1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Least Important Unit?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by JTMacc99, Jun 9, 2009.

?

Least Important Unit?

1. Airship

24 vote(s)
    7.1%
  2. Anti-Tank

25 vote(s)
    7.4%
  3. Knight

1 vote(s)
    0.3%
  4. Artillery

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Attack Submarine

9 vote(s)
    2.7%
  6. Machine Gun

4 vote(s)
    1.2%
  7. Stealth Destroyer

28 vote(s)
    8.3%
  8. Mobile SAM

11 vote(s)
    3.3%
  9. Spearman

2 vote(s)
    0.6%
  10. Ironclad

134 vote(s)
    39.6%
  11. Carrier

5 vote(s)
    1.5%
  12. Submarine

12 vote(s)
    3.6%
  13. Nukes

8 vote(s)
    2.4%
  14. Chariot

4 vote(s)
    1.2%
  15. Crossbowman

2 vote(s)
    0.6%
  16. Cuirassier

6 vote(s)
    1.8%
  17. Swordsman

3 vote(s)
    0.9%
  18. Privateer

12 vote(s)
    3.6%
  19. Grenadier

3 vote(s)
    0.9%
  20. Gunship

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  21. Horse Archer

4 vote(s)
    1.2%
  22. Pikeman

5 vote(s)
    1.5%
  23. Paratrooper

12 vote(s)
    3.6%
  24. Musketmen

18 vote(s)
    5.3%
  25. Mobile Artillery

6 vote(s)
    1.8%
  1. JTMacc99

JTMacc99 That's a paddlin'

I've really enjoyed the points of view in the Worst UU poll, and I noticed a lot of discussion about how a good base unit doesn't guarantee a good UU. So, I thought I'd open up a worst unit poll just to make the comparison.

However, worst unit seems like a bad way to say it. I probably won't build a lot of triremes, but they sure do a nice job protecting seafood from barb galleys if I ever actually need them.

Instead the question is, what do you think is the least important unit? Your answer will probably take into account the era, the likelihood of you actually needing or using it in a game, the actual effectiveness of the unit in its era, and its useful life.

For me, it's probably the submarine. It seems like the unit, given there is also an attack submarine coming on line around the same time, should be available at Combustion rather than at Radio. Also, destroyers would then not be able to see them until the discovery of radio. At least this way you could have a useful life for submarines where they would absolutely savage old wooden navies (which hopefully wouldn't be in hiding since they wouldn't actually see the subs in the area) and then you could slide them into the missile carrying roll once they become vulnerable to enemy destroyers.

AS FOR THE 25 CHOICES:

I couldn't just put every unit up here, and probably didn't want to. For example, the Explorer is excluded because it has no useful purpose, and I don't think I've ever seen a game posted in these forums where the player has even a single Explorer running around. Also, I had to use some judgment and weed out a lot of units that I think would only get a few votes. So, no transports make the list. Destroyers are out. Infantry, Rifles, Axemen, Longbows, Archers, Marines, Mech. Infantry, Fighters, Bombers, Macemen, Trebs, Cannons, and a few other units that make frequent appearances in every game I've ever seen posted here were all excluded from the list.

I still ended up with some very useful units (in my opinion) on the list, but I'm hoping I didn't leave off anything that many people actually don't like. I suppose there are some people who have no use for SAM infantry, since I myself rarely build them, but that's the only one of interest I might have left out.

2. madscientist

madscientist RPC Supergenius

The Explorer.

3. Insanity_X

Insanity_X Warlord

explorers. by the time you build them, on anything other than a Terra/Archaepelago/Earth map all the goody huts will have been popped.

4. §L¥ Gµ¥

§L¥ Gµ¥ Prince

ironclad.

Seriously, no ocean squares and a short life-span? WTF?

Explorers, if I want a medic, I'll have one as a scout already. Besides, unless it's a Terra map, all the landmass has been discovered already. And if it is, the Explorer doesn't stand up in strength to the massive barbarian presence anyway.

5. JTMacc99

Going to edit the OP to mention why Explorer (and the good version of scout) is not going to be on the poll.

6. §L¥ Gµ¥

§L¥ Gµ¥ Prince

surprisingly, I have found a use for machine guns. After grabbing steel from the liberalism and going on a nasty little romp and conquering a lot of territory, I find that railroad becomes an important support tool, and machine guns a critical new defensive weapon to protect newly captured cities on the front as my offensive is starting to run out of steam. Machine gunners can handle an grenadier, or rifleman with ease, which is what I'm up against at that time.

7. Kwibuss

Kwibuss Warlord

I voted for nukes as I refuse to use them :)

8. ParadigmShifter

ParadigmShifter Random Nonsense Generator

Ironclad is going to romp this ;)

9. Gliese 581

Gliese 581 Your average civ junkie

I chose Ironclad but some of the latter units I seldom build, like Attack Submarine. Explorers are useful when there are huts to pop on other landmasses that are unguarded or guarded by a warrior or archer (better results than from spies). Can also be used for a supermedic as a 2-move unit when no horses are available and no scouts were saved.

10. Cornhog

Cornhog Warlord

I build explorers when I need a Medic III so they won't engage in combat. I voted airship because I've never built one. :) I always have better things I'd rather build at that period.

My second choice would be paratrooper. I've built them but never really used them for anything other than novelty. Ironclads mostly suck but at least you can use them if you need to finish conquering your own continent. They mop up the wooden ships and (IIRC) they upgrade to destroyers.

11. TM Moot

TM Moot King

i have built a few ironclads in the odd game or two, so i went for stealth destroyer, never built one and don't recall ever seeing one anywhere..

12. Cornhog

Cornhog Warlord

If you've never seen a stealth destroyer then apparently they are doing their job.

13. DABegley

DABegley Warlord

Whoops, didn't see ironclads on the list or I would have voted for them vs antitank.

14. JTMacc99

I like machine guns more since they added the intercept chance, making them better multi-taskers. My usual desire to found Mining Inc. also means I get them fairly early in comparison to when the AI gets Physics.

15. oyzar

oyzar Have quit civ/forums

Privateer is pretty much strictly worse than frigates against humans...

16. MadmanAtW

MadmanAtW Knight

Ironclad, no question. It isn't just the short shelf life and the no ocean squares, but also that you need to be the Vikings and have circumnavigated the globe to have a chance to ever attack something with them.

17. Shurdus

Shurdus Am I Napoleon?

Ironclad. not only is it too slow to catch anything but it's manoevrability is too limited too. It is also obsolete in the blink of an eye.

18. Ghpstage

Ghpstage Deity

Voted iron clad. I don't think they ever have a reasonable use, even Explorers are more useful :lol:. I quite like subs personally, the missile ability is very handy stealthily exploring rival waters and under sea ice are nice and having 80% withdraw from Flanking 2 is huge.
    Still can't see em being worse than Iron Clads though :lol:.
    Even in MP the fact that Privateers cause no WW, can be built with copper, give sentry to a stack and can cause damage without getting close enough to be fired at must be worth something right? I do wish they could bombard though :(

I cannot think of a single situation where an Iron Clad can perform anything whatsoever without playing 3 levels below your own on SP where it might get to kill a galley or two, well I suppose you could block all coast tiles around your continent to stop an invasion :rolleyes:. For all intents they are obsolete when the enemy gets Astronomy :lol:

19. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

I voted ironclads even though I've actually used them in a game. I voted it least important, since I could very well have just built other frigates and SOL instead, and have it do pretty much the same job.

Grenadiers would probably be my next choice, since at that point, I'd usually rather have either more cannons, or they'll be used in cleanup (so I don't mind grabbing the cheaper muskets), or I'll already be close enough to machine guns for D, or I'll have rifling on offense. Plus, I like delaying grenadiers so I can build macemen and upgrade them immediately to rifles.

20. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

On that list? Ironclads. I'd have voted for the explorer if available, since it sucks so utterly even at its own role (at least spies can pop guarded huts).

I could see ironclads being used to blockade or annoy someone who can be reached via coast. However, it's still easily the worst unit on the list.

Someone picked nukes as a joke.