LEADERHEAD: Witch-king of Angmar

Drift

It's a boy!
Witch-king of Angmar animated leaderhead

Download (0.7MB)

Witch-king of Angmar from Lord of the Rings. I did him for the Lord of the Mods but also for practice. I'm still new to Poser and best way to learn is through exercise.

He isn't era specific and he is really a bit too dark. Also, I don't like the spike on his head any more than you do, but as it's part of the model I used, there's nothing I can do about it. He doesn't have eyes, because a) the character doesn't have eyes b) I didn't succeed in my attempts of making them.

However, he turned out better than I initially thought. I don't automatically expect him to end up in LotM, but at least there is a witch-king if better candidates won't show up. :)

Preview:

Yes, there is a spike on his head. Embryodead too thought it was a sword.

And no, it isn't any brighter in game. Making him brighter naturally crossed my mind, but it would have meant discarding the clothes I had. They were made by me and had really crappy detail, which would have shown too clearly had they been brighter. This was a sort of in-between practice job and I didn't want to spend more time with it. Maybe I'll redo him when I get more experienced with Poser.

When I saw this thread I half feared it to be another version of Lenin/Kekkonen. :D
Obviously that's not the case. ;)

I think it's good you included the spike, otherwise it would be very hard to see if he is happy or mad. ;) Now you can see which way the spike points.
He is a bit dark, and the sky in the background seems to have a not so good palette, but maybe that's just in the preview? But this is minor details.

For a first animated LH it seems you have done a very good work. :thumbsup:

Originally posted by mrtn
sky in the background seems to have a not so good palette, but maybe that's just in the preview?

Poser messed the sky when rendering. Could be that the background shouldn't have been a jpeg. Live and learn.

I like it Drift! I think the dark background actually makes it better, by making it look more evil. I would keep it as is. Good job:goodjob:

Yes, it looks really evil in the right way IMHO. But red eyes would be quite cool too...

Originally posted by SoCalian
I like it Drift! I think the dark background actually makes it better, by making it look more evil. I would keep it as is. Good job:goodjob:

Thanks. :)

Background darkness and color scheme is as I intended it to be, but what I did not intend, was the blotchy sky.

Great:)! It's perfect in it's mysterious way! The less descriptive it is, the more uses it has.
:goodjob:

Well... A lot of people praise... but I can't say that I can unfourtently. Problem being, its so dark I can't see Anything about it. I crank my color correction up to 'uber bright' and it looks kind of like a shadow with some green behind it maybe.

Suggestions that come to mind.

Brighten it, for sure. Like i said, I can't even see the thing on normal settings.

Don't worry about the clothes. Perfect them, make them better. Its part of growing as a modder/artist. You start small and (realitivly) crappy and its a long road to a master peice man. Sides, in years/months/weeks people will look at your Heads and be like 'kick ass' and they'll find this and be like 'whoa, he didn't use to kick ass. That shows determination. Lets make him our King and shower him with gold'.

3. Hehe, back on to seriousness. I don't know if its possible, but maybe you use that spike by coloring it silver and adding the rest of the helmat from his armor in RotK. Right now, he looks like any other Black Rider with a thing stuck in his head.

Originally posted by Lich Lord
Well... A lot of people praise... but I can't say that I can unfourtently. Problem being, its so dark I can't see Anything about it. I crank my color correction up to 'uber bright' and it looks kind of like a shadow with some green behind it maybe.

Darkness was in part mistake, but also a choice. I wanted him to be dark as the hood model wasn't very suitable and I didn't want to dwell on the project as I was still learning the program. Combining the brighter model and better self-made clothes would've meant working with Paint Shop Pro for considerable time when my intention was to learn Poser. I have a load of modding projects going on and like I've said here couple of times, patience is not one of my virtues - I don't like projects that drag forever.

I didn't even plan the project. I knew LotM was needing a Witch-king and came upon an interesting looking hood model. Had an idea of animating the model and combining it with 2D-clothes for fun and practice. The next day, I had him done.

Brighten it, for sure. Like i said, I can't even see the thing on normal settings.

Don't worry about the clothes. Perfect them, make them better. Its part of growing as a modder/artist.

As this was a practice job, it's possible that I revisit it at some point. Not yet though. Currently I'm occupied with other stuff and honestly, going back to a in-between practice job isn't a priority.

As for the darkness, are you basing your opinion on seeing it in motion or to the previews? I can make him out ok without touching my monitor brightness - especially when he's in motion.

Top Bottom