Ramesses needs to lay off the cigarettes. :shifty: His delivery is also pretty stiff, even compared to Cleopatra sometimes stumbling over her words (which kind of feels okay for Cleopatra--Egyptian would have been, what, her fifth language?). He's also suffering from a bad case of Gilgamesh-Caesar hands, and his model just overall looks...not great.

ETA: It doesn't help that his tunic looks very bland and more like cotton than linen (though I can appreciate that Egyptian-quality linen would not be helpful in keeping the game's E10+ rating...). The bigger problem is that the belt and jewelry looks like plastic or clay, though.

This leader doesn't look anywhere near the quality of most of the preceding ones in the Leader Pass, which is a shame because I was looking forward to it. Even the cut-out above looks like it was rushed (the black line surrounding the model was edited out in previous models. Check Sundiata Keita)

It fits better with the quality of some of the leaders in the NFP pass. Basic, mostly uninspired geometries, patterns, and colours.

Someone mentioned in the Leader Pass thread that Cleopatra looks like a sack of potatoes, but that description is much more fitting for Ramses.
1676146964781.png

This entire area isn't great. The jewellery looks like it is made of Legos...
1676146124233.png

The sound doesn't sync well with the model, and he's mostly expressionless.

If I had seen something like this in the steam workshop I would consider it to be a very high quality model. But this isn't the quality usually seen from Firaxis.

But hey, at least it isn't Kublai Khan...

But hey, at least it isn't Kublai Khan...
It will be a dark day when we're forced to say, "This is even worse than Kublai Khan."

His mouth and teeth are really really weird... I really don't like it !
Same. It reminds me of Hojo. Everything about the model is great except when you see his mouth open and they smile. :shifty:
It will be a dark day when we're forced to say, "This is even worse than Kublai Khan."
Am I the only one who really doesn't understand what's wrong with Kublai?

Am I the only one who really doesn't understand what's wrong with Kublai?
The textures are blurry, suggesting they're probably too low-resolution for the model. The materials seem to be set up wrong as the skin looks unusually waxy and the lips in particular are unnaturally shiny. And the outfit, as with most of the NFP models, is very low-detail.

It sounds like the same voice actor as they used for Harald and Gilgamesh ?

light purple on medium purple, GOD i hope this provisional jersey stays
It's a twenty second edit if it changes on release and you want that particular combination. All the definition XML files are in a nice neat little file structure.
EDIT
I'm surprised they're not using the couple of grey shades they have defined in the colours list. Dark blue with light grey looks really clean, and dark grey with any of the lighter colours stands out quite well. (The defined colours include black, White_DK, White_MD, White_MD2 and White. MD2 is like silver, MD is more like slate)

Last edited:
To mee the biggest issue is the make-up, it's deep in the uncanny valley. He either needs to wear more or less. This is not a happy medium.
This is true. Ancient Egyptian art has trained us to expect them to wear very heavy kohl around their eyes. What Ramses has going on looks more like a 2000s emo punk.

Even the cut-out above looks like it was rushed (the black line surrounding the model was edited out in previous models. Check Sundiata Keita)
If you're talking about the last image, that's because FXS forgot to upload a closeup square portrait like they've done in the past so I did a quick PS mockup myself. I didn't take the time to touch up the remnants of the Ramses cut-out as I didn't think is was particularly noticeable. 🤷‍♀️

If you're talking about the last image, that's because FXS forgot to upload a closeup square portrait like they've done in the past so I did a quick PS mockup myself. I didn't take the time to touch up the remnants of the Ramses cut-out as I didn't think is was particularly noticeable. 🤷‍♀️
Ah!

It's not important. It would be meaningful if it were coming from Firaxis.

At least he isn't speaking Arabic?
Given that Cleopatra speaks Middle Egyptian, even though Coptic probably would have been both easier to find a speaker and more accurate to what she spoke, I would have been very surprised if Ramesses hadn't spoken Egyptian.

Given that Cleopatra speaks Middle Egyptian, even though Coptic probably would have been both easier to find a speaker and more accurate to what she spoke, I would have been very surprised if Ramesses hadn't spoken Egyptian.
I think he’s just making a tongue in cheek reference to Civ 5. And he’s right! Thank goodness we’re past Ramses speaking Arabic.

Top Bottom