1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Leaderhead Graphics?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Creation & Customization' started by HardRocker, Jul 5, 2013.

1. HardRocker

HardRocker Student.

I often get bored with the leaderheads made originally for Civ 5. They are well-made, I mean no offense to Firaxis or 2K, but the shininess of a new toy wears off after a while.

And I know that the modding community is extremely hard-pressed to make anything close to developer-quality leaderheads. Which makes mods that add new leaders seem slightly tacky in comparison. Again, I mean no insult to modders, I am very impressed with your coding skill since I have none.

And I have always loved the idea from Realism Invictus (and possibly others) in Civ 4 modding to replace all of the leaderheads with paintings to add more flow to conversations with developer and community leaders alike.

So my question is: How hard would it be to replace all of the leaderheads in Civ 5 with paintings of the real leaders? Is it worth the work?

Thanks in advance for anyone who answers! :goodjob:

(I put the underline for all of the "tl;dr" folks)

2. Nutty

Nutty Deity

3. HardRocker

HardRocker Student.

Could you point me in the right direction? Lua files? XML files?

I might try this after Brave New World is released.

4. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

Compile all scene files in a mod (like askia_scene.xml), set VFS property to true, edit them to be only something like that:

Code:
    <LeaderScene FallbackImage="Askia.dds"></LeaderScene>

That will give you static 2D screen based on the actual 3D leader's head. (It has the same effect as setting the graphic details of leaders to low)

Then you'll just have to add your painting and edit the name of the DDS file (or name your painting like the DDS in the scene file, overriding the default screen), and remember to set the VFS property to true for that file.

5. HardRocker

HardRocker Student.

Wow, that is pretty simple, unless I misunderstood that.

Thank you very much!

If I can go a little off topic, how is your Historical Mod project coming along Gedemon? I am pretty excited for it. :)