1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Leaders you like play as for reason other than efficiency

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by zig_zac, Feb 28, 2012.

1. zig_zac

zig_zac Chieftain

OK, it belongs to stupid questions series, but can be fun maybe.

I mean, there are some leaders I like to play not just because of their in-game merits.
    For example:

- Augustus Cesar: hell of the politician, and cool leaderhead,
    - Washington: the spirit of enlightement personalized. And looks stylish,
    - Mansa Musa: he is so peacefull AI, that I just had to like him,

from Polish Empire Mod:
    - Casimir. He simply was the perfect ruler. Also has awesome beard.

- can't play Monty really. I know you don't see a leaderhaed of your own leader often, but guy with a small skull in his hair? Nah, I'll rather beet him with any stick available.

Yep, that's not rational, but it ads that fun factor::crazyeye: How about you?

2. digitalcraft

digitalcraft Chieftain

Orange. Simply because the Netherlands are pretty cool.

I also often will pick a leader just for the fun scenario. Saladin or Justinian for the fun religious spread at all costs, etc. Not because of what the leaders give at all, but because of the historical events they are associated with. Hannibal to go kick rome in the teeth.

3. Marcvs Avrelivs

Marcvs Avrelivs Warmongering Fool

Mhm, I do that to; I remember playing Caesar once with the appropriate civs; Greece, Egypt, Persia (as the Parthians), Carthage, Gauls, etc. :lol:

But my most memorable one was with Napoleon; Vive La Grande Armee! Vive l'Empereur! :hammer:

4. zig_zac

zig_zac Chieftain

I believe Saladin was portrayed untruly, he wasn't that much about religion - no more, than all the other leaders of his time, when religion was so important. His main trait reported in history books is rather chivalry, so he should be the vassalage fan.
    Saladin is an example of fine leader I can't play at all, what really makes roleplaying hard:)

5. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Smarticus Pantsidae

What? No love for Monty? How can you not imagine playing while wearing a great hat like that? :lol:

I usually play random leader/civ, but if I had to pick a leader for the conditions in the thread, I would pick Boudica. A fellow Celt (sort of), all around tough chick, and she looks a lot like someone I might wake up beside after too many margaritas. :mischief:

6. TiglathPileser

TiglathPileser Chieftain

Cyrus with the Great Wall, constant war, attach all the GG's and promote each with leadership.

7. zig_zac

zig_zac Chieftain

Oh yeah, Boudica.
    Sexy feminist of the Ancient Era. But prefer playing against her, can see her more often:)

Also that's the other reason I can't play Monty. What Boudica will think of me seeing this hat?

8. JBryan314

JBryan314 Always Watching

I like playing as Alexander against Cyrus, just to have the whole Greeks vs Persians thing going on. I also often play as Roosevelt vs Churchill and Stalin. And sometimes throw Mao Zedong in there too, but for some reason I usually wipe him out before the birth of Christ...

9. strijder20

strijder20 Wallowing in irony

I like Willem van Oranje (not
    :nono:) and Elizabeth a lot.

10. Sojuz

Sojuz Chieftain

Catherine, like the spirit of Mother Russia, and like the theme.
    Roosevelt, great man, love the theme.
    Julius Caesar, our great roman ancestor ;).

11. rah

rah Chieftain

Usually play random, but if it's choice, I always choose based on getting an advantage.
    I've never been able to play civ as a role playing type game. The closest I've ever come to that was ALMOST feeling regret when I eventually back stab by game long ally.

12. FlyinJohnnyL

FlyinJohnnyL You need more workers....

Granted he's one of the stronger leaders, but I've always like Hannibal. Carthage is just fun in general.

Shaka is fun if you want to war monger. I like thinking I'm some primitive, ruthless band of warriors.

13. Zx Zero Zx

Zx Zero Zx Chieftain

I find Random to be the best leader in the game. They are always very strong.

14. oldskald

oldskald Chieftain

Love playing Romans with either random leader or AC or JC purely for the look of the Praets and HAs.

And later the English for the Redcoats.

15. Sisiutil

Sisiutil All Leader Challenger

It wouldn't take me too many margaritas (ahem!)...
    Can't argue with that logic.
    I'm on board with both of these.

16. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam GiftOfNukes

Why imagine it?! Just wear one.

I like cherry tapping and often pick bad leaders on purpose. Monty is actually good though, I'm thinking more guys like Toku (leading the anime empire), anybody from Germany/USA, Boudica (she's not that good actually), and HRE.

My favorite cheese weasel civ is probably Egypt.

17. Zx Zero Zx

Zx Zero Zx Chieftain

I like the HRE. :( And what? Both Egyptians are in the top 10 best in the game.

18. Sojuz

Sojuz Chieftain

Isn't Boudica nice? I mean, she apart, i always get a lot of promotions while playing her, that was fantastic and the Dun is pretty nice as UB, adds +2EXP if i am correct and their UU is kinda great, only thing that can really match the damn praetorians.

19. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Smarticus Pantsidae

And mess up my hair? Have you learned nothing from me all of these years?

Wait! Don't answer that. :lol:

20. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam GiftOfNukes

It's fine to like HRE even though they're terrible. And terrible they are! The UB is good, but the UU is low-tier at best, the traits (imp/pro) are not good at all thanks to the failaxis protective nerf, and the starting techs are the worst you can have. I guess if you separate them from burger king then they can actually be decent-to-good.

And when I said I like Egypt to be a cheese weasel, I meant that Egypt is STRONG, not weak. War chariot abuse is amazing and they pack flexible leaders (not to mention an easy AP bulb win through the UB if one wants to cheese the game even more).

:mischief:

Not all of us have that much hair there, but point taken.