1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Least Favourite Civ?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by akashsara, Dec 21, 2012.

1. akashsara

akashsara Warlord

I actually don't like Spain. I'm always unlucky at discovering Natural Wonders so their UA isn't good for me. I usually go Tall so the Conquistador is kinda boring. The Tercio are okay though.
    So what are your least favourite Civs?

2. HappyBuilder

HappyBuilder Chieftain

I didn't like playing as Siam in vanilla, but it's a lot easier to gain influence with city states in G&K. I should give them another look.

HB

3. Aaron90495

Aaron90495 King

Another vote for Siam. Boring UA, horrible UU, and a mediocre UB that only is great when using the Legalism gambit.

4. seancolorado

seancolorado Deity

Huh, I actually like Siam. UA isn't my favorite but Naresuan's Elephant is an amazing defense unit for staying small or expanding without being aggressive. The UB I think is great, real solid.

My least favorite to play is Germany. I don't like having to go after barbs early on. It's certainly nice to be able to get a free warrior without wasting time on production but just not my cup of tea. The Landesknecht is solid but not spectacular and the Panzer is powerful but comes too late in the game for me to give two hoots

5. Princeofnigeria

Princeofnigeria The illustrious

5. Siam: I love Culture sides. Anyone who has seen any of my posts knows that. But I like culture sides that can project power and can fight. Siam is a culture side that can't project power, just throw up a mediocre defense.
    4. Iroquoi: WHY CAN'T I USE ANY FORREST?! THE INCANS AND POLYNESIANS DON'T HAVE TO PUT UP WITH THIS CULTURE BORDER BULL SH*T! They have a building that can be worse than the basic, and a cheap unique. I also don't really love science sides, especicially the ones using swordsmen in 1820... Dumb.
    3. Germany: WORST. ABILITY. EVER. It only works in encampments, only half the time, and a quarter off unit maintenece is NOTHING!!! I also don't like war sides. Only reason this isn't lower is because I like the uniques.
    2. India: yknow how I said Germany has worst ability ever? I LIED! This is the only ability that can actually make your situation WORSE. There unique takes out the only advantage chariot archers have (speed) and their UB replaces a building that rarely gets built before unspellable austrian castle built by Ludwig II.
    1. Japan: ugh. Two horrible uniques, an ability that is practically worthless with the changes to combat, and I'm not a fan of east asian music. Also a boring color scheme and I don't like war sides. Nothing here for me.

6. seancolorado

seancolorado Deity

Apart from the music, I'd have to agree with you on just about everything on Japan. Although I wouldn't call the Samurai horrible - I think very few uniques are actually worthy of that title, the Zero however is

7. Petiscator

Petiscator King

I am actually surprised with so much hate for Siam! Personally, I find them great.

My least favourite civilization to play with is Polynesia, mostly because I dislike the theme, the flavour, the leader, etc. It is not because they are weak - though, in my opinion, they aren't very strong apart from water-heavy maps (in which they do rule), but because I dislike them. :(

Gameplay-wise, I think it is, IMO, India. The UA acts more like a penalty than a bonus, and when it is useful, happiness is not hard to come by. As India is oriented towards culture, it is not hard to keep a tall empire happy. Some suggested going on a conquering spree with India, because the AI would have huge-pop cities and yada yada, but it doesn't work very well. Even if they DO have such a big pop, when you conquer it goes by half and you'd still get 6 unhappiness + Pop/2. Another thing is that it would be hard against city spammers. Regarding the UU, I actually like the War Elephant a bit, for me they are the best part of India, being able to act as mobile, earlier and cheaper (if I'm not mistaken) CB - the problem is, it wouldn't be very wise to actually USE THEM. About the UB, I think it is very very weak. It only gives +2 culture on a building that, even though having 0 mainentance, is hardly built. Compare it with the Siamese Wat, that comes around the same time: it gives 3 culture and is an always built and needed building.

EDIT: BTW, I actually like the Samurai, you could get some easy top promoted units with barracks + armory there. The Bushido helps them, and I like it a bit. The Zero sucks, though.

8. Crafty Bison

Crafty Bison King

Yeah Siam are pretty kickass, one of the strongest about. Anyway, here's mine
    1: India. Obviously. They're rediculous. Firaxis start over with this civ please.
    2: Austria. Just feels wrong. I lament that the hussar comes on a civ with such a twisted UA.
    3: Iroqouis. okay so they were vanilla mp beasts, but sp GnK I just can't get enthusiastic. Forests should be for chopping for wonders! Also as an AI they really bug me. My biggest annoyance is that the movement doesn't work outside territory in the early game, and microing the roads is so annoying.
    4: Ethiopia. (I imagine this will annoy some people). You either have to go tall and get minimal use out of the UB, the best part of the civ, or completely ignore the UA and UU. Plus I like the struggle of getting the religion out, ethiopia takes away that part of the game for me.
    5: Korea. Yes, they're very strong. In fact I think that's why I don't reallt like them! Science has always been my least favourite way of achieveing things as it's what everyone does, and games with Korea feel very prescribed and unadventurous. Also, Hwachaa, why not just use your crossbows (with logistics), Turtle ship, y u xplore so slow?

9. Halcyan2

Halcyan2 Emperor

Last favorite in general (reverse order):

5. England

Nothing wrong with them, I just find their uniques to be a bit boring. Good military, especially for Medieval/Renaissance, just not my style.

4. Japan

Nothing wrong with them, I just find their military focus a bit one-dimensional.

3. India

Have the potential for interesting Tall empires, but I don't like the penalty for going wide and don't like the UU or UB.

2. America

Love the country, hate the Civ V abilities.

1. Ottomans

------------------------

As a separate list, I will list some of the civs that I find extremely boring to play, but are actually some of the strongest (and most popular):

5. Korea
    4. Greece
    3. France
    2. China
    1. Babylon

10. Tabarnak

Tabarnak Cut your lousy hairs!

5(less worse) : Netherlands
    4 :Sweeden
    3 : Polynesia
    2: Ottomans
    1 : India

5 personnal bests :

1 : Babylonians
    2 : Incans
    3 : Mayans
    4 : Aztecs
    5 : Americans

Why Americans? Because of his starting bias(rivers), his capacity to buy cheap tiles(so much useful) and +1 sight. Beeline gunpowder to make a very annoying army. In mp these abilities are pretty strong. Less for sp but still useful.

11. Halcyan2

Halcyan2 Emperor

Unfortunately the river start bias was taken out a few patches ago.

A shame because it helped balance America a bit.

12. comatosedragon

comatosedragon Emperor

Hmmm .. my least favorite civs to play as ...

a) Denmark. As a matter of fact, one of the two civs I have never used in over 1000 hours play time logged. So, I guess (rather unfairly) they are my Least Favorite Civ, tied with:

b) Sweeden. Their UA goes against everything I believe in as a civ player.

c) Ottomans. I don't know why, I love naval combat, and the Ottoman UU's are strong, I just never seem to have a good game as them.

13. comatosedragon

comatosedragon Emperor

This is true, but I must agree with Tabarnak. America is probably my favorite civ to use, and I never even play MP. I find scouting to be the most exciting/important of (especialy early) the game, and the American UA fits my play style perfectly.

14. Tabarnak

Tabarnak Cut your lousy hairs!

Hmm well for some reason i always got a riversided start with them since GnK(about 4-5 games total). A shame, i agree.

15. Halcyan2

Halcyan2 Emperor

I find the Spanish UU's both a bit boring. It's the UA which I love.

I enjoy how it really encourages a different playstyle focusing on exploration.

Even if you aren't that good about discovering Natural Wonders first, the ability is still strong if you settle near them. I like settling near Natural Wonders even when I'm not Spain (sometimes I have a very spread out empire)!

Germany and Songhai aren't my favorite. However, I appreciate how both of them encourage a barbarian hunting focus in the early game (where Honor is strongly encouraged). I like how it gives different flavor to those civs.

Well, the longhouse can be a real productive powerhouse. Their ability is interesting since it encourages you to keep all your forests.

Mohawk Warriors are strong because they don't require iron so you can spam them out quickly.

Incans are very strong but you do need to spend worker turns on the cheap/free roads. The Iroquois get the road bonus automatically (if it's in your territory). Also, if you lose control of the territory, the enemy may use the Incan roads but they can't use the Iroquois forests.

I don't like India and I think the War Elephant is crappy. *However*, compared to the War Chariot, the War Elephant does not have the rough terrain movement penalty, meaning you can move on to rough terrain and still fire.

I actually find Denmark pretty fun.

Their special is *very* strong with ranged units and even better with siege units since you can disembark and fire in the same turn. Melee units can also "store up" their movement. The big thing is that units that start embarked retain their extra movement so you can really do nasty rushes, especially if you get Naval Tradition and the techs that increase your embarked movement (Astronomy, Steam Power).

Amphibious Berserkers are also pretty good.

What don't you like about it?

I think the gifting GP's is a bit weak. But I love the DoF Great Person bonus. I enjoy peaceful, diplomatic games, so getting +50% to +100% to your Great Person production is great. You can do culture games with lots of GA's. Or science with lots of GS. Or go wonder crazy with lots of GE's. I never bother with their UU's though, but it's nice to know that you have the option of going military.

I find the Ottomans boring.

Their UU's have gotten better over time. With G&K, the Janissary is now along your upgrade path (Musketman had to be hand produced in Vanilla). And the latest patch with new pillaging rules makes the Sipahi quite good.

But I just don't find them very interesting or fun.

16. Matthew.

Matthew. Deity

Least favorites:

Greece: Don't like the color scheme. Alexander's smug face and attitude annoys me. I never get good use out of their unique units; I generally don't build horsemen and I don't hard build spears. Also don't care for the city-state bonus, even more so with spies.

Polynesia: Rarely play island maps, so the scouting isn't as good. Maori warrior is :( and statues are weak. Also don't care for the color scheme and music.

Runner-ups:

Korea: Again, the color scheme and music. Not because of far east theme, because I like China and Japan. Never get much use out of the unique units.

Songhai: Music :( No specific reason other than that... just not really feelin' it. Mandeku cavalry are fun though, and the triple barb clear actually makes a notable difference if you are aggressive with clearing.

17. Zaimejs

Zaimejs Emperor

No one has said the Mongols or the Huns. I usually do a random start with a random leader unless I'm going for some achievement. I'm trying to think of the leaders I get that make me just want to restart.

1. Napoleon. I hate France. I have always hated France... since Civ 2.
    2. Spain. I hate Spain. I hate them less in Civ V than I have in the past. I do like the unique ability, but once the wonders have been scouted... meh.
    3. Germany... just a disappointment. Such an amazing country rich with so many historical achievements, and yet they focus on stupid landsharks and panzers???? The printing press. Martin Luther. Beethoven. Modern economic and engineering powerhouse. Meh.
    4. America. I hate Washington. I just can't stand him. I find the unique crap boring and dull.

that's it. I don't think I've ever gotten Gandhi on a random start which is ironic considering my avatar. I used to really like playing India... things must have changed with the patches because there is a lot of hate in here for the man of peace.

18. Silverfuturist

Silverfuturist King

Interesting insight with America, who I think are underraterd on MP (but they are not a top pick for me.) The +1 sight often gets them a few extra ruins, a little extra gold for meeting more CS first, less barb camps will spring up near them - and if Spain is in the game perhaps you will find natural wonders before them. Especially if the wonders are off the coast, it is nice to not have to spend those extra turns hugging the coast to find wonders.

America with Great Wall is nice, buying up all those cheap tiles to expand the Wall during wartime!

19. Tempto

Tempto Chieftain

I disagree. Personally, Germany is one of my favorites to play as. The UA is AMAZING early-game. It allows me to effortlessly build up a decent army early game without sacrificing precious production building units. A quarter off unit maintenance can actually be very significant in the late game too when it's pretty much a military count bluffing competition. Size matters. :D

20. SouljahAtWar

SouljahAtWar Wasteland Souljah

My least favorite:
    ALL THE WAR CIVS! Warring is so horrible that I discount playing as a warmonger-- except Attilia-- warring with him is actually fun!