1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Leaderhead subtitles

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Elenhil, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Elenhil

Elenhil Warlord

Sorry to sound just another whiner, but am I the only one disappointed to find that the subtitles do not actually correspond to what the leaders are saying? Judging by preview videos, they seem to grasp the general idea, nothing more.

Linguistically-oriented (and spoiled by Mel Gibson), I do hope for a prompt community effort to fix this sad issue.

2. Zhahz

Zhahz PC Gamer

This is remotely worth even mentioning? The forums aren't THAT slow right now...

3. Delgar

Delgar Warlord

Imho many a time it is not logical to directly translate from one language to another. Take German for example. When you want to tell someone to have a good time, you can say 'Mach Spass!' which directly translated turns out to be 'Make fun!'. What you really mean to say with 'Mach Spass' is actually 'Have fun!'

Do you see what I mean?

4. Elenhil

Elenhil Warlord

I'm an interpreter, by the way, so I do see your point. However, I was talking about discrepancies far beyond any form of non-direct translation.

5. sensual benny

sensual benny Commander

This is more just because of the logistic problem of recording every possible sentence they can say. Hopefully there´s enough variety in their phrases; I´d bet that what they say won´t even always correspond to the subtitle.

6. Delgar

Delgar Warlord

Ah, ok ;) I'm sure there is a way to mod this though!

7. sensual benny

sensual benny Commander

"Mod" the lines recorded for the game? I don´t really see a way to accomplish this, outside of dubious fanmade voice-acting.

8. Delgar

Delgar Warlord

I meant, not the spoken lines but the written lines. If that is possible at all. Just a suggestion.

9. Elenhil

Elenhil Warlord

I suppose it will be the easiest thing to mod, just an XML file to edit. The main effort is to reverse-translate the lines actually spoken, and it certainly needs community input (as none of us knows 18 languages). Unless the devs would help us out. Which I doubt - they obviously might have translated the lines correctly themselves, had they wanted to.

10. Robovski

Robovski Chieftain

I'm always peeved by inaccurate subtitles. I suppose it comes from my wife losing her hearing.

11. sensual benny

sensual benny Commander

I think it's probably not a good idea to switch the subtitles from "We demand that you stop trading with Dublin!" to "We are not pleased!" (which is certainly more along the lines of what they'll be saying). Will make the game a great deal harder to follow.

12. Elenhil

Elenhil Warlord

We can always make the actual transcript/translation go first and then insert the explanatory cue. Like "We are not pleased! We demand that you stop trading with Dublin!"

13. krunsh

krunsh Prince

Then I guess it's gonna be very odd for all of you interpreter out there. As far as I'm concerne... Won't notice.. Won't care.