[NFP] Least Favorite Ability?

While we all have our favorite Leaders, there are also... less fun cases.

So rather than getting you excited and creating enjoyable games, I'm looking for your choice of your least favorite leader or civ ability.

If you're struggling to pin it down to one, list as many as you'd like, but here are some criteria that may help you narrow things down.

Is the ability fun to use? We play games to have fun, don't we? So if this ability isn't fun to use, then it reasonably won't land high on our levels of attachment.

Is the ability interesting? Some abilities open up entirely new ways of viewing the game. For instance, take Babylon's eureka-skipping. It entirely changes the way you think about the tech tree and makes researching far less passive, as unbalanced as it may be. If an ability doesn't change the way you look at things or force you to adjust your strategies, it might not be your favorite.

Does the ability present something new? An ability doesn't have to make you think or get you excited to be your favorite. Something that shakes up the standard playstyle and presents a new path to victory can bring some variety and diversity to a sometimes stale experience. Kupe, Eleanor, and Mansa Musa are all good examples. They change the way you play the game and give you an experience that no other leader can. If an ability doesn't offer anything new, then maybe you won't enjoy it as much.

With those questions taken into account, I've figured out my choice. My least favorite ability is Chandragupta's Arthashastra.

Arthashastra: Can declare a War of Territorial Expansion with Military Training, instead of Mobilization. +2 Movement and +5 Combat Strength for all units for the next 10 turns after declaring a War of Territorial Expansion.

The reason this ability lands as my absolute least favorite is because it fails to answer any of the above questions with a yes.

Is it fun? Not for me, anyway. I never liked abilities that just give you a temporary win button. There's little thinking involved in a Varu rush, and few ways for it to backfire. Just train them, research Military Training, and declare a Territorial War. Then they'll already be so superpowered there's no challenge or engagement anymore.

Is it interesting? Hardly, from my point of view. It just gives you a very dry and simple approach to domination that boils down to abusing a stupidly good Cassus Belli. There isn't much thinking involved and it doesn't encourage me to attempt an unorthodox strategy or think outside the box.

Does it present something new? Nope. It's actually almost an exact copy of Cyrus's leader ability (who was released first, might I add). Both of them just give you absurd movement bonuses that don't really provide a new playstyle to domination. They just make you do it better.

But what about you? What is your least favorite civ or leader ability? I'm interested to hear what everyone else has to say.

Even though I use the Civilizations Expanded mod, I'd say Sumeria's Epic Quest.

Robert the Bruce:
A lot of people don't like the "declare this kind of war" abilities, but I don't necessarily mind them if they are portrayed accurately. I wish his ability was tied to a Reconquest War instead of a Liberation War. Is it bad that I don't care about restoring cities to friends or allies, unless I get benefits from it like John Curtin? I'd rather go to war for my own cities which makes more sense historically for him anyway. :mischief:

Robert the Bruce:
A lot of people don't like the "declare this kind of war" abilities, but I don't necessarily mind them if they are portrayed accurately. I wish his ability was tied to a Reconquest War instead of a Liberation War. Is it bad that I don't care about restoring cities to friends or allies, unless I get benefits from it like John Curtin? I'd rather go to war for my own cities which makes more sense historically for him anyway. :mischief:
I actually have a lot of fun with Robert's ability, since I sometimes see myself as a restoration warmonger.

My vote goes to Wilhelmina's Radio Oranje. It's just so... non noticeable? Grote Rivieren is great. But hers might as well be nothing.

My subjective least favorite is Nvemba's "religious convert." While it is certainly interesting and presents something new, it is incompatible with how I like to play. Still, I'm glad Kongo is in the game, as I wouldn't expect everyone to be my cup of tea.

I actually have a lot of fun with Robert's ability, since I sometimes see myself as a restoration warmonger.

My vote goes to Wilhelmina's Radio Oranje. It's just so... non noticeable? Grote Rivieren is great. But hers might as well be nothing.
I'm not usually a warmonger so when I play as Scotland I've never activated it. But as I said if I want to be a restoration warmonger I'd rather do it as John Curtin and get bonuses for every city I liberate. :mischief:

I usually always trade when I play Wilhelmina, or when I play anybody in general, so even though it's not the biggest bonus a little culture from trade routes at least help me more then wanting to declare a certain type of war which I never do.
Though Scottish Enlightenment is great combined with the Golf Course.

Last edited:
Peter the Great's The Grand Embassy. My playstyle focuses heavily around science and faith, and Russia's other abilities encourages building up culture (or rather new slots for poor great writers, artists and musicians) making the ability completely pointless.

Peter the Great's The Grand Embassy. My playstyle focuses heavily around science and faith, and Russia's other abilities encourages building up culture (or rather new slots for poor great writers, artists and musicians) making the ability completely pointless.

Oh right... I forgot about these chocolate teapots...

The CB ones are definitely not up to par. I’d much rather have a +1 to something which can help me/peaceful players. Or, even a bonus on something military focused.

The CB bonuses I think have problems in that they're either a little too easy to trigger, or else they can be gamed, or else they're too hard to trigger. It makes it so hard to balance.

So, for example, Territorial Expansion is one of the easiest CB out there, so getting that bonus early is super strong. On the flipside, Robert the Bruce can do liberation wars, but he doesn't actually have to liberate cities. So you can easily game that system to simply declare liberation wars, then sue for peace, and rinse and repeat every 10-20 turns.

And then you get the cases like Tamar and Protectorate wars. The biggest problem there is that often times, by the time you notice someone has attacked your suzerain, if you have to denounce them, wait 5 turns, and then declare, suddenly it's not a protectorate war anymore and you missed your chance.

At least with Australia, you actually have to physically liberate the city to get the bonus, so it's a little harder to game the system. But it still relies on certain AI competence to be in position to actually do those declarations. Some games it's to play as the great liberator, getting bonuses all the time. Other games, obviously not so much.

There are so many bad ones to choose from, it's honestly hard to pick a least favorite. There are civs that I refuse to play due to their extreme lack of competitiveness on Deity. Sweden, Denmark, Kongo, Spain, Scotland, Georgia, Khmer are all pretty terrible and lack anything that can make games very interesting for me.

But if I had to choose one absolute worst ability it would probably be Tamar's Glory of the World, Kingdom and Faith for a leader, and tie between Georgia's Strength in Unity and Canada's Four Faces of Peace for civ.

I think Tamar's leader ability is probably the worst of the worst.

For me it's Frederick's Holy Roman Emperor. An extra military slot that I don't particularly need and incentivizing removing fun city state mechanics from the game which I hardly ever want to do. It's like the antithesis of how I want to play.
That was my first thought but then I realized that even if I don't want to capture city-states I like the idea of having both discipline and survey once you unlock code of laws.

I second (third?) the vote for Robert's ability. I've played two games as Scotland where I literally had no chance to activate it the entire games, and one where I had one opportunity to activate. Compared to Curtin's ability it is just terrible.

And then you get the cases like Tamar and Protectorate wars. The biggest problem there is that often times, by the time you notice someone has attacked your suzerain, if you have to denounce them, wait 5 turns, and then declare, suddenly it's not a protectorate war anymore and you missed your chance.

Actually you can declare a protectorate war immediately after denouncing the enemy. Still not the greatest ability but it helps not to have to wait the five turns. The ability is worth it for the double-envoys though.

My least favorite ability is Swift Hawk. It just doesn't work. I can see what they were trying to go for, but unless it's a city already struggling with loyalty, it will just regenerate back to full loyalty pretty fast if you don't get the kills to flip it. Then the problem arises that you flipped it... why not take it in the first place? It's a lousy ability.

Wilhelmina's Radio Oranje. From a historical standpoint, maybe. However, it's boring and super bad. I wonder how the Devs thought this would work as a balanced ability. Wilhelmina is super interesting, and I think she deserves better.

It's not a specific ability, but a few civs in general: any civ whose bonuses are 90% or more focused purely on domination victory. I never play these civs. Zulu, Ottoman, (Genghis) Mongols... just extremely boring.

Anything warmonger related as I don't go to war if I can help it. But of abilities that might actually be relevant to me, I'd have to concur with those saying Radio Oranje and The Grand Embassy.

Anything warmonger related as I don't go to war if I can help it. But of abilities that might actually be relevant to me, I'd have to concur with those saying Radio Oranje and The Grand Embassy.

I guess I"ll copy Zaarin's idea and put some non-war related abilities that I find the most boring.

For civ abilities, probably Dharma. Pretty negligible.

For leader abilities, probably Radio Oranje.

Top Bottom