[LP] Leader Spotlight: Yongle

that is NOT the voice i expected outta that man. its not bad, but it definitely sounds older than he looks. tho to the voices credit he definitely sounds "jolly", as one might expect from mr. eternal happiness. i like the voice ^_^
lookin like the provisional jersey is either black or dark grey on mid-yellow, just like russia. i like it.
also something about incoming trade routes... are we getting a wilhelmina 2.0, agenda-wise? hope not, i dont want him upset at me 🥺

The voice is fine, but oof, the clipping. Maybe don't show that his beard clips through his clothes and into his chest in your preview where you literally give us nothing else to talk about. :shifty: Voice is fine. Not excited about him getting Russia's colors; I hope Prismatic gives him yellow and red to match his longpao.

The voice is fine, but oof, the clipping. Maybe don't show that his beard clips through his clothes and into his chest in your preview where you literally give us nothing else to talk about. :shifty: Voice is fine. Not excited about him getting Russia's colors; I hope Prismatic gives him yellow and red to match his longpao.
i agree red on yellow would be better. also oh, yeah, i did not notice that clipping the first time watching. that... doesnt look great
Hmm. The colors looked like Dark Green or Black on Jade Green to me.
the background is 100% medium yellow, the lightings just a bit weird. i think for some reason they darkened (or desaturated or something) the flag colors for the rulers of china even tho imho it just looks worse. maybe to ensure better readability for the text?

I'd like to remind people that the flags shown in the spotlight do not always match the actual flags used (see Tokugawa)

I'm still hoping he'll be scientific. If not looks like he might be turning China into a naval/exploration civ like Portugal.

Hmm. The colors looked like Dark Green or Black on Jade Green to me.
Yeah, I saw green.

heres a side-by-side of all the chinese leader flags so far. looking at them side by side i feel very confident that its:
yongle - black/dark grey on yellow
unifier qin - green on black/dark grey
wu zetain - orange on dark red (initially thought this was yellow on dark red)
Spoiler side-by-side :
1673897275986.png
1673897294193.png
1673897337259.png

Yeah, the clipping make this preview really trustworthy of the quality of the leader...

I also hope that his sentence is not too much related to his abilities. Although an additional naval civ is not that bad, I'd also prefer a scientific China.

Edit: I was really hoping that Yongle would have his magnificent beard like in this picture, but seeing how difficult it is (apparently) for them to model such a short beard, I don't want to imagine the disaster it would be with something closer to the picture...

I had such high hopes when Wu introduced herself as Wu Zhou. "Yongle" was his era name but not what he would have referred to himself as.

Oof, not liking the Wilhelmina-esque vibes from that intro.
"Those who refuse trade often think they can take what they want from us. They are sorely mistaken."
"B-but Wilhelmina/Yongle, you're on the other side of the map. It is literally physically impossible for me to send you a trade route!"
smacks with umbrella
"Oh, no, here comes Harald to complain about my landlocked empire's lack of ships..."

I had such high hopes when Wu introduced herself as Wu Zhou. "Yongle" was his era name but not what he would have referred to himself as.
Meh they had Sejong introduce himself as such in civ 5 and will probably do so here...
What did you expect.

Meh they had Sejong introduce himself as such in civ 5 and will probably do so here...
What did you expect.
Like I said, after Wu introduced herself as Wu Zhou instead of Wu Zetian I hoped he might introduce himself as Zhu Di. :dunno:

the background is 100% medium yellow, the lightings just a bit weird. i think for some reason they darkened (or desaturated or something) the flag colors for the rulers of china even tho imho it just looks worse. maybe to ensure better readability for the text?
I'm pretty sure that a shadow mask is applied over what would be a simple outline flag. It can be done using layers or alpha channels in most decent graphic software. It's a bit lower tech than something like a bump map, which also has height information. Here they're just going for shading. Here's an example using some an old warhammer banner from Dawn of War, based on the Union Jack:

Attachments

• flag example.jpg
    flag example.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 18
Top Bottom