1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Leaders of Varietas Delectat

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Mod Components' started by avain, Apr 29, 2009.

1. avain

avain (key)

I have spaces in unit names and it seems ok.

Now I checked Putin and I could not hear any diplo music :(

2. avain

avain (key)

I checked other WoC mods, and even thou the schema seems so, I bet there's problems with making audio really modular. So what I've seen is that they have all the defines compiled into one file and put into the xml folder. So basically no real modularity here I guess...

3. mamba

mamba Deity

Yes, as far as I know, audio is still not modular. There was a (WoC ?) tool which assembled the different audio-xml snippets and put them into the big file. So you can provide 'modular' audio definitions, but they will need to be added to the non-modular file via the tool. It is included in RevDCM.

4. avain

avain (key)

Thanks for the confirmation, mamba!
    Absinthe, if you still intend to do diplo sounds, I suggest you do it this way...

5. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

Oh, that's really unfortunate news :(
    Altough I just saw, that the extra civ pack in RoM uses some kind of modular sounds, but maybe it's the same way mamba suggested...

6. avain

avain (key)

Please check the tool mamba mentions. It might mean that you do everything as if it was modular, so it should not be a big problem...

7. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

I did not have much time in the past few days, but I will check the diplomusic this weekend
    Here is an updated release of the leaders though, with a few more unique personalities, some new leaders (for a total of 65) and updates to various diplotexts and civilopedia entries.

The civiliztaioninfos.xml files point to the civs you use for the leaders in VD and QC, so if you changed the file structure to the way I use it, you just have to drag and drop the leaders' folder

Still planned to do:
    - Make the modular audio files for the leaders we want to use diplomusic for, and check the audio part in all of the leaderheadinfo.xml files
    - Revise fav. civic, fav. religion and traits for every leader, as I didn't care much for that yet...
    - And of course finish writing custom personalities and diplotext for the last few leaders in VD, maybe add a couple extra leaders from Diversica and other mods which I hope you will incorporate later ,)

Hopefully I didn't make too many mistakes, but waiting for your bug report...

Attached Files:

8. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

Thx! Actually Tamerlane and Ataturk is ready, the others would be awesome!

The leaders I didn't find or write personalities for: Atototzli, Bush, Caligula, Cleopatra, Hussein, Ibn Saud, Idi Amin, Lenin, Mandela, Mongkut, Nefertiti, Obama, Pinochet, Putin, Theodora, Topiltzin, Van der Donck, Wu

I will try to finish the others you don't want to do, actually already started a few of them (Wu, Topiltzin, Putin)

9. The Almighty dF

The Almighty dF Pharaoh

I forgot Mandela entirely. I'll do him too. It'll be nice writing for a peacemonger.
    I'll also take on Nefertiti, I'll just need to merge her a bit with her husband. Cleopatra though... I'm -really- not sure how to do.

I'll start up on Bush, Caligula, Hussein, Ibn, Idi, Lenin, Mandela, Mongkut, Nefertiti, and Pinochet right now.
    That'd just leave (after you've done your three) Atotozli, Cleopatra, Obama, Theodora, and Van der Donck.

10. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

Sounds good :goodjob:
    I'm not sure you have this, attached all the vanilla leaders personalities
    I base most of my changes on this, it's very helpful...

I'm just curious, what are the most important stats in your opinion? And do you change the diplomacy modifiers too (contactrands, contactdelays, memorydecays, and memoryattitudepercents), or just leave them as they are in your base leader's personality?

Attached Files:

11. The Almighty dF

The Almighty dF Pharaoh

To me, the most important stats are wonder construction, the war ratios, build unit prob, and flavors.
    I almost never change memorydecay and contact delays save for if it's something the leader in question was known for.

Also, a really neat line most modders don't seem to use, but is incredibly useful for some of our... hrm... more crazy/egomaniacal leaders?
    iBaseAttackOddsChange. Only two base civ leaders have a stat beyond default (Ragnar and Napoleon). Basically, it causes the leader to see the wrong odds, leading to them attacking forces (only sometimes) that are more powerful than they can handle.
    It adds a lot of realism to leaders that were too... dumb, I guess you can say, to really know when their plate was full (Hitler) or too prideful (many, many Egyptian and Roman leaders would fall into this.)

Also a tip: I strongly recommend going for extremes on most lines, except for wonder construct and unit build prob. Only do it if the leader -really-, -really- fits it (Good luck getting Sitting Bull to be a vassal). Also, don't set raze city above 0 unless it's -extremely- fitting (the only vanilla leaders I'd say even fit it are Ragnar and Genghis, for example.) This is because it... does seriously screw over the AI to raze cities, most of the time, so you really don't want many that have a chance to do it.
    Even then, don't go above 25 (except maybe Hitler and Genghis. I mean come on, Genghis basically erased an enemy from history. It's due partially to him later leaders severely valued NOT SCREWING WITH MESSENGERS.)

Don't forget UnitAIWeightModifiers either. I notice most custom leader personalities don't change that from what they've copied from originally. It's easy to forget, but it does have a -huge- impact on playstyle. It's the reason why Sitting Bull spams archers, why Pacal has more workers than any man, etc.

12. avain

avain (key)

Excellent, guys, I'm awaiting your great additions.
    I'll include all VD Leaders to QC (most probably separated to 2 packs - this is because I did some tests again and still found something about MAFs)

13. The Almighty dF

The Almighty dF Pharaoh

14. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

Awesome, I will check them and incorporate them soon :goodjob:

Avain, when do you want to release QC 7.0? Without the audio xml files and diplomusic there isn't that much work left (a few personalities and diplotexts), so I guess all the VD leaders will be ready in 1-2 days

15. avain

avain (key)

Soon, so hurry up;)

16. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

TAdF, I quickly run through those and you did a great job here!
    If you think some of the other leaders' personalities (which I consider more or less ready for now) can be made better - and if you have time - feel free to improve those too

17. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

Alright, I will try to finish them tonight.
    Will upload a new version tomorrow, before I go to sleep (4-5 AM CET)

18. avain

avain (key)

Oh, c'mon, although I like your work ethics, you don't need to keep awake that much because of this!

19. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

No, of course not, I'm not -that- enthusiastic :D:D
    I just usually work at night on my computer anyway, and I can check a few personalities and diplolines when I get tired of it and take a break...

20. avain

avain (key)

;)

Will you be including The Almighty dF's work?