1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Leaks and Spoilers of Civilization 6, oh my!

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Duke William of Normandy, Mar 10, 2021.

?

Are the leaks intentional are not?

1. They are intentional.

2. Not sure.

3. Firaxis has bad luck.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Duke William of Normandy

Duke William of Normandy King of England & Unofficial Welcoming Committee

At this point, with basically all the leaks for Civilization 6 Leader and Civilizations, I'm questioning whether or not Firaxis is intentionally leaking this stuff or they just have the worst luck in existence. I mean, just look at how many times something for Civ 6 has been leaked.

Credit to @Potworny for the list below:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Civet Chart (intentional?)
    Civilopedia Kerfuffle
    Poland's music in the game files on premiere (though, our UU was in the trailer, so that maybe shouldn't count)
    Chandragupta and the Cree Chinese leak
    I think somebody shown Mapuche too early but I don't remember
    R&F civilopedia NDA breach (Scotlant and Zulu, I think)
    Vesuvius concept art leak inc. Eleanor, Kupe and some more
    trefoil forums GS leak, including WIP photos of the leaders, the leader list and new mechanics (honorable mention to a fake leak guessing Hungary, and inventing Noongar, among others)
    Apocalypse mode BiliBili showcase leak
    Corporations and Heroes mode mechanics in the files
    Kublai Khan and Vietnam readme file that the devs didn't actually want you to read
    Literally all of the NFP besides Gaul.
    Portugal
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What are your thoughts on this, dear viewer?

Hawke9, Kjimmet and Ryansinbela like this.
  2. Buktu

Buktu Prince

I guess it is intentional. That's way too much leak for it to be bad luck. Also look at all those hints they give in their videos.

3. gimley_gunner

gimley_gunner Chieftain

it's only bad luck if people aren't talking about it

4. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

Vietnam+Kublai leaking like 5 months ahead of time, followed by them quickly replacing the files in an update, I think was accidental. A lot of the rest of this, like this leaking of achievements this week, I'm not going to say is 100% accidental. I think ever since the initial leader image list was accidentally leaked and they saw the wild and random speculations there, they probably enjoy keeping us fanatics guessing and searching.

5. DogeEnricoDandolo

DogeEnricoDandolo King

The Dutch and Wilhelmina were leaked by a Dutch news station who broadcast a piece of the First Look video even before the video was published.
    And the Mapuche was leaked in an official video at 3:19, 2 weeks before their reveal:
    Civilization VI: Rise and Fall - New Features Explained (Full Details) - YouTube
    Nothing tops Vietnam & Kublai though, leaked in July (Ethiopia Pack). 6 months before their release.

Hawke9, Myomoto, Kjimmet and 2 others like this.
  6. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

I'll say one thing for sure: If Ed did that civilipedia spoiler on purpose, he should pursue a career in acting, because if that face he pulled afterwards was acting, there's definitely an oscar waiting for him.

Datgingah, Meluhhan, Hawke9 and 9 others like this.
  7. Hellenism Salesman

Hellenism Salesman Prince

As someone who is a bit unfamiliar with Civ leaks (I only got into the series around November of last year :p), can someone explain what these are in detail? I've never even heard of some of them.

8. Duke William of Normandy

@DogeEnricoDandolo's post has some details on some of the leaks. I'm not sure myself, try looking around for details.

9. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir Emperor

Don't forget that the whole Babylon pack was leaked on Switch Store as well.

Edit: Also, the Bilibili one wasn't really much a leak, because that video is uploaded by the Chinese department of 2K - it is an official tease video, just specifically made for the Chinese civ community.

10. Duke William of Normandy

That's what the "Literally all of the NFP besides Gaul" part meant.

11. konokoni

konokoni Chieftain

I voted for "bad luck." Enough of these seem like accidents that I don't think it's deliberate by Firaxis. If they're intentional, then their marketing team deserves credit for covering their trail well.

Some of the leaks (the GS leader info leak) look like insider info, but I would assume it's someone on the Firaxis team (or Aspyr for that matter) leaking WITHOUT the approval of the marketing team. Given the amount of people working on Civ VI, it doesn't surprise me that at least one person couldn't keep their mouth shut.

12. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

I can see some of them being intentional such as the Chinese leaks and the GS leaks.
    I don't believe that the developers at Firaxis would officially leak most of the information, which is why I voted for mostly bad luck.

13. LMT

LMT Warlord

Could be both. The Vietnam and Kublai leak was probably an accident (as UWHabs mentioned above).

The Portugal and Zombies mode leak (if true) was probably intentional.

Portugal leak to get some of us excited. Zombies leak to soften the blow when the actual announcement is made.

AntSou and Zaarin like this.
  14. Zaarin

Zaarin Diplomatic Attaché to Londo Mollari

I voted "not sure," but what I really mean is I think it's some of both. The civet chart may or may not have been intentional, but like @kaspergm, I don't think the Civilopedia was intentional. The various NDA breaches are obviously beyond Firaxis' control. If RisingTyphoon's identity was discovered, I suspect (s)he is out of a job. :p On the other hand, I think most of the various NFP leaks have been deliberate. They know we like to sleuth things, and they're indulging us.

Meluhhan, Kjimmet, _hero_ and 3 others like this.
  15. Duke William of Normandy

RisingTyphoon? I'm not that knowledged on these leaks, so I'd like more information.

16. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

It was AssemblingTyphoon who leaked the real leaders and game mechanics of GS.

Meluhhan, Hawke9, Kjimmet and 3 others like this.
  17. Zaarin

Zaarin Diplomatic Attaché to Londo Mollari

RisingTyphoon leaked the name and every leader/civ of Gathering Storm before the expansion was announced. (S)he also provided a list of civs they were considering for the future that roughly but not exactly lines up with NFP. Their name was clearly a parody of Gathering Storm, and in retrospect they clearly had inside information.

AssemblingTyphoon, that was it. I knew it was some wordplay on Gathering Storm.

Hawke9, Kjimmet, konokoni and 3 others like this.
  18. Duke William of Normandy

Thanks for the info. :)

Hawke9 and Zaarin like this.
  19. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

If you've not heard about civilopedia gate, this happened at one of the early Rise And Fall (I think?) live streams, and Ed (and Anton?) was presenting a civ, I don't recall which, and someone in the chat asked for their agenda. Ed's response was "ok let's show it, try to go to the civilopedia to look it up", which they did, not realizing that opening the civilopedia had a list of all the (unrevealed) leaders in the side menu, thereby ruining much of the hype build-up they had (supposedly) planned for the upcoming weeks.

20. Potworny

Potworny Warlord

I really liked the fake GS leak. It was fun. And the civet chart was absolutely the best, piecing together sparse information that lead to quantifiable results was fun. If the leaks were intentional, that's when they were at the top of their game :p

Also, as I've mentioned in another thread, I've found something in the textures that has no value to our little civ research game, but seems to be something that the devs have consistently avoided including in the past, I guess it could cause a minor headache to somene. Possibly. I don't know. I may very well be overreacting. I've tried DM'ing Kevin Schultz on Twitter, out of no better ideas (and the sparcity of DM-able Firaxisheads I found). Let me know if you have an idea about how I should approach it, if there's an appropriate person to contact now.