1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Left 4 Dead 2 Boycott

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by Captain2, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Captain2

Captain2 ಠ_ృ

My original response was more of a case of "what the hell?" but now that I think of it I tend to agree, with a sequel en route I don't see any additional content arriving for the original. I love the game but I've always been content with the feeling that more stuff would be coming, Knowing that this is likely it I just get a sense that this isn't a complete game.

What do you think?

2. CustodianV131

CustodianV131 Prince

Never played it and never will because I don't like the subject matter.

Don't see why Valve can't bring out a sequel though. From what I heard in podcasts they brought out more free content in the form of accepted maps ect then most other companies ever deliver already.

Plus you can always wait for the ineveiable sale or blue/green/red box edition to get it cheap.

Voting with your wallet is a very valid method, don't see the point of getting all worked up about it though.

3. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Night Elven Ghost Agent

Versailles City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    I agree that its a bit too early for L4D2 (It would have been more appropreate to have the sequal come out in two-three years from now). Though its nonsense to go up in arms.

I'm planning to buy L4D2 when it comes out.

4. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

Partly because I can't afford nor will I have time to play it when it coems out, there will be the inevitable rediculously cheap sale at some point.

As for the content already given to L4D, the survival maps are nice, but only 1 is actually new, the rest are somewhat-changed old maps, some rather lazily so. I prefer the campaigns, but the current 4 are rather boring now. They have been very slow with releasing the SDK too.

Hopefully they will offer a discount to current owners of L4D, even if they do put in more content than they have announced.

5. Kan' Sharuminar

Kan' Sharuminar Fluffy

Yeah, definitely far too early a release, I'm disappointed. I'm hardly going to boycott the game, but I'm not buying it when it's first released :(

6. tycoonist

tycoonist Deity

yeah, i totally agree with this article. from what i've seen they just have met the promises for more content with the release of a new game, which is about the same as the old. and they expect me to pay more money for it?

7. Kozmos

Kozmos Jew Detective

Hell I still dont have the first because I thought the content was insufficient to warrant the 50$ price tag.

8. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

I'm confused. I though L4D2 would just be an expansion. What evidence is there that L4D2 won't just be L4D with new maps, weapons, and some minor engine tweaks? So L4D1 is going to be obsolete already?

If the gameplay improvements are just a couple of weapons upgrades and a graphic overhaul, I probably won't pick up L4D2 until it's a bargain seller anyways.

If this won't affect L4D1's SDK going fully public, then I doubt it will be such a big deal. Modding communities last years after a game is out.

9. steviejay

steviejay Now in Black and White!!

As someone who only has it for the 360 and as such tend to miss out on all the good new content, what sort of stuff is there out for it on the PC that isn't on the 360 version and would it justify buying it again?

10. Maniacal

Well VALVe said that all the L4D1 content will work in L4D2, or at least it iwll be able to be ported over, probably with minor changes (VALVe either lives up or fails to live up to it's promises).

11. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

The cynic in me looks at this and thinks that it's awful easy to boycott something that isn't out yet...

12. JtheJackal

JtheJackal Emperor

The boycott is absolutely absurd and has no reason to exist. It is disappointing that a thread was created on this instead of the great looking Left 4 Dead 2. The game is improving and adding more of what I liked about the first game and zombie movies in general, plus placing it in unusual game locations. It is an absolute shame so much unjustified anger is put to a great looking game.

13. Captain2

Captain2 ಠ_ృ

The Boycott is entirely acceptable and has every reason to exist (I'll show you my full arguement if you show me yours).

While I myself do not intend to Boycott, I see those who do as having quite reasonable grievences. Of course I'll take it out on them by only paying $10 during a sale or something

14. Maniacal

The boycott is a way to get VALVe's attention and have them address a number of concerns amongst L4D fans about L4D2.

15. tycoonist

tycoonist Deity

will the valve employee please stand up?

16. Civfan333

Civfan333 full metal alchemist

QFT.........I'm pretty sure around 50% of the people saying they won't buy this game will end up buying it within 6 months of release.......

17. JtheJackal

JtheJackal Emperor

Which are? Paying for a game with more content than the original? All I've seen is people who want free things. Or is this game being made with child labor or some other serious issue a boycott is meant to address?

18. Maniacal

So far it looks like the game is merely a slightly improved and astheticaly-changed versino of the first game, generaly people do not want to buy the same or very-very-similar game twice.

VALVe loves sales, and last year there was a massive sale post-christmas (and some sales before).

EDIT:
    http://www.gossipgamers.com/valve-defends-left-4-dead-2-release-among-20000-member-boycott/

*I think he means L4D2 in the last sentance, although I could care less about rehashed survival maps from the campaigns and versus.

EDIT: 22,569 Members

19. tycoonist

tycoonist Deity

well, i know for sure i won't be buying it. the first one was fun, but not long. and as far as i can tell this is much of the same story. so i won't be spending £29.99 on it.

20. Kan' Sharuminar

Kan' Sharuminar Fluffy

I don't doubt it. I certainly will, but not at full price and probably in one of the sales which, as PS suggested, will happen not long after the release.

How much more content than the original?

I love Valve, and I'm hardly opposed to the idea of a franchise that has yearly releases with marginal changes (I own every Football Manager from 2005 onwards). I just like to know ahead of time that it's going to be this way :/