Leaders are so rare!!!!!!!!!! any tips?

I have the following suggestion. In a game where I played the Russians I got Stalin, Lenin, Trotsky and Zhukov in one turn during the modern age. (bizarrely i got Zhukov with a cossack unit and sure enough he started his carrer as a cavalry officer) Earlier i had Ivan the Terrible in the Middle ages and Peter the Great in the Industrial ages. This got me thinking, that maybe the frequency of leaders is coded into the game so that they appear in their correct historical order and at the right ages. Once the leader-names are used up it goes back to the first leader. So go to the editor. Look up the name of the leaders and find out in some historical referencebooks at what age they appeared. Is there a cluster of leaders for a certain age? At that age prepare to go on a massive killing spree, using all the advice previously in this thread.

In the case of Japan you will see there are only three leaders. Fujiwara (middle ages), Hirohito and Tojo (both Industrial ages, maybe modern ages) There is some confusion here since the modern age in Russia started in 1917 and in Japan probably around 1936. Keep in mind that the ages may start at different years in different games depending on your technological prowess.

I might be totally wrong, however if one considers how many strange (cheat)codes computergames have I would not be surprised if firaxis have left somethings for the players themselves to find out.

Originally posted by Rneilan
also, if it hasn't been said, military academy requires an army as a pre-req to build.

Just to be nitpicky, the prereq for a Military Academy is a vicotorious army. If you use your GL for an army that dies in its first battle, you still won't be able to build armies. A save game proving this is pretty easy to make. Actually posting one with the filesize limits is another matter though. :rolleyes:

As for leader names, I'm pretty sure it's just a modifiable list of names, which would make any coding around names (aside for popping up the first on the list) a waste.

I have no probs with my leaders. I usually get 5-6 in a game.

The key to it is attacking first with your elite troops and then veteran troops to bloody them a little more.;)

I usually invade whole civs and not rest until all cities have been vanquished:D

Every civ I invade I get at least 1 or 2 leaders so I have no probs.
Key is elite and veteran units

To be quite honest I have not really had a shortage of leaders in my games, so I think that it has to do more with a style of play, then anything else. For what it is worth here are a few things that I do to ensure that I get leaders as often as I can. I get at least three leaders a game and have had as many as seven.

1. Always build units that have the potential for upgrade. In the beginning of the game I build a ton of warriors. I usually do not have a barracks yet, so I upgrade the warriors by attacking the barbarians. Unless I have a scout, warriors do most of my exploring. This allows me to get a good six units to at least veteran status. When I discover Iron, build a barracks and then upgrade the units to swordsman. Now you have a half dozen or so veteran swordsman.

2. Attack with your units keeping in mind where your elite units are. I try to get as many units as possible to the elite level. I then try to only use them to attack when I know they will win the battle. I use the veterans and regulars to attack first and soften up the enemy troops. I don’t want to loose my elite units if possible. This allows me to get more victories with my elite units, and therefore more chances to produce a leader. Remember there is only a one in 16 chance (1 in 12 if you build Heroic Epic) of a leader being produced in a victorious battle. That means a lot of battles to produce the one leader.

3. Use the leader quickly. I always try to use the leader as soon as possible, so another one can appear. You can only have one leader at a time, so all battles with elite units when you have a leader are wasted, until you use him.

4. Take gambles when the odds are in your favor. I always look for opportunities for my elite units. For example a lone longbowman was 2 spaces away from my Cossack, who only had two health points left. Normally I would have left him in the city to heal (barracks there ensured that he would have healed to full health next turn). Instead I attacked and won. I did not get a leader, but there was a chance of producing one, and it doesn’t pay to ignore opportunities.

I think you have a bigger chance of getting a leader if you attack and evenly powerful unit or a more powerful unit.

I never get leaders from cavalry attacking longbowmen, but I can if I fight some elite rifleman to the death and win.

Almost always use your first leader for army unless there is some wonder you need really badly.

Originally posted by IDSmoker
Can anyone confirm (or deny) whether you can have 2 GLs at the same time?

I've had three great leaders at one time.

Originally posted by God
I think you have a bigger chance of getting a leader if you attack and evenly powerful unit or a more powerful unit.

I never get leaders from cavalry attacking longbowmen, but I can if I fight some elite rifleman to the death and win.

I don't believe that's true, but because the events are so rare, it is easy to see a pattern where none may exist -- especially when the stakes are so high.

Originally posted by Creepster
To be quite honest I have not really had a shortage of leaders in my games, so I think that it has to do more with a style of play, then anything else. For what it is worth here are a few things that I do to ensure that I get leaders as often as I can. I get at least three leaders a game and have had as many as seven.
1. 2. 3. 4.

Good tips, Creepster.

I rarely have problems with leader generation either. However, in those games where leaders are elusive, one should just buck up and make do.

I have been a militaristic culture my last 2 games (Chinese & Germans) so your results may vary <grin>, but....

I have been able to generate a GL 'on average' about every other turn, by using the following guidelines:
1) stay at war with at least one civilization at all times.
2) lead all city attacks with an elite unit.
3) never attack a pop 1 city.
4) use a GL as soon as it is generated (before making any more attacks)
5) save before attacking with an elite unit, and re-load if the elite unit is killed (don't bother re-loading just because the elite unit lost).

While #5 is optional, if you follow the other rules, you shouldn't have any problem getting enough GLs. In fact, in my current game (Regent level Pangea with 12 civs), I haven't had to actually 'build' any wonders... and I have 7 armies without using the 'Military Academy'.

I would be very interested in seeing a save game showing 2, or more, leaders in the <F3> screen (military advisor). I've never seen more than one.

Originally posted by IDSmoker
While #5 is optional,

I think many players would consider #5 to be completely unacceptable (cheating). You are changing the chance of getting a Leader into a certainty. Not the same game at all.

Zachriel: that is why I made #5 optiional....

I realize that some/many people would consider this to be cheating... especially for those playing the communal games....

I only included rule #5 for those who are struggling with getting GLs on single player... namely a friend of mine...

Interesting enough, #5 still doesn't make getting a GL a certainly, it really depends on how you time your wars...

Wow, I've never had a problem with leaders, this game I got 2 in 100 years (emperor, 800AD-900AD) I used first to make army, second to rush SETI Program. If I can build Military Academy and/or Heroic Epic, I will. Good Culture points for Heroic Epic.

:nuke:

I got two leaders really quick once also; First Kublai Khan then Genghis... The chinese nearly killed em both:confused:

It was also recently confirmed that a unit which has created a leader can´t create another one until it has been upgraded. So make sure you not only use up the leader, but also that the elite who created it is put away in wait for an upgrade (or simply disband it).

And Sylith, try don´t to confuse Armies with leaders. They are two entirely different things. You can´t have more than one leader at any time.

And Sylith, try don´t to confuse Armies with leaders. They are two entirely different things. You can´t have more than one leader at any time. [/B][/QUOTE]

Just becuase I'm a girl doesn't mean I'm stupid. I KNOW the difference between leaders and armies. I HAVE had three leaders simultaneously!

I REALLY want to see a save with more than one leader. NO one here said that you were stupid because you were a girl. They said that you cannot have more than one lader, and that maybe you meant armies. Dont get mad, please.

Yes, If you have a game with more than one leaders post. I think TF said somthing on main page bout it.. but slipped my mind. check it out. www.civfanatics.com

Top Bottom