1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

LED Lights and Augmented Vision

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by salty mud, Sep 6, 2011.

1. salty mud

salty mud Ey-up

Could this be the coolest technological advancement known to mankind? I imagine it will be a major shock to the system for us "old-breeds..." I mean, having TV projected directly into your eyeball? Green LEDs haven't quite been figured out yet, but the boffins are currently working on implementing them in contact lenses also. Then, full colour display will be possible.

2. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

I imagine that you'd have to dedicate a wall in your house to look at when viewing pictures or video. Otherwise it'd look like a projection TV projecting on random surfaces, no?

Would be amazing to have such contacts web enabled though.

3. uppi

uppi Chieftain

How is this even supposed to work? The eye acts as a lens, so images on a contact lens would not be sharp at all. You can easily see this, while wearing glasses: You don't see all the dust particles on your glasses unless you take them off and hold them at a distance. So a normal image on a contact lens would just result in some blurry light on your retina.

If the focus of the eye is close to infinity, then one could use a Fourier transform of the image and display that on the contact lens. But this would also become blurry if the focus of the eye shifts. So a device that would work no matter what you're looking at would have to constantly measure the focus of your eye and reshape the image accordingly. But this would require quite some computational power.

Which brings me to the next problem: How is this device supposed to be supplied with data and power? Cables in the eye sound quite uncomfortable.

Does anyone have more information on how they want to solve these? To me getting an acceptable image that works in everyday life seems extremely hard.

4. mdwh

mdwh Chieftain

I think another problem would be that we only have high quality vision in a very small region (at the fovea). It's impossible to do things like read text that is outside of this region. We don't notice this most the time, because our eyes continuously move at anything that we want to look at - but you couldn't do this with something on a contact lense.

So you have the problem that whatever's being shown will always be fixed in your field of view - unlike a TV, monitor, phone, you can't look at different parts, because the image would surely move with your eyes. I guess you could get round this if it somehow detected the position of your eye, and changed what was being displayed accordingly, giving the illusion that you can look at different parts of the image. But it's not as simple as simply sticking something in your field of vision.