1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Least important strategic resource

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Jazzmail, Jun 1, 2007.

?

for least important resource:

Poll closed Jun 23, 2007.
  1. Uranium

57.1%
  2. Saltpeter

23.2%
  3. Oil

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Horses

14.3%
  5. Aluminum

3.6%
  6. Rubber

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Coal

1.8%
  8. Iron

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Jazzmail

Jazzmail King

Following up on quintillus' poll:
    What would be the least important strategic resource, in the special case where you have to win decisive battles in all the four ages?

2. MAS

MAS Deity

Uranium!
    Nukes are nice, but they aren't dominating. You still have to have the conventional troops to back them up, regardless...

3. ecuwins

ecuwins Emperor

I will second Uranium. After that it is a tough call. Maybe horses if you are India and plan to build not war.

4. civverguy

civverguy Emperor

None. All are important.

5. Findus

Findus Warlord

I agree. Uranium is a weapon in itself where it gives additional 50% shield through nuclear plants and Nukes. But thats all. The second would be salpeter i think becouse you can survive through the last middle ages without it and after that its soon useless... (If you have the other resources at that time!) My third would be horses! I think you could make it through just the same without them, that is you have iron/salpeter.

I would take aluminium wich comes almost at the same time gladly over it. Just open the civilopedia and look what needs it... Though one must consider that these two are the late resouces and without the early ones you might not last. That does make aluminium less needed if i would have to remove one. :p

6. civverguy

civverguy Emperor

You need uranium to make spaceship parts so I think it is important.

7. Findus

Findus Warlord

I cant see anyone playing this far and planning to go spacerace all they way. I mean its not like you always get uranium either. If the computer has it... well lets just say i can do something about it if i have aluminium, oil and rubber and a number of cities to speak of. Dont need nukes to invade either...

8. Ansar

Ansar Détente avec l'été

Uranium is almost never necessary to win.

Saltpeter is useless after Cavalries.

9. Kumquat

Kumquat Not an Orange

It was close between uranium and saltpeter but saltpeter is worse for me because I always play into the modern era and I am a builder :) Saltpeter is for conquerors.

10. Pyrrhos

Pyrrhos Vae Victis

Horses. Esp if you play Celts. And you can get Statue of Zeus if you really need cav with any other civ.

11. Aramazd

Aramazd Deity

Uranium, is useless for building units, you can win without uranium. Except for Space Race, but one trade is all you need.

That requires ivory though.

12. TheOverseer714

TheOverseer714 Overseer

I say Uranium, Aluminum, Saltpeter in that order, though all of them are needed, some can be obtained if you have the other more important ones. If you have Horses and Iron, you can take Saltpeter(Knights), If you have Rubber and Oil (most modern units) you can get Uranium. Oil and Aluminum(Tanks, MI, MA) can get you any necessary resources!

13. King Hannibal

King Hannibal Chieftain

Uranium no real point unless you are at war with every other civ, why use nukes tho when tanks in my opinion are better.

14. Aceman101

Aceman101 Emperor

Yeah, Uranium. Not that I don't get that far, but it seems logical to me that uranium is the least useful resource. After that, Hmm, Saltpeter is quite important for cav's and Frigates. But, I can survive without cav's or Frigates. So for me it would be, uranium, saltpeter and then aluminum, in that order.

15. Jazzmail

Jazzmail King

Yeah I think you're right. Uranium is a bit too obvious.

Worst thing about not having saltpeter is missing out on cannons in the middle ages and not having cavalry in the early IA, before tanks arrive. Muskets are possibly worse than cheaper pikemen, so no loss there.
    The gap can easily be overcome by using knights in the MA and making heavy use of artillery and rifles in the first half of the IA.

Aluminium is required for nearly all Modern units, but bombers and infantry have no true modern replacements and arties still get the job done even with the coming of radar. The greatest weakness will be IA Tanks having to do the job of modern armour here.

16. Pyrrhos

Pyrrhos Vae Victis

Exactly! There's a huge difference between having 40-50 instantly upgradable cannons to support your invading cav and inf on the one hand and have to wait for 25 or so turns while you build your art from scratch. Musketmen can be bypassed, but doing without cav is hard so, to me anyway, salpeter is quite important!

17. Aceman101

Aceman101 Emperor

Hmm, that's what treb's are for. :p

Yes, cav's are important. But saltpeter renders useless after a very short period of time. Skip Cav's, rush to tanks. :pat:

18. Pyrrhos

Pyrrhos Vae Victis

There, there. Don't get excited now. :pat:

Taking the most direct routes through the MA to MotTp, skipping all non-essentials, that's only 24 techs to research, 25 if you take MT too. Starting at the same point, you get to MT after seven. Even at 4 turns/tech, it's 68 turns to survive without cav before you get to tanks.

:pat:

[ In the immortal words of Dennis Lillee to HM QE II - G'day mate! ]

Trebs. Well. Erm... Put it this way, trebs are at best/worst no more than a nuisance. I'd rather build knights and pike-/musketmen.

19. Aceman101

Aceman101 Emperor

I wish! ;)

Use Knights and Treb's. Build lot's of Trebs, knock down the enemies to 1 hp and then attack with knights, odds are you'll win.

Man, I shouldn't have started that! But :pat: to you too.

[ In the immortal words of an American, Y'all have a nice day folks :D ] :pat:

C'mon Pyrrho's, use your strategy within you, it's beyond superior. :D

You do the Maths, you'll lose lot's less troops with treb's. Let's just leave it at that. ;)

EDIT: If you built 30 treb's and 15 knights, you'll conquer your enemy, yes, slowly, but eventually you'll get their. Now, if you built 30 knights instead (I'm not doing any precise calculations, so I could be a bit off here) The defenders will slowly kill off your knights. Even Pikemen have better odds than knights. And you won't conquer - your choice. :D

20. Pyrrhos

Pyrrhos Vae Victis

This is really off topic, sorry, but for knights you need three techs which means 12 turns against six and 24 for cannons and seven and 28 turns for MT. Can you wait 12 turns for cannon and 16 turns for cav? I can.

PS! Almost forgot -> :pat: