Lebensraum - Hitler's observation about America

Dida

YHWH
From Wikipedia:

The Nazis supported territorial expansionism to gain Lebensraum as being a law of nature for all healthy and vigorous peoples of superior races to displace people of inferior races; The Nazi regime invoked a variety of precedents to justify the pursuit of Lebensraum.[7] One was invoking the precedent of the United States.[5] Hitler declared that the size of European states was "absurdly small in comparison to their weight of colonies, foreign trade, etc.," which he contrasted to "the American Union which possesses at its base its own continent and touches the rest of the earth only with its summit."[5] Hitler noted that the colonization of the continental United States by Nordic peoples of Europe that had a large internal market, material reproduction, and fertile biological reproduction, provided the closest model to that of Lebensraum.[5]

This sounds like a highly accurate description of America and how it became a great power. This nation's founding was largely based upon the wholesale extermination of an entire race of people and the repopulation of their land by "superior" Nordic people. This is not to mention, the wholesale enslavement and continued oppression of another race, deemed to be "inferior".

I thought the lack of Native resistance to European infectious diseases was more significant. Doesn't it deserve a mention?

And this lack of resistance wasn't due to being less healthy or vigorous, but because the Native immune system simply hadn't encountered the infections before.

Still, I expect I've got it wrong. Yet again. I do that a lot.

I thought the lack of Native resistance to European infectious diseases was more significant. Doesn't it deserve a mention?

And this lack of resistance wasn't due to being less healthy or vigorous, but because the Native immune system simply hadn't encountered the infections before.

Still, I expect I've got it wrong. Yet again. I do that a lot.
Yes, it does... but the point is clearly to bash America for things that happened in no one alive's lifespan for something that we pretty much universally agree was wrong.
This is clearly a cheap shot thread because he doesn't even post a question... just wanted to be a negative ninny.

Next week, on "Cheap Shots", the Spaniards get pointed out for killing native populations to bring in my docile African slaves in numerous places of S and C America!

It is amazingly hard to effectively and deliberately commit genocide. The Nazis tried really hard to do so, and barely made a dent on the global population. Even Jewish global numbers recovered very quickly. Unless I'm mistaken quite.

Infectious diseases, now, can have a significant effect. And no one has to even try. Just turn up on someone's doorstep. With a smile and some rattly beads.

Not to mention, citing Hitler as your historical source is a pretty weak basis for a statement...
He wasn't the best historian.

Native Americans were far less numerous in comparison to WASPs than Slavs were to Germans. In fact, Slavs constituted a distinct majority in the Greater German Reich.

I guess you're right. I'm not sure how significant that is, though.

From the 16th through the 19th centuries, the population of Indians sharply declined.[35] Most mainstream scholars believe that, among the various contributing factors,[36] Epidemic disease was the overwhelming cause of the population decline of the American natives because of their lack of immunity to new diseases brought from Europe.[37][38][39][40] It is difficult to estimate the number of Native Americans living in what is today the United States of America.[41] Estimates range from a low of 2.1 million to a high of 18 million (Dobyns 1983).[3][4][42][43] By 1800, the Native population of the present-day United States had declined to approximately 600,000, and only 250,000 Native Americans remained in the 1890s.[44] Chicken pox and measles, endemic but rarely fatal among Europeans (long after being introduced from Asia), often proved deadly to Native Americans.[45][46][47][48] In the 100 years following the arrival of the Spanish to the Americas, large disease epidemics depopulated large parts of the eastern United States in the 15th century.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_Americans_in_the_United_States#Historical_population

Ooh, look. Chicken pox and measles. Is that German measles?

Didnt Hitler another time claim the US was no threat because it had no racial identity? he just blabbered whatever delusion fit his argument at a given time, he would have been good on message boards.

Yes, this thread doesn't deserve to continue it's life... I hope a moderator will genocide it.

Germanic people came from Scandinavia? Did they? Isn't that largely a myth?

I mean, I know Scandinavians are considered to be Germanic, but that doesn't mean that Scandinavia was the origin of them all, does it? I'd have thought the reverse is more likely to be true. Just looking at a map. And where people migrated from.

Native Americans were far less numerous in comparison to WASPs than Slavs were to Germans. In fact, Slavs constituted a distinct majority in the Greater German Reich.

Define Greater German Reich. "Großdeutschland", as in, the areas that were actually considered part of Germany by the Nazis themselves and not just land that was occupied at that point with the possibility of later annexion, most certainly didn't have slavs as majority. In fact, they were a rather small minority.

The only area that had a remote chance of being part of Großdeutschland a short time after the war would have been won (short here meaning some years) were the Baltic states. Those wouldn't have been enough to make slavs come even near the number of Germans in the country.

If you count all land they could have possibly taken or wanted to take, then yes, it could very much be possible for more Slavs to be in the country than Germans. Though that would depend on how much longer industrial killing could have gone on, how many people would have starved to death, and how many would have been expelled/fled.

Germanic people came from Scandinavia? Did they? Isn't that largely a myth?

I mean, I know Scandinavians are considered to be Germanic, but that doesn't mean that Scandinavia was the origin of them all, does it? I'd have thought the reverse is more likely to be true. Just looking at a map. And where people migrated from.

*shrug*, I'm no expert, but that's what my collection of historical maps tells me.

Even if it isn't true, my point is that it could have been what Hitler himself believed when he said what he said.

I actually seem to recall that Hitler was a big fan of German "wild west" novels. It seems a little ironic considering that, in the west, German immigrants were themselves often subject to ethnic cleansing by local Americans.

I remember that. I can imagine him being a fan of Country and Western music, too. Ah, AH how I miss him! That crazy mixed-up little Austrian with his Charlie Chaplin moustache. And what a sense of humour!

*shrug*, I'm no expert, but that's what my collection of historical maps tells me.

Even if it isn't true, my point is that it could have been what Hitler himself believed when he said what he said.

I asked about it because the OP claims that Hitler's summary on American history is accurate and used "nordic" to describe Americans which seems a bid odd, as if he believe's Hitler's notion of "nordic" is a real thing. Though it was probably just poorly worded.

Top Bottom