Learning Civ IV à la C2C

mcshame

Warlord
Just started a fresh playthrough with C2C on build 9310. I'm playing Indonesia on a Huge PerfectMongoose map at a Snails pace. I restarted after a couple of hours of play because the eon setting...we'll...was taking eons!

I'm a newbie player to Civ IV and C2C, so be warned! Looking forward to the journey from Caveman to Beyond!

My Youtube live stream can be found here Live Stream Channel

Recorded sessions

Game Settings
01 - Settling Jakarta

First session, I got a random Civ of Indonesia. I settled Jakarta near the ocean and rivers and seem to have 1 resource for now. City tile selected for hammers as I build up food in the city . I haven't lost my 2 warriors yet but did loose a subdued wolf (my 1st!). I got like 3 gatherers from huts and such and a wise woman that is accompanying my clubman.

Techs are mostly centered on revealing items on the map, health improvements and food. Oh, and some volcano is erupting near me, I guess I'll stay away, don't know their purpose yet. Lot's of desert on my map, trying not to damage my units too much.

Last edited:
I really wonder if I'm playing this wrong. It's progressing so slow.... I'm focusing on food production to try to grow the city but it seems like I'm falling behind the others. I lost all my warriors, not going so well.

If there are any tips on starting out, would be appreciated

Last edited:
Two things come to me right off.

1. When selecting what to build (in the city) next, always go for buildings that provide :hammers:. Unless there is an immediate and dire need for something else, :hammers: takes priority as the more you have, the faster everything else will get built. Food can wait, especially in the very early part of the game, since there are no really good sources early game.

1a. Well, the bit about :food: is partly wrong. There is a good source. It is called Animals. You have to hunt animals to develop properly in the early game.

2. When sending units out to hunt or to explore, which are basically the same thing, you should send out stacks. That is, have a Warrior, a Scout, and a Healer (Wise Woman) at the least, in the same square all times. Once you get Hunter type units, it can be a good idea to include one of those. You can also double-click on the square to select all units in that square (except for cities, as double clicking them will open the city screen) so you can move them all at once.

2a. When exploring or hunting, never pass up entering a square with huts on it. In the video in your 2nd post, your unit heading North passed one up. It was probably because you had "show yields" on and just did not see it. The second such hut they came across provided the free Wise Woman unit.

I've only gotten about half way through the video in the 2nd post so far, as it is very frustrating for me personally to see someone stumbling over things that seem obvious to me. I do realize that you have not played the game before and are just learning though, so I'm trying to refrain from being overly critical. Let me know if I fail, as I do that sometimes.

Something to keep in mind though. Despite having a lot more experience than you do, I also often find myself a bit behind the AI during the early and mid Prehistoric Era. Don't worry too much about it. You should be able to do well enough, unless you set the difficulty to Immortal or something silly like that.

Actually, I can think of something you may have done wrong during setup. You failed to reduce the default number of AI players. Personally, I always reduce the number of AI players to about half of as many as the game defaults to (based on map size). However, this is a personal preference as I like to have more room to expand (and hunt) into, so it may or may not count as an error. Also, having more AI means your computer has more work to do each turn which slows down the game and makes for larger savegame sizes.

Interesting... I usually increase the # of AI players by a few. I guess I like to be able to assume an early war will be in the cards.

It is true that it's tough to keep up with the AI out the gate. I'm not sure what they are choosing that makes this so true but even on Noble that can certainly be the case.

Advice is advice but don't stress it too much. If there's one thing that the Multi-player games have taught me, no-one is an absolute master and we've all figured out different ways to play and strategies to rely on.

Early units are going to struggle to survive. They can get lucky and survive for a long time but if they are intrepid explorers, they are likely to eventually perish, which is totally normal and not the end of the world. Some games I find I have to retrain my exploration parties quite regularly, even when stacked.

There are other stack options to what Magnus mentioned as well. But I don't want to give too much advice ;) Except this: Rejoice in the not knowing. It gives you the blessed opportunity to make the discoveries that can make this game so much fun.

Thanks, I will. I was working a bit on Civ V to beat the Emperor level. Wife is out of town this weekend so going to try to beat it at Immortal, I'm feeling lucky! The issue is I'm trying to cram two generations of Civ into the this year of my life! Civ IV may be the death of me with C2C, Fall from Heaven, Final Frontier...and I'm itching to play Vox Poli as well of Civ V. I promise I will get back to C2C. I don't want to even think about Civ VI....in theory, I'm going to hold off until there are more mod pack and I get the CIV IV and V out of my system but I have a bad feeling that I may be kidding myself!

Are you jumping right into CIV VI when it comes out?

No. I disliked Civ5 and Civ6 looks like more of the same. C2C is just so much deeper. Even though I have not modded C2C in 2 years I still love it and what the current modders have done with it since I have left civ4 modding. In short C2C will always be on of my favorite games of all time. And one of my proudest mods to have been part of.

No. I disliked Civ5 and Civ6 looks like more of the same. C2C is just so much deeper. Even though I have not modded C2C in 2 years I still love it and what the current modders have done with it since I have left civ4 modding. In short C2C will always be on of my favorite games of all time. And one of my proudest mods to have been part of.
I'm hoping you won't be out of the loop forever bro. At some point soon I think we're going to need you back on some tasks you were always the master of here. Some areas that still need just a little more icing on the cake to finish off.

Ok, but i will need some help burshing up on my Civ4 modding. Been modding PZ for so long I forget how to code Civ4.
It's like riding a bike my friend! I'm sure I don't speak purely for myself to say we'd love to have you back on the job here.

Top Bottom