1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Leaders of Varietas Delectat

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Mod Components' started by avain, Apr 29, 2009.

1. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

Lately I get most of my MAFs playing Earth map in Total Realism
    But on a few occasions it also happened in other mods too (RFCE, Diplomacy II)
    The good news is I never had any playing VarietasDelectat or QuotCapita :goodjob:

2. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

Hey avain, I just checked all the optimized LHs in detail
    I have to say again: it's an awesome work. No noticeable quality loss and overally the size reduced to about half of the original. Great job!

A few things I noticed:
    • There is a better Sargon in the DB. The current Sargon you using is a reskinned Hammurabi. I think the other one in the DB is much better, but it was made by Den9510, so some serious optimization would be needed (similar size as Nebu II was :S)
    • If I'm not mistaken, it's the v1 Nefertiti you optimized. There is not much difference, but Pencilgod uploaded a slightly improved v2 in october...
    • I also saw another version of Amra's Topiltzin somewhere. It was pretty much the same as this, just had a cool golden necklace. Not necessary better (I chose to upload the same you use last year), but maybe you like that one more. I will try to find a link soon
    • Oh and I was surprised you did not use the new Alexander. I suppose you will stick to the original one then?

Also, if you want to add a few more leaders, I would really like to see these optimized in VD:
    I tried to find leaders for civs not overrepresented already, and all LHs are awesome work of Capo or Ekmek. Hope you will find some time to optimize some more ;)

3. avain

avain (key)

Thanks for the info! I will certainly check the new versions. The new Alexander is brilliant, but surprise, surprise - needs optimizations;) But I wanted to include it at some point...

About other proposed LHs (I know all of these BTW;):
    Afonso Henriques - not too fond of this one, too "generic" feel (revised opinion: now that I check pictures of him, the LH is actually quite good...)
    Cetshwayo - I like this one a lot. Probably will add it, and remove one of the two "mad" African leaders
    Chandragupta - high quality, agreed. Will see, but India is ok with 3 leaders already IMHO.
    Constantine - too similar to Augustus and M.Aurelius, and Rome is ok.
    Jingu - yeah, very good one, too. Will see if I'll add it;)
    Ogedei Khan - nice LH, but not distinct enough from Kublai Khan...
    Vercingetorix - I like this one too, will see

And also I have seen other excellent LHs, but there are 2 limitations:
    - MAF
    - optimizing (that needs to be done by me...)

But I appreciate your enthusiasm.

I'm currently in the process of including all v3 LHs to QC as per popular request (and with fingers crossed that I don't thread too much into the dreaded MAF heavy territory) ...

4. Thomas SG

Thomas SG CCV-designer

Sorry, that I can't make a screenshot. Don't know why it doesn't work. But have a look at the smile of Mobutu in the pedia. ;)

5. avain

avain (key)

Bah, it's because of this new toothpaste he's using:D

6. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

Yeah, I know you are very careful about MAFs - and it's a fortunate thing for all of us
    Optimizing these LHs is a benefit for every member of the Civ community (or at least to the ones without a 64 bit OS)
    Anyway, I hope there is some more "room" for the optimized version of all these (and possibly a couple more) awesome LHs in VD. Maybe even in QC too

Btw, I meant Constantine for Byzantine, not for Rome. Right now VD has only 2 Byzantine leaders
    Oh and I also checked, ThomasSG is right. Mobutu has pink teeth (probably missing texture/shader?)

7. avain

avain (key)

Jeez, I already told you he has very sensitive teeth! He's using the world famous Pink Flamingo Sensodyne toothpaste, that has this unfortunate side-effect!

edit: ok, finally I managed the correct the teeth, but unfortunately there are other problems with this LH :(

8. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

True, his forehead also seems very strange
    In my opinion it would be better if you switch him to Cetshwayo...

9. avain

avain (key)

BTW, I just finished optimizing the new Sargon, and Nefertiti got her boob-job, too ;)

10. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

And I have found the Topiltzin I was talking about. Attached here
    But actually I remembered wrong, it's nothing truly unique, just the same golden necklace from Pacal.
    Furthermore it doesn't fit him very well, when he bows you can clearly see that the necklace ends on the shoulders
    So I'm not really sure anymore if it's better than the version you already optimized...
    Check it out, maybe you still like this more

If we are already talking about Amra's leaderheads, can you also optimize Suppi and Sunni Ali?
    I plan to upload the new optimized version of Topiltzin, and I would like to update the other 2 two along with him
    Probably there is not that much to optimize there (5 and 6 megabytes), but every optimized bit counts in big mods...

EDIT: Attachment deleted

11. The Capo

The Capo godless Heathen

Hey! Wait a minute!

How is Ogedei too similar to Kublai Khan? The only similarity is that they have the same robe on, but it is recolored and I am quite sure that plenty of people wore that style of robe. Booo!!! :mad:

12. avain

avain (key)

Don't be mad! I'm in love with your LHs! ;)

13. avain

avain (key)

version 3.1 uploaded
    ----------------------

Changelog

v3.1

- added Jingu by Ekmek, optimized by avain
    - added Cetshwayo by The Capo, optimized by avain
    - added new Sargon by Den9510, optimized and reskinned a bit by avain
    - added new Alexander by Ekmek, Bernie14, The_Coyote, The Capo, optimized by avain
    - added Gustav Adolf (man, this guy has a serious case of lobotomy) by The Capo, optimized by avain (who tried to cure the head but not really succeeding)
    - added Mongkut by The Capo, optimized by avain
    - added Vercingetorix by The Capo, optimized by avain
    - added the Trung Sisters by Ekmek, optimized by avain
    - Nefertiti got a boob-job
    - called a dentist and corrected Mobutu's Pink Flamingo(TM) teeth (also eyeshadow added)
    - Henrique the Navigator's greeting text XML name corrected in Civ4DiplomacyInfos.xml

14. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

Really nice update :goodjob:
    Did you find some time to check the necklace of Topiltzin too?
    I just ask whether I can remove the attachment (or not yet)

15. avain

avain (key)

Thanks.

Of course, I checked it, then I realized it's exactly the same I'm using (well, not using the exact nif but it's there) - there was a reason that I'm still using this one but I forgot what it was :crazyeye: You can easily switch to other one if you like it better since it's included in the FPK!

16. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel Office Linebacker

This doesn't work with Quot Capita 6.03, does it?

17. LunarMongoose

LunarMongoose King

This has probably been messed up for a really long time already, so I doubt anyone would ever notice at this point... always up to me to find the really obscure bugs lol.

In your ImprovedGraphicsLHs.FPK file, in the obvious folder, there is a file named "qin_shi_diff - copy.dds" that should be named "qin_shi_diff.dds", the result of which being that the better skin for Kublai Khan was never getting used.

... You're welcome. :)

18. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

Yep, I already realized it's almost exactly the same and told you in the post where I uploaded the file. The only real difference is the necklace, and it's just a copy from Pacal's.
    I'm not sure what do you mean by switching, I already unpak-ed and sorted all of your optimized LHs long ago. Now updated to 3.1, Toliltzin is the same there...

Maybe you can also optimize the other LHs I asked for? I'm not sure how much time does it take to optimize a leaderhead though. So if it's a huge job then don't bother with it, no problem

EDIT: Btw, I checked Sargon. I still have a problem with it: we should change the animations. It's based on Gilgamesh, and right now they way are too similar with the same anims.
    The reason I suggested to switch from a Hammurabi based LH to a Gilgamesh based one is because for Hammurabi no other animations work properly, for Gilgamesh (supposedly) a couple sets works fine - Charlemange, de Gaulle, Pacal, Sitting Bull. Though I didn't check/test this yet properly, but I can take a look on it tomorrow if you want to...

19. avain

avain (key)

Wow, nice find! Thanks;)

20. avain

avain (key)

I mean just edit the xml to point to the nif you want.

About the other leaders: I'll see, but right now I have more then enough quality LHs, and need to shift focus to coding and other stuff. But if you really, desperately, life-threateningly need them, just shout

What I could use is some help with diplomacy quotes for the LHs. Some are given, some I have done, mostly there's none, I would need quality quotes for the LHs. Meaning based on real quotes (see Actual Quotes mod), real historical data, etc, because that's the way I like it (so no greeting like: "Welcome to the party" and sorts)