?

Gold because of the commercial district/hansa bonus? Or, is there a historical reasoning I'm not aware of?
I mean he used up basically all of his personal funds to build his castles. But the Hansa getting commercial hub adjacency bonuses fits just as well. :)

oh dear... is this the level Fraxis has fallen down into? should I expect Civ 5 level of cringe for Sejong?

For me that level of cringe was already present with Wilhelmina, so no, nothing new here. But, you seem to have strong desires for Korea and Sejong so yeah, maybe it's easier to disappoint so expecting it might not be such a bad idea.

Isn't this a trait he has in common with every other European autocrat?
He is infamous for it, and the result is Nauschwanstein. If I were to guess, I'd say he took it a lot further than anyone else.

Some say it was madness. Others, to create a legacy for himself once Bavaria was annexed by Bismarck. I've also heard the theory that he kept the craftspeople of Bavaria fed through a depression with his constant work projects. A bit of proto-Keynesian economics.

He is infamous for it, and the result is Nauschwanstein. If I were to guess, I'd say he took it a lot further than anyone else.

Some say it was madness. Others, to create a legacy for himself once Bavaria was annexed by Bismarck. I've also heard the theory that he kept the craftspeople of Bavaria fed through a depression with his constant work projects. A bit of proto-Keynesian economics.
To add to that he was much more interested in personally observing every detail of his projects, than actually running Bavaria, and left running the state to other people.

To add to that he was much more interested in personally observing every detail of his projects, than actually running Bavaria, and left running the state to other people.

Maybe, if this is the inspiration, I would prefer zero gold adjacency bonus to commercial zones, replaced with culture -- commercial districts produce culture adjacency bonuses rather than gold. This way, you would have a *~vibe~* of a bankrupt state.

Spending gold on wonders seems tricky to me. They would have to be incredibly expensive, so this ability would probably not be usable until the mid/late game when you've had sufficient time to accumulate an adequate gold reserve.

Top Bottom