[LP] Leader Spotlight: Sultan Saladin

Eagle Pursuit

Per Scribendum, Volo

Edit: The Saladin image from the wikipedia article, by the way
385px-Saladin13_sized.jpg

Last edited:
So we have Sultan Saladin, which one's which?

In other persona packs, they both have names, Catherine the Magnificent and Catherine the Black Queen

I just love this engraving!
I wonder what fabric his raincoat is made of? I imagine it in light blue transparent silk
Spoiler Image :
1668879823184.png

Yep, that works with a djellaba, not with an armor :) . Little problem of reusing all the animation.

I suppose "djellaba" saladin will also get a name, even it not announced (neither Black Catherine or Bullmoose Teddy were announced either, but Catherine the Magnificent and Rough Rider Teddy): according to its lua, Righteous Saladdin, maybe?

I suppose "djellaba" saladin will also get a name, even it not announced (neither Black Catherine or Bullmoose Teddy were announced either, but Catherine the Magnificent and Rough Rider Teddy): according to its lua, Righteous Saladdin, maybe?
Default Saladin is just Harun ar-Rashid ("the Righteous") intensifies...

So we have Sultan Saladin, which one's which?

In other persona packs, they both have names, Catherine the Magnificent and Catherine the Black Queen
I'm expecting old Saladin could be called Scholar Saladin since he would focus more on building worship buildings that give science and culture.

You know, if they release those trailers on the weekends, then it's actually kinda nice to soften the wait. Given we know that they don't release anything like First Looks on the weekend anyway (and friday's too, I think?)
Yeah, I saw a lot of people complaining in the YT comments, but this is a smart thing for them. They have constant, short teasers on an almost-daily basis. It keeps the hype consistent by keeping Civ and the LP on people’s minds, which generates interest and discussion and brings more eyes to the game. Take the different YT shorts of various parts of the reveal trailer every day leading up to the livestream, and now we have teasers for the three leaders over the weekend leading up to release

It may not be the First Looks, but we’re still getting info about the DLC, even if it’s just looks, voice, and the intro animations. But it’s still something to talk about! Which is the whole point

I like the model. Don't think they'll fix the clipping, doesn't really bother me. I typically don't notice these things until they are pointed out to me unless they're really jarring.

Dude almost splits in half
Sigh, now I can't unsee it...

We're three/four leaders in and still no Kublai-like model, so I call that a win so far.
---

Same question as in the Lincoln video: Do we think the quote has anything to do with the ability? How? It sounds too peaceful for a war oriented ability.

Different personas are namely distinct only by their LUA. So, the LUA of Sultan Saladin will probably be "Sultan", while the "name" of vanilla Saladin will be "Righteousness of the Faith Saladin", if they follow the same conventions than the two leaders with personas.

Different personas are namely distinct only by their LUA. So, the LUA of Sultan Saladin will probably be "Sultan", while the "name" of vanilla Saladin will be "Righteousness of the Faith Saladin", if they follow the same conventions than the two leaders with personas.
Not necessarily. Bull Moose Teddy's LUA is Antiquities and Parks. I think a LUA just called "Sultan" isn't enough either. Maybe "Sultan of Egypt and Syria"?

"Righteousness of the Faith Saladin" would be a mouthful too which is why I thought of "Scholar Saladin", since he's literally Harun Al Rashid currently.

I think a lot of People here mistake "Saladin" as being the the actual Name of the Person that we know as Saladin. "Saladin" (actually "Salah-addin Al-Ayyubi") is actually just an Epithet given to him and means "Righteousness of the Faith", and his actual Name is "Yusuf ibn Ayyub ibn Shadi". So calling him "Righteousness of the Faith Saladin" is just like calling him "Righteousness of the Faith Righteousness of the Faith". No, that doesn't work.

That said, I think the 2 Saladins will still have Saladin as their shared Name (even though it's an Epithet), and we might get something like:
- Sultan Saladin (bc I don't think Firaxis will change it to "Ayyub" or even "Salah-addin").
- Saladin The Chivalrous Knight (bc he was well respected by many westerners).

I think Sultan Saladin will be the Saladin we have now, who has Bonuses towards Faith Science and Culture (maybe a small buff?), which fits him as the Sultan of Arabia (Egypt and Syria). And Saladin The Chivalrous Knight will have the LUA:
- Besieging a City decreases the City's Defenses each Turn. Bonus Combat Strength when fighting Requenst and Protectorate Wars. Peace offered by Saladin removes all Grievances accrued by that Player against Saladin.

In combination with Mamluk, Chivalrous Knight Saladin will be able to conquer Cities much faster than any other Players: Besieging a City with some mamluk Units will automatically bring down the City Defenses turn by Turn, and since the mamluks automatically heal each turn, attacks by the City (CC, Encampment or other Units) aren't as severe as normally. And having Melee Unit at hand ensures the capture of the City. Reconquering own Cities, or of Protectorates is even much faster with the bonus CS. Which makes Chivalrous Knight Saladin not a Warlike Leader, but a Leader with a respectful Military that shouldn't be messed with or with his Protectorates.

Fun Fact, Saladin was apparently in good Terms with Tamar of Georgia (sending Envoys and getting Relics) ^^ . Another Civ6 Leader couple who didn't just live in the same Time period, but also knew each other and had some...ehm.. Negotiations. Didn't knew that before.

EDIT: Oups! just realized it's the wrong Thread to post about potential Leader Abilities, my bad. Mods, you can move it to the right Thread if you like.

Last edited:
That said, I think the 2 Saladins will still have Saladin as their shared Name (even though it's an Epithet), and we might get something like:
- Sultan Saladin (bc I don't think Firaxis will change it to "Ayyub" or even "Salah-addin").
- Saladin The Chivalrous Knight (bc he was well respected by many westerners).

I think Sultan Saladin will be the Saladin we have now, who has Bonuses towards Faith Science and Culture (maybe a small buff?), which fits him as the Sultan of Arabia (Egypt and Syria). And Saladin The Chivalrous Knight will have the LUA:
- Besieging a City decreases the City's Defenses each Turn. Bonus Combat Strength when fighting Requenst and Protectorate Wars. Peace offered by Saladin removes all Grievances accrued by that Player against Saladin.
My only question is why wouldn't they present this new Saladin in armor as Chivalrous Knight Saladin, if the old one would be Sultan Saladin?
Because it seems to me that Sultan Saladin is the new one being marketed. :confused:

Top Bottom