1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Leaders belonging to multiple civs?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Creation & Customization' started by luei333, Nov 6, 2017.

1. luei333

luei333 Chieftain

Hey there, I'm trying to make one of my leaders belong to 2 civs. Obviously, having a civ with multiple leaders is supported, but the reverse seems not to be true, at least to an extent. I tried having multiple <Players> entries in my Config file, with different CivilizationType entries in the <PlayerItems> table entries, but when I load it into the game, I get 2 entries for my leader, with either of the respective civilizations as expected, but each of those lists all entries in the <PlayerItems> table, not just the ones relating to that civ. So, instead of 1 unit and 1 building, each shows 2 units and 2 buildings. That said, I haven't tested whether both units and buildings show up in-game for the leader, etc.

One potential solution to this would just be to make a duplicate leader, but my worry there is both versions getting picked as a random civ/leader, which I would like to avoid.

I haven't looked at these forums in a while, so if anyone knows any relevant threads or resources, or just knows what's up with the civ select screen here, please let me know. And sorry if my post seems rambly or weird, I'm posting just before I head to bed.

2. luei333

luei333 Chieftain

Any info on this at all? It's something I've been trying to deal with for a while.

3. LeeS

LeeS Imperator

I think you're trying to do something the game isn't really even remotely configured to handle. Everything assumes that a leader is tied to a specific civilization, so while it appears like tying the same leader to more than one civilization is kind of working for you, you are running into the issues that surround deviating from Firaxis' coding expectations.

4. luei333

luei333 Chieftain

Yeah, I figured as much, but I was hoping someone had found a workaround of some sort. I'll have to look at making 2 copies of the leader, then maybe finding a way to prevent the random civ selection from picking both in one game. Though that might not happen either.

5. dunkleosteus

dunkleosteus Lieutenant Commander

Could you hook into the tick box "No duplicate leaders" to prevent it from spawning? I think that would be the place everyone would expect that to happen. You'd probably have to add the check yourself that prevents them from spawning because the leaders would have to be named differently in code.

6. luei333

luei333 Chieftain

Yeah, that's the thing. I'd have to edit whatever file does the random selection to specifically include this, which would mean my mod might conflict with other mods, which is a thing I'd generally like to avoid. I suppose I could have it load after those mods it conflicts with, or since there are only like 4 leaders that have multiple versions, I could probably safely ignore it, and the chance is pretty low of getting both copies in the game. Guh, I just wish it was a thing that was supported.