Leaders and Traits

esvath

Apprentice of Erebus
In this post, I would like to share the latest modification I made in Xtended (still unreleased), about Traits and how they affect the Leaders.

Master of Mana has a unique trait system:
  1. There are four basic traits: Aggressive, Arcane, Creative and Imperialistic.
  2. Xtended added the fifth: Faithful.
  3. If a leader start with any of the basic traits, he/she could buy an advanced trait when he/she has accumulated enough empire culture.
  4. If a leader does not start with a basic traits, he/she has to buy the basic trait first.
  5. The subsequent trait will cost more imperial culture (5000, iirc).
  6. The "Emergent" trait provides discount on the cost of buying trait. Thus, an Emergent leader potentially could has more trait than those without.

These are the list of traits and their benefits:

Aggressive:
  • Free Aggressive promotion (+10% attack) to Archer, Disciple, Melee, Mounted and Recon units.
  • Do not spend resources to build Training Yards, Barracks and War Academies.
Dominant:
  • Free Command I promotion (+10% to capture living unit) to Disciple, Melee and Recon units.
General:
  • Free Cover I and Formation I promotion (+20% vs Archer and Mounted units, respectively) to Archer, Disciple, Melee, Mounted and Recon units.
Master Tactician:
  • +25% unit support.
Raiders:
  • Free Raider I promotion (+5% to heal rate, +100% gold when plundering) to Archer, Disciple, Melee, Mounted and Recon units.
Swashbuckler:
  • Free Amphibious promotion (no attack penalty for crossing rivers and sea) and Drill I (+1 first strike) to Beast, Melee and Recon units.
Strategist:
  • Free Tactic I promotion (+10% withdraw, +10% defense) to Archer, Beast, Disciple, Melee, Mounted and Recon units.
Assassin King:
  • Free Camouflage I promotion (+20% chance to apply Hidden promotion) and Celerity I promotion (+20% chance to apply Hasted promotion) to Recon units.
Battle Hardened:
  • Free Quick Learner promotion (+20% combat exp) to Archery, Disciple, Melee, Mounted and Recon units.
Berserker:
  • Free Berserkergang promotion (+25% attack, -10% defense, +5% chance to get Enraged) to Beast and Melee units.

Arcane
  • +10% mana, +20% spell research for the empire.
  • Free Potency promotion (+20% chance to gain free xp in this turn, +20 spell damage, -15% spell resist to target) to Arcane units.
  • Do not spend resources to build Mage Guild, Alchemy Lab, Warlock Laboratory and Sorcerer's Convent.
Channeler
  • +50% mana from nodes.
Magic Resistant
  • Free Magic Resistance promotion (+25% resist spells) to Archery, Beast, Disciple, Melee, Mounted and Recon units.
Summoner
  • -33% mana for summoning cost and upkeep.
Illusionist
  • Free Illusionist promotion (+50% withdraw chance, +2 first strike) to Arcane units.
  • Arcane units can cast Conjure Illusion spell (force teleport enemy units in one tile, Pacified them).
Grand Artificer
  • Free Aggressive promotion (+10% attack) and Mobility I (+1 move) to golems.
Loremaster
  • +2 spell research per city.
Herbalist
  • +1 herbs for tiles with +2 herbs or more.
  • Do not spend resources to build Infirmary, Apothecary and Greenhouse.

Creative
  • +2 culture per city.
  • Do not spend resources to build Monument, Carnival, Theater, Art Gallery, Opera House and Colloseum.
Ingenuity
  • +10% gold, science and culture for empire.
  • Do not spend resources to build Tavern, Inn and Farmer Market.
Engineer
  • Free Mobility I promotion (+1 move) for Siege units.
  • Do not spend resources to build Forge, Water Works, Water Well.
Philosophical
  • +50% Great People rate.
  • Do not spend resources to build Elder Council, Library, Garden.
Scientific
  • +3 science per city.
  • Do not spend resources to build University, Public School and Archieve.
  • +2 happiness from University.
Tolerant
  • Captured cities retain their culture and can build their unique units/buildings.
Agricultural
  • +1 food for tiles with 3 food or more.
Builder
  • Allow rush production using stones with -33% discount.
Financial
  • +1 commerce for tiles with 3 commerce or more.
  • Do not spend resources to build Money Changer, Market, Bank, Travelling Merchant.
Miner
  • +1 metal for tiles with 3 metal or more.

Imperialistic
  • Double production speed for Royal Guard unit.
  • +33% hammer for building that already built in the Capital.
  • Do not spend resources to build Granary, Aquaduct and Construction Yard.
Charismatic
  • +1 happy per city.
  • -25% xp required for each level.
Conqueror
  • Double chance to capture building during conquest.

• Free Homeland I promotion (+10% strength when inside territory) to Archer, Disciple, Melee units.
  • Do not spend resources to build Palisade, Walls, Archery Range and Duskwood Fletcher.
Expansive
  • +3 health per city.
  • Double production speed for Settler, Granary and Harbor.
Greedy
  • +2 gold per city.
  • Free Bounty Hunter promotion (+5 gold per victory) for Melee, Mounted and Recon units.
Industrious
  • +50% hammer for wonders.
  • +1 hammer for tiles with 3 hammer or more.
Organised
  • -50% civic upkeep.
  • Double production speed for Palace, Summer Palace and Winter Palace.
  • Do not spend resources for building Courthouse.
  • Can build Command Post.
Trader
  • +28% food and hammer from trade routes.
Iron Grip
  • -1 happy per city.
  • No anarchy.
  • -25% civic upkeep.

Faithful
  • Free great prophet from Mysticism.
  • +50% faith for empire.
Spiritual
  • Double speed for building Temples, Pagan Temple and Oracle.
  • Do not spend resource for building Temples.
Redeeming
  • Victory against evil unit might trigger Golden Age.
Devout
  • +3 happy from Tributes miracle (you need the appropriate state religion).
Enlightened
  • +1 happy per city.
  • No anarchy.
Sacred Warrior
  • Free Potency (+20% to gain free xp per turn, +20 spell damage, -15% target resist), Mobility I (+1 move) and Offense I (+10% attack) to Disciple units.
Zealous
  • Gain military unit whenever spreading religion.

Civilizations

Bannor

Leaders:

1. Sabathiel: Charismatic, Great Leader (gain two units when capturing city).
  2. Capria: Battle Hardened, Sacred Warrior
  3. Tethira: Devout, Zealous
  4. Angaad: Imperialistic, Dominant
  5. Decius: General, Conqueror, Emergent

Units:

1. Fanatic
  2. Demagog
  3. Heavy Swordman
  4. Squire
  5. Knight
  6. Demon Hunter
  7. Journeyman (Adept UU)
  8. Arcane Warrior (Mage UU)
  9. War Wizard (Archmage UU)
  10. Flagbearer (require Crusade)
  11. Cleric (require Crusade)

Elohim

Leaders:

1. Ethne: Tolerant, Creative, Enlightened
  2. Einion: Tolerant, Philosophical, Sacred Warrior
  3. Thessalonica: Tolerant, Expansive, Defender
  4. Meelais: Tolerant, Scientific, Emergent

Malakim

Leaders:

1. Varn: Adaptive, Philosophical, Faithful (permanent)
  2. Kane: Imperialist, Desert Economy (spread desert, gain more from trade routes)
  3. Saralet: Life Magic Mastery (extra Life Mana), Emergent
  4. Decius: General, Conqueror, Emergent

Mercurians

Leaders:

1. Basium: Imperialistic, Battle Hardened, Master Tactician

Kuriotates

Leaders:

1. Cardith Lorda: Adaptive, Expansive (permanent), Philosophical
  2. Cith Mor: Egalitarian (+3 happy per city, -25% gold from tax), Agricultural
  3. Herne: Defender, Master Tactician
  4. Cheron: Raiders, Emergent

Ljosalfar

Leaders:

1. Amelanchier: Dexterous, Defender, General
  2. Arendel: Dexterous, Creative, Faithful
  3. Thessa: Dexterous, Summoner, Loremaster
  4. Ivelleth: Dexterous, Imperialistic, Spiritual
  5. Eldarwen: Dexterous, Devout, Emergent
  6. Jurla: Dexterous, Zealous, Battle Hardened

Luchuirp

Leaders:

1. Garrim: Loremaster, Grand Artificer
  2. Beeri: Financial, Ingenuity
  3. Kish Rika: Builder, Engineer
  4. Gimil: Scientific, Philosophical
  5. Letigo: Miner, Industrious

Khazad

Leaders:

1. Arturus: Imperialistic, Industrious
  2. Kandros: Organised, Financial
  3. Vitnir: Spiritual, Enlightened
  4. Athel: Greedy, Slavemaster
  5. Rheorx: Miner, Engineer
  6. Ukasta: Builder, Devout

Sidar

Leaders:

1. Sandalphon: Defender, Industrious
  2. Shekinah: Defender, Creative
  3. Futiro: Defender, Assassin King
  4. Mirrough: Charismatic, Emergent
  5. Leasieigh: Death Magic Mastery (extra Death Mana), Channeler

Lanun

Leaders:

1. Falamar: Charismatic, Expansive
  2. Hannah: Financial, Raiders
  3. Laggs: Swashbuckler, Trader
  4. Casin: Creative, Emergent
  5. Mordmorgan: Slavemaster, Zealous
  6. Palgadee: Faithful, Enlightened

Grigori

Leaders:

1. Cassiel: Agnostic, Diverse, Adaptive, Industrious, Philosophical (permanent)
  2. Menec: Agnostic, Diverse, Enlightened, Emergent
  3. Zodalore: Agnostic, Diverse, Loremaster, Herbalist
  4. Outhe: Agnostic, Diverse, Scientific, Defender
  5. Goodreau: Agnostic, Diverse, Redeeming, Tolerant, Emergent
  6. Esirce: Agnostic, Diverse, Financial, Trader

Hippus

Leaders:

1. Tasunke: Horselord, Aggressive, Raiders
  2. Rhoanna: Horselord, Expansive, Financial
  3. Ostanes: Horselord, Slavemaster, Imperialist
  4. Uldanor: Horselord, Hippus Tactician (Flanking I and II for Mounted Units), Emergent
  5. Ilithiridan: Horselord, Trader, Faithful

Amurites

Leaders:

1. Valledia: Arcane, Nature Magic Mastery (extra Nature Mana), Organised
  2. Dain: Arcane, Air Magic Mastery (extra Air Mana), Philosophical
  3. Tya Kiri: Arcane, Fire Magic Mastery (extra Fire Mana), Channeler
  4. Verlain: Arcane, Chaos Magic Mastery (extra Chaos Mana), Loremaster
  5. Lorelei: Arcane, Water Magic Mastery (extra Water Mana), Emergent

Balseraphs

Leaders:

1. Keelyn: Creative, Summoner
  2. Perpentach: Insane, Arcane, Charismatic, Creative
  3. Weevil: Greedy, Foolish, Horde, Weak
  4. Furia: Thousand Face (free Mutated for all units), Slavemaster
  5. Melisandre: Puppeteer (free Puppeteer for Arcane units), Channeler
  6. Nojah: Illusionist, Emergent
  7. Nell: Trader, Ingenuity

Doviello

Leaders:

1. Charadon: Barbarian, Dominant, Charismatic
  2. Mahala: Greedy, Raiders
  3. Thudr: Faithful, Zealous
  4. Duin: Agnostic, Iron Grip, Cannibal
  5. Sirvagha: Berserker, Slavemaster
  6. Emma: Scavenger (free Light promotion for Recon units), Emergent

Clan of Embers

Leaders:

1. Jonas: Barbarian, Raiders, Faithful
  2. Sheelba: Barbarian, Imperialistic, Expansive
  3. Hafgan: Barbarian, Slavemaster, Iron Grip
  4. Ji: Barbarian, Horde, Emergent
  5. Hehnku: Barbarian, Battle Hardened, Greedy

Svartalfar

Leaders:

1. Faeryl: Illusionist, Raiders
  2. Rivanna: Mind Magic Mastery (extra Mind Mana), Channeler
  3. Volanna: Aggressive, General
  4. Hatheim: Imperialistic, Iron Grip
  5. Utiruso: Assassin King, Emergent

Calabim

Leaders:

1. Alexis: Imperialistic, Summoner
  2. Flauros: Iron Grip, Organised
  3. Mahon: Aggressive, Red Court Vampire
  4. Elena: Greedy, White Court Vampire
  5. Elijah: Slavemaster, Black Court Vampire
  6. Decius: General, Conqueror, Emergent

Sheaim

Leaders:

1. Tebryn: Sundered, Arcane, Summoner
  2. Os-Gabella: Sundered, Gatemaster, Summoner
  3. Averax: Sundered, Barbarian, Magic Resistant
  4. Gosea: Sundered, Fire Magic Mastery (extra Fire Mana), Zealous
  5. Malchavic: Sundered, Scientific, Slavemaster
  6. Os-Warqa: Sundered, Faithful, Devout

Infernal

Leaders:

1. Hyborem: Barbarian, Horde, Aggressive

Illians

Leaders:

1. Auric: Agnostic, Charismatic, Defender
  2. Braeden: Agnostic, Iron Grip, Dominant
  3. Dumannios: Agnostic, Ingenuity, Greedy
  4. Riuros: Agnostic, Battle Hardened, Emergent
  5. Anagantios: Agnostic, Industrious, Expansive
  6. Raitlor: Agnostic, Sacred Warrior, Faithful

Dural

Leaders:

1. Ophelia: Strategist, Organised
  2. Allisol: Urbane, Builder, Emergent
  3. Danmos: Adaptive, Industrious (permanent), Creative

Austrin

Leaders:

1. Deirdra: Adaptive, Trader (permanent), Expansive
  2. Sorah and Ecks: Exotic, Defender, Emergent

Looking forward to play with those and test best achievable combinations. This makes empire culture and its growth even more important

I have run several single player games and found that the AI civs' progression are quite dynamics. There are several civs that consistently at the top of the board: Bannor, Aristarkh, Kuriotates and surprisingly Sidar.

There are several that consistently at the bottom of the leaderboard: Sheaim, Balseraphs, Amurites.

My assumption on that:

Bannor is strong because Demagog start with higher strength (8) and equipment (Leather Armor), thus making early survival is somewhat easier.

Aristarkh is strong because they could produce lots of skeletons, both as their regular units and as summon.

Kuriotates's extra culture when building cities makes them grabbing land quickly, contributing to their solid economic foundation. Centaurs' higher strength (8) also helps.

Sidar? I have no idea. Trait-wise, Sidar leaders do not have something special, imho. Mistborn is at average strength level (7), however it has Undead Slaying. Maybe this promotion helps them against early Skeleton barbarian?

On the weak civs:

Sheaim should be powerful civ: their Queensguard has higher strength (8), they also start with Death mana for strong skeleton summon. They also get free units from Planar Gates. Maybe the problem is on economy? They start at Hell Terrain which spawn Spectres.

Amurites starting unit (Swordmage) is rather weak. Mind mana also does not have early summon. Maybe adding a new summon for Mind mana? A wisp?

Balseraphs weak because... Freak is weak? Balseraphs should not depend on Freak though. They should beeline and mass producing Harlequins, then Mimics. Not sure what is wrong, maybe some adjusments in xml will help?

Captain's Log, stardate 22022015:2253

Apparently my previous assumptions are correct.

After removing the majority of the hell planes, most of them are contained in small polar areas now, the Sheaim fares better in their quest to corrupt Erebus. I have increased the spawn rate of Planar Gates in order to give the Sheaim extra advantage. During the tests that I have run, they are no longer at the bottom of the food chain any more.

Adding a summon spell in early Mind Magic tech tree is beneficial for the Amurites. Instead of introducing new creature to summon, I use the Phantom Warriors exist in the game. The Amurites is now capable of holding their cities and even expanding. Unfortunately in several tests they became too greedy and being dog-piled by several nearby powers. But that's the consequences of a failed diplomacy in the Amurites's behalf.

I still haven't found a solution for the Balseraphs Question, though. I tried to increase the strength of Freaks, now Freaks have the same strength with default units. It helps only a little, though. Balseraphs still became one of the first civs to die. Further enquiries are in order, otherwise I have to search for solutions from other experts.

End of Captain's Log.

Hmm now after increasing strenght its really strange :O AI can only sacrifice one for freak show per city right? Does AI know it should sacrifice those with weaker mutations? :))

Sheaim should be powerful civ: their Queensguard has higher strength (8), they also start with Death mana for strong skeleton summon. They also get free units from Planar Gates. Maybe the problem is on economy? They start at Hell Terrain which spawn Spectres.
IIRC the sheaim have a big issue that they in reality have no recon as their only recon quickly changes into a strongish melee
(don't know if you have changed that)
and recon have very nice discipline / class (poison master...etc / bloodblade).. that can help a lot to get powerful units and enough aggressive power... and to explore land and lairs... and capture animals...Etc

edit: but being in hell plane is certainly an issue :D

Question: do you think the Bannor is over-powered?

If yes, there are several options available:

1) I might nerf Fanatic by reducing its offense from 9 to 8
2) OR reducing Fanatic's defense from 5 to 4.
3) OR, I might swap Fanatic with Flagbearer. Flagbearer will be 7 str, Disciple unit with Morale combat aura (support role) while Fanatic will retain 9/5 str, Melee unit but require Crusader civic.

Question: do you think the Bannor is over-powered?
I havent had time to play the Bannor myself (too many cool civs and too little time), but i noticed in my singleplayer games, that the AI does exceptionally well with them.

Trader

+28% food and hammer from trade routes.

Question: IIRC, only Mazatl can get food and hammer from trade routes in the first place via their Lost Lands Civic. Doesn't that make this trait useless for all other civs? Or am I to understand the 28% as of 28% of the amount of commerce generated?

Question: IIRC, only Mazatl can get food and hammer from trade routes in the first place via their Lost Lands Civic. Doesn't that make this trait useless for all other civs? Or am I to understand the 28% as of 28% of the amount of commerce generated?

Trader lets any trade route gain foot and hammers. It can be quite op if you have lots of coastal cities and proper wonders.

Commentary on the traits : General opinion

- My goal is would be to influence Evasth and the others people, about few ideas I propose about the traits. I am globally for each trait. I wanted too give my opinion, because the creators are motivated by the opinion of everyone.

- Globally, I prefer when a trait create an important difference into the decision making. Because I prefer that things have a impact and a big sens.

For exemple, the Dominant trait give +10 % probability to convert any defeated living unit. Ok it's cool and fun to convert barbarians etc. so it should be conserved even if does not change the decision making of the player. :)

But, the strategist trait for exemple, seems to change nothing and not really fun to play. Moreoever it is redondant with the trait General. So, I don't think he is usefull because he does not give cool features, and is just a slight force boost.

- At contrary of these fun traits, there is the Channeller trait which is powerfull because he does +50 % to nodes mana income. It's clear that a civ with that have a big advantage to try colonise fast near nodes, choose a very arcanic tech path, and reach as fast possible the matter conjuration ! Which is excellent.

- I love too the fact that a player can choose a new trait with culture. It's maybe too expansive, but the idea is excellent (bringed by Xtended I remember). It's a bit like the Guilds decision making : each new decision making is good and interesting, even if it can be hard to balance.

In this post, I would like to share the latest modification I made in Xtended (still unreleased), about Traits and how they affect the Leaders.

Master of Mana has a unique trait system:
  1. There are four basic traits: Aggressive, Arcane, Creative and Imperialistic.
  2. Xtended added the fifth: Faithful.
  3. If a leader start with any of the basic traits, he/she could buy an advanced trait when he/she has accumulated enough empire culture.
  4. If a leader does not start with a basic traits, he/she has to buy the basic trait first.
  5. The subsequent trait will cost more imperial culture (5000, iirc).
  6. The "Emergent" trait provides discount on the cost of buying trait. Thus, an Emergent leader potentially could has more trait than those without.

These are the list of traits and their benefits:

Aggressive:
  • Free Aggressive promotion (+10% attack) to Archer, Disciple, Melee, Mounted and Recon units.
  • Do not spend resources to build Training Yards, Barracks and War Academies.

Strong trait. It's good for any militarist civilization to have more units per each city (except the Sage district cities I guess).

Dominant:
  • Free Command I promotion (+10% to capture living unit) to Disciple, Melee and Recon units.

Fun trait. It does not impact the decision making.

General:
  • Free Cover I and Formation I promotion (+20% vs Archer and Mounted units, respectively) to Archer, Disciple, Melee, Mounted and Recon units.

It does not impact the decision making and it's not particularty fun and exploitable.

Master Tactician:
  • +25% unit support.

Strong trait.

Raiders:
  • Free Raider I promotion (+5% to heal rate, +100% gold when plundering) to Archer, Disciple, Melee, Mounted and Recon units.

Very strong if the pillage is still abused (it was before. I remember I could won more than 150 gold per improvement).

It increase the plunder of any improvement, not only the gold right ?

Swashbuckler:
  • Free Amphibious promotion (no attack penalty for crossing rivers and sea) and Drill I (+1 first strike) to Beast, Melee and Recon units.

Interesting trait if we are in a naval map.

Strategist:
  • Free Tactic I promotion (+10% withdraw, +10% defense) to Archer, Beast, Disciple, Melee, Mounted and Recon units.

It does not impact the decision making and it's not particularty fun and exploitable.

Assassin King:
  • Free Camouflage I promotion (+20% chance to apply Hidden promotion) and Celerity I promotion (+20% chance to apply Hasted promotion) to Recon units.

Fun and very interesting if the hidding is permanant. Is it ?

If it is, it means you can have very safe scout for free, if you got luck to grab it.

NOTE : In my opinion, the hidding should only work on your territory and in neutral territory, but not in foreign territory, for the reason that I know in multiplayer the hidden units can create very abused situation where you see your capital razed without excepting it at all.

Battle Hardened:
  • Free Quick Learner promotion (+20% combat exp) to Archery, Disciple, Melee, Mounted and Recon units.

It is a weak bonus. And it does not impact the decision making and it's not particularty fun and exploitable.

Berserker:
  • Free Berserkergang promotion (+25% attack, -10% defense, +5% chance to get Enraged) to Beast and Melee units.

Correct bonus and flavour. Why not.

Arcane
  • +10% mana, +20% spell research for the empire.
  • Free Potency promotion (+20% chance to gain free xp in this turn, +20 spell damage, -15% spell resist to target) to Arcane units.
  • Do not spend resources to build Mage Guild, Alchemy Lab, Warlock Laboratory and Sorcerer's Convent.

Very strong trait.

Channeler
  • +50% mana from nodes.

Stong trait especially if you can couple it with the Arcane trait.

Magic Resistant
  • Free Magic Resistance promotion (+25% resist spells) to Archery, Beast, Disciple, Melee, Mounted and Recon units.

Correct trait. I wonder if +25 % is enough or if 50 % would be better. Maybe it should feat well with a new trait with reduce the magic efficiencty of certain civs, not interested by magic research, as the Orcs or the Mazalt (If I well understand, they don't rely on magic, they prefer the faith).

Summoner
  • -33% mana for summoning cost and upkeep.

Correct trait.

Illusionist
  • Free Illusionist promotion (+50% withdraw chance, +2 first strike) to Arcane units.
  • Arcane units can cast Conjure Illusion spell (force teleport enemy units in one tile, Pacified them).

Interesting trait. Look's good.

Grand Artificer
  • Free Aggressive promotion (+10% attack) and Mobility I (+1 move) to golems.

Interesting trait.

Loremaster
  • +2 spell research per city.

Useless trait. +2 research is nothing.

Herbalist
  • +1 herbs for tiles with +2 herbs or more.
  • Do not spend resources to build Infirmary, Apothecary and Greenhouse.

Interesting trait. I wonder if herbs can be really important. To boost this trait, maybe give more +2 herbs if we want to except an important difference into the herbs output ?

Creative
  • +2 culture per city.
  • Do not spend resources to build Monument, Carnival, Theater, Art Gallery, Opera House and Colloseum.

Strong trait. Culture has became as important as the gold or the science, with the guild access ! Maybe too much important, now it's a kind of new science branch which unlock buildings and military units. I mean, no one can really choose to don't make culture. Before, culture was only culture, now it's very more.

Ingenuity
  • +10% gold, science and culture for empire.
  • Do not spend resources to build Tavern, Inn and Farmer Market.

Interesting. I wonder what does it change in the strategy, but ok.

Engineer
  • Free Mobility I promotion (+1 move) for Siege units.
  • Do not spend resources to build Forge, Water Works, Water Well.

Interesting trait.

Philosophical
  • +50% Great People rate.
  • Do not spend resources to build Elder Council, Library, Garden.

Very strong trait. And in the new Master of Mana, specialist are much more used.

Scientific
  • +3 science per city.
  • Do not spend resources to build University, Public School and Archieve.
  • +2 happiness from University.

Correct trait. The +3 research per city looks just cosmetic. It would be better than each sage give +1 reseach.

Tolerant
  • Captured cities retain their culture and can build their unique units/buildings.

Very fun and interesting trait.

Agricultural
  • +1 food for tiles with 3 food or more.

Strong trait.

Builder
  • Allow rush production using stones with -33% discount.

Useless trait. I mean, it's create something special which does not can change the decisions of the playe.

Financial
  • +1 commerce for tiles with 3 commerce or more.
  • Do not spend resources to build Money Changer, Market, Bank, Travelling Merchant.

Very strong trait.

Miner
  • +1 metal for tiles with 3 metal or more.

Correct trait. Metal is not so common in output. Maybe give +2 not +1.

Imperialistic
  • Double production speed for Royal Guard unit.
  • +33% hammer for building that already built in the Capital.
  • Do not spend resources to build Granary, Aquaduct and Construction Yard.

Strange trait but interesting. It looks a very flavour trait. There are so much traits like this "Do not spend ressources to build". But in some of them, I don't really see what does it change into the strategy.

If you don't need ressources for caserns and buildings like that, I understand it gives you more units. But what does it change as a civilization mesure, to have more granaries, aqueduct and construction yard ? I often feel these traits as "sugar" traits, done for pleasure.

Charismatic
  • +1 happy per city.
  • -25% xp required for each level.

Good trait, especially coupled with an Agressive civ (because some XP bonus buildings have zero ressources needed to be built) !

Conqueror
  • Double chance to capture building during conquest.
  • Free Homeland I promotion (+10% strength when inside territory) to Archer, Disciple, Melee units.
  • Do not spend resources to build Palisade, Walls, Archery Range and Duskwood Fletcher.

Oh very fun trait to make the war or prevent it. ^^

Expansive
  • +3 health per city.
  • Double production speed for Settler, Granary and Harbor.

Very interesting trait for early game. Sadly, the infinit city sprawn is not possible in Master of Mana. ^^

Greedy
  • +2 gold per city.
  • Free Bounty Hunter promotion (+5 gold per victory) for Melee, Mounted and Recon units.

Funny trait and interesting in early game. I don't think it can change the decision making. With 10 gold per victory, it could be more interesting maker in early game.

Industrious
  • +50% hammer for wonders.
  • +1 hammer for tiles with 3 hammer or more.

Such a nice and very strong trait !

Organised
  • -50% civic upkeep.
  • Double production speed for Palace, Summer Palace and Winter Palace.
  • Do not spend resources for building Courthouse.
  • Can build Command Post.

Very strong trait, especially for the availability of the Command Post.

Trader
  • +28% food and hammer from trade routes.

Strong trait if you are in the right commercial situation.

Iron Grip
  • -1 happy per city.
  • No anarchy.
  • -25% civic upkeep.

Excellent trait (no anarchy). Switching regims is always very enjoyable and usefull (especially for the slavers civs !).

Faithful
  • Free great prophet from Mysticism.
  • +50% faith for empire.

Very strong, maybe overpowered. + 50 % is already very high. The great prophet should be removed I think.

Spiritual
  • Double speed for building Temples, Pagan Temple and Oracle.
  • Do not spend resource for building Temples.

Interesting trait.

Redeeming
  • Victory against evil unit might trigger Golden Age.

Fun and flavour.

Devout
  • +3 happy from Tributes miracle (you need the appropriate state religion).

I don't well understand. By tribute miracle, it means the spell which create faith in each city ? If yes, it's a very strong trait because it's a necessity to use this spell.

Enlightened
  • +1 happy per city.
  • No anarchy.

Excellent trait (no anarchy). Switching regims is always very enjoyable and usefull (especially for the slavers civs !).

Sacred Warrior
  • Free Potency (+20% to gain free xp per turn, +20 spell damage, -15% target resist), Mobility I (+1 move) and Offense I (+10% attack) to Disciple units.

Correct trait.

Zealous
  • Gain military unit whenever spreading religion.

Correct trait.

Interesting opinion.

+X for Y in each city means that you automatically get that whenever you have a city. It means if you have two cities, you automatically get 2X of Y, three cities will get you 3X of Y (again, automatically) etc.

"Building X does not require resource" means that you can build X without lumber/stone/whatever, only requiring hammers. Granaries and aquaduct give you health, Taverns, Inns etc give you gold, Construction Yard gives extra hammer and one Engineer slot, etc. The buildings's effects are listed in the pedia.

Plundering gives you gold and reduces food/hammer/gold in the nearby city.

PS: it was base Master of Mana that introduced "buying traits using culture".

I already know what you explained. Except that the buying trait using culture was maid by anciant versions of MoM.

But thank you.

Ok, we have same understanding about what the traits do then.

Your observation is interesting to me since you opines that Loremaster and Scientific are not too useful and so do the traits that remove yield cost from buildings.

In my opinion, those are very useful. Loremaster allows you to research magic before you get Knowledge of the Arcane and without building Mage Guild. It also allows you to use mana freely in early game (without it, you have to decide whether you want to use mana to cast spells/summoning or you want to hoard it so the surplus can be turned into spell research).

Scientific will provide you with early game benefits (you get the benefit of Elder Council for free, and when you build the Elder Council, your science output is twice other civs with Elder Councils or quadruple from other civs without Elder Councils).

The traits that eliminate yield cost for building allows you to save yields, mostly woods and stones, and use them for other buildings. It is also very useful for the Malakim, imho.

Why I got a preference for a list a free ressources buiding which lead to certains strategies

- Oh I think I made a bad communication. I totally think that the elimination of the ressources cost is very strong ! I am for it, I exploit it and I find it very usefull. I just want to say that, sometimes, the choices of buildings looks to give a strategic orientation, whereas sometimes it looks like a "nice general developpement bonus for the player".

For exemple, having free ressources mages guildes and others schola arcane buildings, is clearly a strategic bonus for any sorcery path, even in early game.

But having free ressources Tavern, Inn and Farmer Market, I don't understand what is the possible strategical exploitation of this, at an empire level.

- And as I said, I think it's preferable to select a list of building which have a common sens to prepare a strategy, not just as bonus, but which feat to a natural potential strategy for the civ (as the Armurite have Arcane, or the Orcs Aggressive).

- It's not really important, it would be just better I think, to only have coherent list of buildings for few strategies. I would like to give examples of suggestions, but I don't have the game now, I need to buy a new computer. My old game computer is not usable, and now I write on an old laptop. I must use my memory to don't say too much bullhorsehockys.

That is why I would like to have a wiki, to read and analyse the informations about buildings etc. without need to have the Civilopedia. ^^

The "useless" traits as Scientific or Loremaster

- When I said they are useless, I don't mean they are useless in fact I mean they are useless as being in a trait list. Traits should all be importants, give an identity. Creating severals tiny traits tend to dissolve the impression that the traits are importants.

If you want to give a bonus to a certain civ it's maybe better to work on the civ directly than to give a trait.

- About Loremaster, maybe I have wrong when I say the bonus is not enough to change the decision making (and the shape of a game). It's something I should observe in the game. If the bonus is strong enough to have an importance, so I have wrong.

If it's not, its better to suppress it and give another advantage (or givenothing is the leader is strong enough).

Or, keep it, and augment it, to the point the advantage of the bonus create a real difference (as putting loremaster from +2 to +4 per city).

Commentary on the choices of the leaders traits

- My goal is to influence the Evast choices about the choices of the leader traits. :)

- The traits : Great Leader, Egalitarian, Adaptive, Defender, Dexterious, Slavemaster, Agnostic, Diverse, Horselord, Hippus Tactician, Any magic mastery (free node : death, mind, fire etc.), Insane, Foolish, Horde, Weak, Thousand Face, Puppeteer, Barbarian, Cannibal, Scavanger, Red/black/white Court Vampire, Sundered, Gatemaster, Urbane and Exotic traits are not listed in the list of traits. Certain traits are originals, others are your creation Evasth.

I think it would be more clear to see the situation of leaders of civs to have in the list all the traits including the originals of FFH2 or MoM.

- Only one leader of Malakims seems to have Desert Economy (probably a forgetting).

I edited the precedent post to add this new part :

Commentary on the choices of the leaders traits

- My goal is to influence the Evast choices about the choices of the leader traits. :)

- The traits : Great Leader, Egalitarian, Adaptive, Defender, Dexterious, Slavemaster, Agnostic, Diverse, Horselord, Hippus Tactician, Any magic mastery (free node : death, mind, fire etc.), Insane, Foolish, Horde, Weak, Thousand Face, Puppeteer, Barbarian, Cannibal, Scavanger, Red/black/white Court Vampire, Sundered, Gatemaster, Urbane and Exotic traits are not listed in the list of traits. Certain traits are originals, others are your creation Evasth.

I think it would be more clear to see the situation of leaders of civs to have in the list all the traits including the originals of FFH2 or MoM.

- Only one leader of Malakims seems to have Desert Economy (probably a forgetting).

Top Bottom