The actual "eye of horus" icon currently used for Egypt is pretty low res. Hope it gets a bit of a tweak when the pack comes out.
No it’s not. Are you judging it by the screenshots above? Those are compressed.

It looks just as smooth as any other icon in the game. You can check the icon atlas yourself if you have the SDK.

I was curious too, so I just modified Cleo's colours temprarily to see how they'd look.
View attachment 653665
A = AquaDK / YellowMD
B = PurpleDK / PurpleLT
C = PurpleDK / MagentaLT
D = AquaDK / OrangeLT
The Magenta one seems to stand out a bit more. I ususally use AquaDK background with Tan foreground for Egypt.

Now I have to go revert my changes : )
I've for the longest time been using YellowLT/AquaDK as the primary jersey color for Egypt, and like it. For Ramses I plan on making it YellowLT and some sort of purple or magenta color.

I feel like they tried too hard to avoid the 'pop-culture pharoh' trope here. Which is an odd choice considering Ramses is the pop culture pharoh AFAIK
He's literally wearing a $5 Halloween pharaoh costume and thinly applied guyliner so if they were trying to avoid "pop culture pharaoh" they failed hard. (I also have to disagree on another point: Tutankhamun is the pop culture pharaoh. :p )

I've for the longest time been using YellowLT/AquaDK as the primary jersey color for Egypt, and like it. For Ramses I plan on making it YellowLT and some sort of purple or magenta color.
The high contrast you get with those colours is really striking. I use pure black and white for Shaka, and it really works well. Also Basil's dark purple and white is really easy to pick out. I try to choose colours that are good for the icons, and less for the little mini-map.

I'd still love it if there was a clash warning that left it in the player's hands whether to proceed or not - e.g. "hey you have Canada medium red on white, and Japan dark red on white - they might be hard to tell apart. Continue or choose a different strip?"

I'm going for all custom stuff. I still need to tweak a couple of values though (PCleo 3 and Ramses 4):
Spoiler non-official colours :

sahara pack icons.jpg

Last edited:
He's literally wearing a $5 Halloween pharaoh costume and thinly applied guyliner so if they were trying to avoid "pop culture pharaoh" they failed hard. (I also have to disagree on another point: Tutankhamun is the pop culture pharaoh. :p )
You mean his sarcophagus? :p

Maybe pop culture was the wrong choice of words. But around my hometown, you as people to describe a pharoh's looks, you'll hear "buff shirtless guy dripping in gold." So that's what I meant by pop culture

You mean his sarcophagus? :p
Well, yes. Nobody thinks about the crippled inbred guy with a cleft palate. :p

Maybe pop culture was the wrong choice of words. But around my hometown, you as people to describe a pharoh's looks, you'll hear "buff shirtless guy dripping in gold." So that's what I meant by pop culture
True. No shirt and short kilt were the Old Kingdom look. On the other hand, Googling "men's Egyptian costume" literally got me to Ramesses costume:
Spoiler :

:p

Only good thing civ 6 Ramses is he speaks coptic and not Arabic.
I think it's badly pronounced Middle Egyptian, like Cleopatra. Coptic sounds very different.

I feel like I'm in the minority in that I have always loved the Civ 6 leader backgrounds. Especially the Egyptian ones look so gorgeous
I think the idea was good--the sort of stage-y feeling that spotlights the leader. The implementation, however, is bad, as the backdrop is usually too dark to see well in game. I think they should have leaned harder into the stage feeling. I'd like to see Civ7 find a balance between having an actual set and keeping the focus on the leaders--but bring back letting the leaders interact with their environment, like Bluetooth leaning on his ship and Washington fidgeting with his globe.

so anyways can someone who knows history more (or is more willing to google it) say if those are the pyramids of giza in the leader BG or if theyre different pyramids? very pretty regardless

so anyways can someone who knows history more (or is more willing to google it) say if those are the pyramids of giza in the leader BG or if theyre different pyramids? very pretty regardless
Pretty sure they aren't the Giza pyramids because there are only two of them, not three, and they aren't an a plateau but are level with the river.

Damn…I guess I was generous saying it was probably $19.99…

You’re not wrong, though.

🫠

Ramses genuinely looks hideous. By far the ugliest leader in Civ VI by a large margin. I was only able to see this abomination today...

- Circular objects have blatant sharp edges.
- Lighting is off. Everywhere on the body. Makes it look like a prototype.
- VA being the same as Gilgamesh is off putting, especially when the voice does NOT match the body whatsoever.
- The mouth moving when put alongside the audio. Yuck.
- Teeth look like dracula.
- The black line around his eyes are horrifyingly thin and make it look so off. Complete cultural mess up. I mean compare it to Cleopatra.
- Quality of jewelry looks like it comes straight from a cartoon. No detail, just flat colours.
- Looks really buff for no reason at all.
- Hands bigger than the face for whatever reason.
- He has a plain white tunic. I mean, they couldn't give it just a little design?
- Someone earlier mentioned uncanny valley, I have to agree. He looks like a wax model.
- His hat looks like it's made from paper and coloured with a blue marker.
- I'll skip the skin colour thing, but I will say with that abomination of makeup and that light of skin it makes him look hideous. Like some guy from Texas was cosplaying as Ramses.

Ptolemaic Cleopatra is much better, but this is so bad. Poor Ramses. He looked good in Civ V and they did this to him.

100%, though I'm not sold on Cleopatra's design. Her execution is much better, however.

Really glad he became the builder Pharoah that we wanted, and not militaristic like many of us feared.

Top Bottom