1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Leaders in Conquest - a scarce resource ?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Percy, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Percy

Percy Cow who laughs

hey all =)

i've been playing 3-4 games during last two weeks, finishing only one, but playing at least to 500 AD in all.
    in my last game, i was Japan (Militaristic/Religious), and i won by conquest. i eliminated all the civs myself.
    i spawned 2 (two!) MGL...
    i had no other leader when fighting, be it Scientific or Militaristic (i used my SGL to rush ToE since it got spawned by replaceable parts i think, and i had a huge empire able to research techs in 4 turns, so i didn't keep him long).
    since i was MIL, i had quite a number of Elites, and yet i only spawned 2 leaders (one of them was spawned on a defense and killed on a subsequent attack in the same turn, that rocked). i must add that it only spawned when there were 2 civs remaining, in something like 1500 AD.
    is there something i am missing ? i keep reading people spawning MGL like there is no tomorrow in SGs, so what's wrong with me ? have i just been unlucky ? I only commented on my last game, with Japan, but the 3 others i spawned NO MGL (or SGL for that matter) at all... i believed in it being related to luck, until i conquered the world with a MIL civ ^^
    for info, my games are on Standard maps, on Monarch, with everything else random (8 civs, all random too).

btw, speaking of the Jap game... how is it possible that my Modern Armours get crushed by Riflemen inside side 5- towns ? and i will never again laugh at people talking about Spear VS Tank: i've seen it with my own eyes (and my psyche hardly survived ^^ :crazyeye: )

thanks for the help/answers/emotional support/flames =P

2. Ginger_Ale

Ginger_Ale Lurker Retired Moderator

It's just the streaky random number generator at work again. The chances for a MGL to be spawned is 1/16, but that could easily be less or more depending on your luck. The odds are for your next game you'll get more leaders, but it is made to be pretty random.

There isn't a requirement of civs left, year, etc, it's just a hardcoded 1 in 16, 1 in 12 if you build the Heroic Epic.

Sorry to hear of your bad luck, hopefully it'll change. :)

3. nullspace

nullspace King

The only way to get more MGLs is to win more elite fights. Many players "fish" for leaders by trying to use elites as often as possible, and only against the easiest targets. You use your veteran knights against enemypikement, and use the elites against the longbowmen, for example. This way, your elites will almost never die, and they won't have to waste turns healing, they'll be able to fight more often. Also, don't upgrade your elites. I'm pretty sure there's a strategy article on this.

You didn't mention what difficulty or map size you played on. You'll certainly get more leaders on a large map on deity than a small map on regent simply because you'll kill many more units before you win by conquest.

4. Percy

Percy Cow who laughs

;)

anyway, as i said in my original post, i had a large number of elites (being MIL) and tried to land my final blows with them (when the elite Modern Armour didn't get kill by an unfortified conscript rifle, that is =) ).

but Ginger_Ale confirmed what i feared, it was just pure bad luck... well, next game, i'll have 12 armies running around then ^^