Legacy Of Erebus: The Rebirth

lemonjelly

Modding For Ethne
Legacy Of Erebus: The Rebirth

--Codex Etta
No negative comments about another's story.
The GM's decision is final, but I will try to be unbiased.
No instant-win stories. A complete domination is very boring. Give your opponent a good showing.
Original ideas are good, as long as they are fitting for the civilization(s) they affect.
Respect the story lines of other users. If another user has a storyline involving your civ, say a battle, work with that user to decide who you truly think would win that battle.
Be respectful.
Have fun!

"It is said, before the days of this age, there was a time where a mighty empire stretched from coast to coast, uniting all of mankind in one glorious golden age. Then the clouds rained fire, and the very earth froze.

But, out of our mighty tribe, we have killed the god of Ice, and sun returns to the shores of Erebus!"

--Player List
Civilization Leaders
Amurites - lemonjelly
Balseraphs - ornom0n
Elohim - Elder Methyl

Characters
Aleph the Wanderer - Zugvogel
Lialei - lemonjelly

If your interested in taking part, wait until I'm on #erebus, or PM me :)
[more civs can be added]

And I looked up, at the tall mountains, which had sheltered us from the worst of the Age. After the fall of Mulcarn, the world shifted, we became nomads, taking refuge wherever we could, but now we've found a place where the Amurite tribe can take root and prosper.

Our grandparents had chose this spot because, here, the earth sung. Some say that it was madness, but on a still day, without any wind, you could hear it, the song, coming down from the mountains. And, I was going to find what it was! We had calculated that it isn't too far up, probably emanating from Kylorin's Ridge.

A couple days had passed, and I'm ready now, I have my tools, a little rod of Fire Mana, passed down through the generations, and my backpack, full of food, and parchment, for I intended making notes of whatever was up there.

I walked to the end of the village, where Thalina was waiting. She was a summer older than me, and rather good-looking, if a little temperamental.

After we cleared the bushgrowth at the first couple of yards, we stumbled across a crude path, which made the next leg of the journey easier. And, I realized, there was something to the old tales, for the higher we climbed, the louder, clearer, and more beautiful the song became.

Days, weeks passed, but it seemed like eternity. We climbed endlessly, and the song got louder, clearer, but it seemed to be coming from ourselves, instead of the earth, for when I got close to Thalina, I sensed her song, a different tune, but still unmistakeably the same wild, unerebusian instruments. And, one day, as the sun rose out of the mists, it sparkled across the rock, and disappeared for a moment behind a cloud, but another light shone out. We approached the source, and when the mist vanished in front of us, we saw a dull rock, jagged, pieces jutting out in every angle. We got closer, and the closer we got, the louder the song became, and, I took my glove off, and went to touch it, to see what it was, but Thalina grabbed my hand. "We both do it together, or not at all, it could be dangerous." So, we both reached out together, and as my skin touched the firm rock, I felt a surge of energy fly through me, and I couldn't let go, even if I wanted to. It felt wild, and I felt something ancient stir in my blood, lighting up my vision, like this was the first time I had ever opened my eyes, but there was more, I could hear the song, both mine and Thalina's, but it had changed, the wild beating had settled down into a constant, thrilling rhythm, fixating itself in every particle of my existence. And, I felt the rock underneath, a pulsating rhythm, I felt it, and some part of me shone out, a feeling I had never felt before, and I chased some of my new-found energy out into the rock, I felt it shudder, and, we both stood back together. The dullness of the rock seemed to fade, to shake the ground, a burst of light, then where the rock was, there was a magnificent bunch of crystals, shining and glittering in the sun, throwing beams of light onto the rock face. The cliff was full of an aura, and the mist was illuminated with waves of purple, blue, pink, all light, pale, like the whiteness of the crystal itself. And I saw the power ebb and flow, in a complex pattern known only to the Gods.

I pulled the little crystal of Fire Mana out of my back, and held it in my hands. It felt different now, powerful, like the legends said it should be. But, there was something else, and as I looked up, I realised what it was. This little shard was the same material as the massive crystal, but subtly different. Where the fire in my crystal now seemed awake, but violent, destructive, a wild fusion of emotion and hatred, this massive crystal had a soothing, calming feel, but one tinged with sorrow as well. It was raw, powerful, and it brought back memories, both happy and sad.

On the second day next to the crystal, while we were looking through the ancient scrolls, I saw a droplet fall on the rock beneath Thalina. At first I thought it was rain, then I realized that it was a single tear. I went over to her, comforted her, consoling her, I felt a part of her open up to me inside my mind, and memories, pictures flashed in front of my eyes. Her mother, a beautiful women, crying with laughter as she took her first steps, her first words, and, then, the years passed, and, finally, the memory shifted, becoming dark, stormy, and I saw the Doviello come and drag her mother away, a terrible scream, then nothing. We sat there and cried, for all the lives that had been lost these past centuries. A dove came and landed next to us, but I could tell it was no ordinary being, and as we looked up, in the Dove's place stood a beautiful woman, the women out of Thalina's memories, her mother. I shied back, as she stood up and embraced her lost kin. I felt some words, some heavy, ancient words, full with power, and then she faded away. Thalina looked at me, her eyes raw with hurt, but she blinked, wiped them, and hugged me. "She is with Sirona now, she's happy."

Filling up the necessity

((OOC: This has now been retconned to a flash-forward several decades in the future.))

"The coming conflict will need your strength, in arms as well as wisdom." The Devout said to the General.

"You Elohim never seemed to care about strength of arms before, from what I've seen." Lord Commander Constans was seemingly alone in his tent, meditating on battlefield tactics in the middle of the night. It was a good time for clandestine meetings, as his men had begun to grow unwatchful as they grew accustomed to garrison life. He would correct that later.

"A mistaken assumption. We forced the Infernals to completely surrender to us, didn't we?."

"Only temporarily, and can you consider your Leader's wife a suitable price?"

"You know very well that continued war would only have profited others, and that those others may not nescessarily have our best interests at heart. Besides, new intellegence has arrived that says the Infernals may not be at fault, but some third force, one with their own interests."

"If you spoke those words to some other Commander, your assumptions would be regarded as mere dissembling, an attempt to cover for your own weakness. But I suspect. I continue to suspect even when anyone else would have been satisfied with what his eyes see, what his ears hear. I learned pragmatism in the forging of our city, as well as obedience."

"That pragmatism is one of the reasons we need you. A new world is coming, and we desire success in it as much as you do. Your king has competent commanders aplenty to do his will, and he can surely live long enough to see another as pragmatic as you born."

"Hmm. I'll think about it. How much freedom of action will I have as a commander of your armies?"

"You are to be given as much freedom of action as if you were Enion or Ethne herself."

The Lord Commander's eyebrow rose up in surprise. "So I am to be a third leader. Enion for the Spiritual, Ethne for the Civilian and Cultural, and I for the Military."

"We needed that slot filled. In truth, we had several other candidates,some from our nation, some from others. You were just one of the more obscure, as you come from a 'Pagan' state."

"Very well. But I'll ask for my king's blessing first. I am not so ungreatful as to leave his service without asking. Then, I ride towards the beautiful lands of the Elohim, towards the famous Archives where great knowledge from the Age of Magic resides. My freedom includes unrestricted access to them, yes?"

"Lord-Commander, Ethne herself personally insisted on the first accepting General having that as a prize."

((OOC: Flash-forward ended. Future stories will take place in their proper timeline.))

The pupil becomes the master
Spoiler :
A warm breeze flew into Perpentach's home, which for now was a cavern. This simple event triggered a great number of memories of all the people in Perpentach's mind. They all came at the same time. All of them had something to do with summer, which was strange, since it was freezing outside... Or was it? He ran outside. Ice was melting away. Something had been done to the god of ice.
This was a begining of a new age, the return of prosperity of past. All the minds in his head thought the same. Years of living in a dark cavern were going to be over as more and more of the ice waned. This was the day Perpentach had dreamed of for all his time spent hiding from Kylorin and the Illians.
Weeks passed as He watched the melting snow. Soon after that it became possible to move out of the cave and start building a settlement. Perpentach hadn't lived alone in the cave, the people he had taken controll of to get out of Kylorin's prison and their descentands were there with him. Still under strong influence of Perpentach, they started building first a humble palace for him and then houses for themselves. They were also taught the basics of agriculture Perpentach knew. This would form a basement to his future empire. In an impressive ceremony for a tribal civilization, this settlement was named as Jubilee.

The founding of Cahir Abbey.

((OOC: Here we go. A story set in it's proper place in the timeline.))

Gariel the Strong*, leader of the Elohim tribe (not to be confused with the Elohim order that they sheltered) worked with his people in the construction of the first above-ground settlement since the Age of Ice. He had known that this day would come, having heard rumors of the Amurites, and their war against the Illians and the Doviello. The tales of their king, Kylorin, and his quest for the three pieces of the Godslayer had spread far and wide, and he and his people had been quietly preparing for the inevitable thaw, reviewing what scriptures the order had managed to save from marauders and the Ice.

He was glad that their hope was not unfounded. Now, they could finally begin the work of founding a true city, a safe place for their children and grandchildren to live. A place where they can slowly prosper, while working on recovering the advancements of the past. He could see it now...

Temples dedicated to the good gods, soaring up to the heavens. Schools and libraries to teach the knowledge of the past and present for their children. Ships that would sail the seas, trading for valuable supplies with which to fuel the city's growth. A civilization that would be the glory of-

"Gariel, it's time for the ceremony." Enion Logos, the leader of the Elohim order and his close friend said.

"Is it really necessary?"

"Yes. The Elders have decided on it. This is a new age, and we need a King, not just a chieftain. A King to serve as a symbol for our people, and the other nations that must be forming on the lands beyond the sea. You might find it distasteful, but rest assured, this will be a stage that our people will outgrow in one or two generations."

"If we're lucky. Fine, I'll go."

"Good. After the ceremony, I'll talk to you about the succession."

"But I'm not married yet!"

"Which is why I have to talk to you about the succesion. You've been fancying that blonde-haired girl for some time now, haven't you?"

Gariel sighed and looked up the sky.

((OOC: *Ethne's father, a canon character mentioned on the Elohim pedia entry. I tought I'd make use of him for a while, as I'd written myself into a corner in my first post. Also, Enion's younger here, and has only acquired some of the wisdom of his elder years.))

And she looked out across the bitter landscape, her people running around beneath her. Bah, what did they know of suffering?

To see everybody and everything you've ever loved wither and die, that's suffering. To search every inch of this world for a way to end your life, and return, as healthy as ever, THAT'S SUFFERING!

She cried out, the sound getting echoed and distorted by the rocks around her, and watched as a dark cloud gathered around in the skies above. If only there was a way out, but she knew that there wasn't. Millenia of searching had shown that the God's only perfect plan was her immortality!

Feeling the electricity in the air, she started breathing deeply, sitting cross-legged on the cold, hard rock, and the clouds parted, letting the sunlight shine through.

And, I thought to myself, this is going to be harder than I expected.

Journey to the North - The hero they deserve I
A tribute to A. Sapkowski's The Witcher

Spoiler :
It would later be said that the man came from the southeast, through the ropemaker’s gate in the newly erected palisade. The man made his way straight through the mud-packed, narrow streets of the young settlement. He occasionally looked left and right at the crudely fashioned wooden longhouses that abutted the main street. The man was conspicious. Once, the stranger stopped at a market stall that sold fresh mushrooms and even some of the newly discovered and insanely expensive round objects called “fruits”. A huntsmen had discovered the “apples” two days west of the city in a grove and they were the villages full pride. No other dwelling anywhere close had such marvellous a gift.
Hence, the shop-owner was more than hesitating to sell his precious goods to a random foreigner, least of all to one as shady as the stranger. The vendor thus named a price even more astronomical than the regular one and the wanderer continued his way. The clerk sighed with relief. He noticed only a dozen minutes later that not only two of his valuable apples, but also several mushrooms and a small piece of flat-bread had gone missing.

The wanderer began to eat while walking as soon as he was out of side. The fruits were a little bit sour, but they went well with the spicy mushrooms. The flat-bread was a bit dry. He decided that he would “honour” a different shop next time. Provided there would be a next time. However, he now needed something to wash down his meal. Water would be fine. Ale or wine would be better. And indeed the Lord of the road was kind, because soon after the man had made up his mind he stumbled upon what was probably the small towns only tavern. A crude symbol that was perhaps supposed to be a stag (though it might as well have been a boar, a wolf, a ram or a maiden revealing her sacred place) hung above the door. All in all, the place looked rather shabby. It suited the stranger well.

As he entered the door, all eyes in the murky halflight of the tavern turned towards the newcomer. Being a seasoned roadman, the stranger payed it not even a shrug. He was accustomed to it. What did surprise him was the number of patrons in the inn. There were to many customers both for the time of day and the size of the town as a whole. Besides, most of the men and women in the place did not look like your average sods, drinkers and barflies that frequented a tavern at such an hour. They seemed more like huntsmen, farmers, dweller of wood and wilderness. Their was fear, anxiety and misery on their faces and the stranger might have been a valve for it but surely he wasn’t the source. The stranger decided that their fretfulness was not his problem and made his way to the bar.
The innkeep, a man as broad as the barrels he kept his goods hin and with brown hair and a likewise colloured mustache looked at him with open disdain. His eyes wandered over the stranger, top to bottom, bottom to top.
They passed the stranger’s braided hair, each of the many shoulderlong braids dyed alternatingly either in charcoal-black and sandish blond (which probably was the strangers natural collour, for his badly shaved cheeks displayed the same tint.) They looked into the newcomers eyes, one blue like a cloudless winter morning (of which the past decades had seen an inummerable amount of) and one pale green. The man might have been what the rumours called a Balseraph, one of the mad people. But the man’s face was not painted and he seemed sinister, but not insane. And further the innkeeps eyes went.
They saw shallow cheeks. They saw a sinewy, muscular body in a worn leather armour. They saw an amulet around the mans neck, displaying a winged horse. And they saw the holds of what must be two blades, strapped to the man’s back. A strange way to wear a sword, slung over the shoulder like a bow. But fitting for a strange person. However, the presence of arms decided it for the innkeep: This stranger meant trouble, best to get rid off him right now.
“A beer, please.” Said the stranger. He spoke with a foreign accent. The barman slammed a half-filled mug on the counter. “Drink up and get out. We do not like your kind here. This is honest folk here, in Foxford.*”
The stranger looked at the barmen in mocking surprise. “I will leave when it suits me, dear man. In fact, I intended to stay for the night in your place.” He threw a lustful look at a tavernmaid, probably the innkeep’s daughter. The girl blushed and looked away much too fast not to be interested. “It seems to have it’s...pretty sides.”

Right after the stranger had said that, a heavy hand slammed on his shoulder. “You have heard Tareg Tavernkeep. Finish your drink and get out.” The hand and the voice belonged to a bear of a man, probably a lumberman. At least the large axe he carried seemed to indicate that. Behind him stood two more woodsmen, probably his younger brothers or cousins.
Then the woodsman’s hand darted out and swooped down the mug that had still stood on the counter. “So, your beer is finished. Now leave.” But the stranger did not move.

*Yeah, Foxford. The Foxford. Just wait and see. Don't worry, it won't be to significant.

Fishing

In the end, the ceremony was not as stressful as he imagined. His new clothes, though richer and more colorful than what the rest of his people wore, were not the travesties of ermine and gemstones that he had expected (Enion mention that his order did keep some in store in the caves, but he had insisted on keeping them there). The crown and scepter he had been presented with were made of precious metals, but he could see that their maker had gone for beauty and simplicity instead of simple grandeur. The prayers to Sirona, Lugus, Nantosuelta and the other good gods were long, but they were original ones, composed in anticipation of the new era.

And best of all, after the ceremony, the blonde-haird girl he had been infatuated with actually talked to him, akshing him how he felt. She was a healer named Anna*, one of the pupils of Enion's predecessor, who had died several years before the thaw. he had replied honestly, saying that he was a bit relived that the ceremony was over. She had replied that stress was natural for any human, even a newly proclaimed king. But before they could continue their conversation into other matters, a crowd of well-wishers came in and seperated them.

He was still in a good mood, however. The weather was fair today, and he had been supervising the construction of new boats in preperation for such a day. Now, the first fishing fleet since the age of ice had departed farther out than they had ever gone before, and hopefully bring in food for his growing city. He smiled, and offered a prayer to Kilmorph, who despite being the goddess of the earth, was also the rewarder of men and women's hard work.

He waited for several hours, looking out at the coast for signs of his boats. Finally, he saw them arrive just before the afternoon came, with nets bulging with the bounty of the sea. He was tempted to run up to them, but remembered the obligations of his position and settled for a slow walk with his new retinue, several wise men and women tasked with helping him in his duties.

His nation will eat well tonight.

*No, she's not a canon character. And I'm not good at inventing new names.

Organized madness

Spoiler :
"My boy, you've been granted a special gift. Some may call it a curse or a disease but to me, I will always concider it as a blessing. You've been ment to do great things with this blessing. Remember it always, Perpentach." Kylorin's speech deeply affected young boy who had just been taken to his new master's palace.

"But this blessing you've been granted may yet turn out to be a curse, if you won't listen to my teachings carefully. I will teach you to controll your amazing talents of mind. With them, we'll create an empire that'll last to the end of our world."

Crystal clear memories vanished as Perpentach realised he was in his palace. Kylorin had done the right thing to teach him, but now Perpentach's abilities were at his limit.

From the begining of his city Perpentach had singlehandedly controlled his empire with his mind magic, but the number of his people were too great to be controlled with his mind.
The people were regaining their free will when Perpentach's influence couldn't reach them. Some even managed to leave the city when they had realised what was going on in Balseraph nation. This marked a begining of Balseraph immigrations. With their minds damaged from Perpentach's influence, they seeked refuge in other large settlements, most notably from Amurite Cevedes. Perpentach knew that he should have started raising some of his people to higher position to lead a portion of his people, but he just couldn't let go off his absolute power. No man can lead alone, no matter how powerful. He needed to act quickly as his show was crumbling before him.

During this time Balseraph culture and technology advanced slowly as the whole empire was adapting to the needs of a real empire, not just a imaginary one Perpentach had in mind. This was not to his liking, but there had to be some restrictions to his madness.

This did not put an end to the madness of Balseraphs. Now that madness didn't stir from just Perpentach's powerful mind magic, it started to come from the empire itself, from the govarnment and from parent to child.

Journey to the north - The hero they deserve II

Spoiler :
The big man’s fist shot forward again and grabbed the stranger at his cuirass of boiled leather. The man with the braided hair, however, reacted even fast. Like a bird of prey, his own left hand shot upward and pressed his attackers main against his breast. His right darted out and hit the woodcutter in his unprotected side. Then, the strangers sinewy body turned, carrying the much bigger but pain-shocked man with him. The strangers left food kicked against the attackers knee, bringing him further of balance and allowing the stranger to throw his heavy-set offender against the counter. It all happened in seconds.
Then the stranger spun round to face the other two who had already levelled their big axes and sought to hack him to pieces from two sides. The stranger drew one of his own swords, the left one. “You don’t have to do this.” he told them. But his response came in the shape of an axehead.
He took two steps forward to meet his attackers. Copper rang on copper, once, twice, thrice. The stranger managed to parry the blows of both woodsmen. He clearly was the superior fighter, a well-trained swordsmen. But eventually, not even the best warrior can hold of more than one foe and surely he would have been vanquished in time. But yet again, the Lord of Winds favoured the lonesome and his blade found a gap in the right woodcutters defence and drove deep into the man’s chest and heart. Dark lifeblood spilled on the filthy, sawdust-strawn floor. But the left man’s axe was already on its way and for sure, the stranger would never have had the time to rip free the blade that was so deeply buried between the dying man’s rips. Instead, the stranger grabbed his sword with both arms and put all his strength into it. In the very last instant, he lifted the entrapped body and used it as a meat-shield against the incoming axe. In the yet unharmed man’s eyes he read furry, shock...and then triumph.
He felt the reason for the latter instantly: A fist against the back of his skull that knocked him of his feet, forced him to let go of his sword and send him flying over a row of benches. It had been delivered by the bearman he had fought first.

His mind dazzled with pain, he tried to stand up again. He failed at first but succeeded in his second attempt. More or less. The room was dancing before the stranger’s eyes and he had to lean on the table he had just recently been thrown over. His mouth was filled by the bitter, iron taste of blood. He spit and indeed, even in the dim light of the tavern he could see that his spit was red. He probably had bit himself.
At least his eyes slowly came back into focus. Though what he saw was not good for him. Of his formerly three foes, one was dead and done but the other two, the bearman and one of his younger brothers were still there, armed and dangerous. Their eyes were not filled with xenophobial hatred anymore but with pure, raw anger and thirst for revenge. It was the dedicated bloodthirst of men who made a gamble, lost too much and then gained the upper hand again, being determined to press their advantage home once and for all.
And they had the upper hand, that much was for certain, for one simple reason: They still had weapons, whereas the stranger had lost his blade. It still stuck out of his fallen foes breast like a slim gravestone.
The stranger was without a weapon unless...unless he resorted to his last and most vicious tool. Still resting his right hand on the table, his left patted his back until he found the handle of his second sword...which wasn’t one. Laughter spread, first coming from the two opponents but it was taken over by the other patrons, those few who hadn’t fled the place the moment the violence erupted. For in the stranger’s hand was not another sword but only the faint remnant of it. A blade broken only half a hand under the guard. Or perhaps it was not broken, for the edges of it were much to smooth. But it was hardly more than a dagger in any case and no match at all for the woodcutter’s axes. Besides, it was hollow and could not possibly have the weight to cut anything harder than butter.
But then, something happened that had not been seen in this part of the world since the age of magic: Something supernatural. At first it was only a tingle in the air, but slowly but steadily the air in the room chilled as a gale from the north somehow found its way into the guestroom - and stayed there, always circling around the stranger.
And the bloodthirst in the woodcutter’s eyes turned into desperation. But only a naive fool would think that desperation and fear could weaken a man’s resolve, to make him turn and flee. The opposite is true: A desperate man is even more likely to attack.
And as if to prove that sentence, the bearman roared “Wizard! Black Magic! Werewolf!” and with that, like a madman he charged forward, his comrade right beside him.
The stranger, who had remained silent for all that time, just moved his “blade” once. From left to right it went, as in the symbolized motion of cutting a throat. And the wind suddenly was a hissing, wild animal and it drove into the charging men’s cervixes like a sword. A sword of wind. Yet again, fountains of blood were spilled. Two corpses tumbled to the floor. For a moment, there was silence in the room, in the entire village as it seemed. Then the high-pitched, wordless scream of woman broke it. The stranger reclaimed his second sword and then just waited for the town’s militia to arrive. When they came, at least a score of men, lead by a man that carried a large hammer and who probably was the village’s smith, all the strange said was: “I am Aleph Aish and I will come with you ot of my own, free will.”

A Marriage

In the following months, the city of Cahir grew. As the people became more accustomed to the surface world, the caves that were their old home were increasingly deserted except for Enion and his order. There were still scriptures from the Age of Magic stored there, and until a proper abbey can be built, they will have to stay in them. As for King Gariel, his romance with the healer Anna had progressed quickly; they had treated each other as equals during what time they had together, not seeing anything more to do than that. Finally, he had asked for her hand, and she had accepted.

As there was only the barest bones of an aristocracy in his growing civilization, there was no opposition to the marriage, and in fact it had been welcomed as a way to secure his dynasty. Now, his friend Enion was standing before him and his love, saying prayers to all the good gods with a smile on his face.

"Now, do you vow to stand beside one another as long as you live, whatever comes?"

"Yes," said he.

"Yes," his bride replied.

"Then you may kiss the bride."

He parted the veil and drew Anna close to him, their lips coming together. Truly, it was the best day in his life.

((OOC: I'm not good at writing weddings. I'm sorry if it's too abrupt.))

just letting you know, my computer has gone, hopefully I'll get a new one soon.
sorry, bye :)

Journey to the north - The hero they deserve III

Spoiler :
When they brought the stranger that called himself Aleph into the antechamber of the council of elders that apparently ruled Foxford, the foreign killer was watched by fifteen men, among them the smith that had led the troop that he ha first surrendered too.
The stranger made some attempts to talk with one or two of the militiamen, he even wolfwhistled after two girls sewing in an open window across the street. It was as if he was completely untouched by the violence he had been the center of. As if his only concern was his personal entertainment. He even had the nerve to pat one of the two only female militia-fighters on her butt. Fortunately for him and to the great anger of the woman whose face turned red with furry, the stranger spun away so fast that the insulted female’s payback-slap missed him and instead hit one of her comrades.
That ended all attempts both at conversation and retaliation, however.
Then, after another fifteen minutes in silence, broken only by the mocking yawns of the man called Aleph, the murderer was called into the main room of the council.
Inside, there was only one old man, a greybeard that must have been born back in the caves in the age of ice. The old man looked at the stranger. Probably he was accustomed to people bowing to him. But Aleph’s only response was a raised eyebrow.
“I had expected more of a council.” he said, further insulting the village elder by not even greeting him verbally.
“I am all the council that is needed for a rogue like you.” The old man grawled. There was some spit running from his upper lip.
“Leave me alone with him. All of you, out.” The militia trooped off, obviously more than happy to be away both from their elder and the bloodied stranger. Only the smith remained.
“I said “all”, Serfil Smithson”. The elder insisted. “Go. He won’t attack me and even if he did, you would be no match for him.” Shooting the stranger’s backskull another despiteous look, the man left.
“So”, the village elder turned to Aleph. “You are the foreigner that came into my town, went into the inn of the respected Tareg Tavernkeep and killed the three Greenwood brothers.”
“I did not kill them.” Aleph responded. His voice was strong, like that of a singer and there was a strange melody in it, as if the swordsman would be whistling a merry tune while speaking. “They killed themselves the moment they drew their weapons against me.” As he said that, he shrugged. It was sad and he regretted having to kill them, but obviously the stranger did not think it was his concern.
“I am sure you see it this way and I am sure the brother’s would disagree. Not to mention their parents, if they still lived. But since you were speaking of weapons: Show me yours.” the elder demanded.
The stranger had refused to surrender his swords and none of the militiamen had been bold enough to try and take them from him. But now, Aleph drew his swords, the long, heavy broadsword of copper and the bizzare, hollow dagger. The latter, it was now visible, was neither of copper nor of any other known material. It had to be old, from before the age of ice even. There were patterns of feathers engraved on both blades. The short one was furthermore marked by the figure of a dancing man on the guard.
The elder looked at that symbol for a long time. “I know this sign. The Lord of Winds. So you are not a servant of the dark ones as Serfil the Smith believes. But nor are you a good person.”
“I am neutral. That’s the word you are looking for, old man.” Aleph interrupted. He was getting bored again.
The elder made a throaty noise, one of annoyance. When the stranger did not take the hint and apologized, he resigned to fate and went on.
“A neutral man that can kill three men at once. Normally, you would hang for your murderous crimes. But the Greenwoods weren’t from Foxford either. They used to live in the woods half a day away. They have no living relatives that might demand revenge. Thus I don’t care much for their death. So I won’t hang you. But...you must atone for your sins, of course, servant of Tali. Even if your kind doesn’t do so normally. And since you already proved your lethality I have a task for you...”

At this, the Wanderer interrupted the elder.”Listen, I know what you will say. The answer is no. No, I won’t kill your Lord, your King, the robber Knight in the hills. Not the witch and not the mad mage. Not even the orcish Warlord and not the hill giant that eats your pigs. I may have shed blood, but I am not an assassin. I don’t murder in cold blood. You’ll have to solve your disagreements yourself.”

“But I don’t want you to kill a man, not even a sensitive being of any sort. I want you...to kill a ferocious beast. There is a reason the Greenwods were in Foxford like so many other foresters. The woods to the east...they are infested...by werewolves.”

The Militia escorted him away from the council-hall only a few minutes later. Ironically, they returned him to the exact same inn with the undefinable sign in which the fight had happened. Neither did Aleph want to go there nor did the tavernkeeper want him in his house. But apparently it was the only house prepared to accept guests in the entire crowded village. The tavernkeep, not daring to defy the elder, eventually gave in under the condition that Aleph would stay in his room for the rest of the night. And that he would not stay any longer. Which, as the militia assured the Landlord, was for certain since the swordsman’s services would not be needed anymore after tomorrow night. It was almost full moon.
Aleph settled in easily. He had not much to stow away anyway. The bed consisted of straw stuffed into rags. On the one hand a bed was a nice change to the nights on the ground under the stars. On the other hand, the dirt along the roadside was probably cleaner than the pillows.
But he did not intend to go to bed just now. He was still sticky with sweat - his own - and blood - thanks the Guardian of Dancers not his. Thus, he ordered a bucket of water brought to his room. It was probably the last thing the tavernkeeper wanted to do but Aleph really did not give a damn.
Because of this he was not surprised as his door was opened a few minutes later and a basin was carried in by the landlord. The basin was empty. It took yet some time until the door opened again. In came a woman, the same tavernmaid Aleph had stripped with his eyes earlier today. Once more he let his eyes flicker at the girls shapely bosom and her small behind. He almost did not hear the girl asking how much buckets of water he wanted her to put into the wooden basin. He named a number that was too little to fill the basin with just one man but would be fine for two. The girl realized that as well and blushed, asking whether Aleph was sure.
Aleph nodded, confirmed and when the girl commented that he would have a lot of room in that pool he bluntly asked her to come in with him then. It was perhaps the cheapest flirt in history, but it worked. For even though most women pretend to be disgusted by blood, gore and violence, in Aleph’s experience it could as well be an aphrodisiac. And that tavernmaid was one of that type. Even though her mouth said that it was inproper and that she had to go, her eyes told him she would stay...

I know it's cheap. So what? :p

Homeland, Part one

In the following months since his Marraige, King Gariel the Strong, leader of the Elohim, had been paying attention to his nation's role as defenders. He was encouraged in this by his friend Enion, who had rediscovered a scroll of lore detailing the sacred places of Erebus, and their divine mission to defend it. While they both desired the happiness of their people above all, they knew that if places of such power fell to evil, that happiness will soon come to nothing. Now, it was time to train their troops, to improve upon their knowledge of war, and to build fortifications for the time when the dark forces on Erebus shall come upon them.

"C'mon men! Learn to work together! Now, reform the square!" King Gariel now spent more time with the troops, using what knowledge he had of organized training to get them into shape to the trials to come.

"Focus your energy, young one, and strike." Enion Logos was also spending more time with the younger, more recent students, trying to test what knowledge of the Ancient Elohim Monks he had uncovered. While he cannot totally recreate their arts without a further degree of advancement, he hoped to recover enough of them to tide the Elohim through what crisis may arise.

As for Anna, she supervised the other healers, as well as the builders of the palisade and ditch that would surround the city and help its warriors protect it from outside incursion.

The fishermen that had been venturing out to sea offered their advice, as many of the places mentioned in the rediscovered scroll were most probably situated in the lands to the east. Already, there were contacts with other boats, whose crews spoke of a Divine Boy-King who had sent them west. King Gariel tought of sending an official expedition to the ruler, knowing that it would be good to have friends on the continent.

However, Erebus had many surprises for its nations, and the Elohim would not be an exception...

Next will come Homeland, Part two: The Night Assault

Edit: Typed in that last line, and changed '1' to 'one'.

Edit two: Changed 'the Psuedo-Monks' to 'The Night Assault'.

Journey to the north - The hero they deserve IV

Spoiler :
When the guards came to fetch him on the next morning, they found Aleph still in bed. Their knocking on the door was what woke him. His limbs were entwined with those of the tavernmaid. Kuri or Suri or Huri. Something like that was her name, he remembered in his still sleepy mind. She had told him at some point between the third or fourth time. He felt a little bit guilty that he had already forgotten the name. But then, the girl couldn’t deny that he had been busy with other things back then.
Now all he could do was to get up without waking her. He went to open the door - the guards apparently had heard him getting up and had stopped tapping - then stopped short, remembering that he was still nude. Less out of decency than out of habit he pulled on his smallclothes and trousers. That should be enough. Once more he turned towards the door but stopped yet again. He turned around and drew up the sheets of the maid, hiding her dormant white body. The events of the night probably would earn the girl quite a reputation anyways (if she hadn’t already got one. She certainly hadn’t been a virgin, Aleph could vow that much before any judge or god), but he didn’t intend to give the villagers even more to brag about.
And yet again he went towards the door, this time opening it without further delay. He found a full squat of militiamen in front of the door. Some of them were still green boys. Those did everything short of standing on their toes to get a glance past Aleph into the room. So rumour had already gone round. Well, to late to fix that. It was the girl’s decision and the girl’s problem in any case.
They were led once more by the smith. Apparently that man had nothing better to do than run around on errands for the elder all day. (Aleph learned during the day that it had been a month since the last merchant train had made it to Foxford. Thus there were no raw materials in the village anymore and the smith indeed had nothing better to do.)
The smith had raised his big fist to recommence knocking the very instant Aleph had opened the door. “Where I come from, they shake hands as a gesture of greeting, not raise fists. Wait a moment please.” mocked Aleph. He turned and went inside again to complete dressing but his ears were good enough to hear the smiths muttered reply. “The seven hells is where you come from.” Aleph ignored it.

He spent the day in the village, “escorted” by the militiamen. They went to shopowners who had lost their commerce. They went to people who had lost relatives and friends to the werewolf’s attacks. He had lunch with the family of the smith. Another order issued by the elder, which the smith grudgingly fulfilled. It was a short meal. The smith had a young wife and already four small children. They hadn’t got much to spare.
Afterwars, Aleph talked to priests - the villagers worshipped several gods Aleph had never even heard of but mostly they served Lughus, the god of the sun. Unsurprisingly, the elder was the high priest of that cult. And Aleph strongly doubted that the sungod would have recognised this version of his religion. The elder made every citizen confess everyday his “sins” to him. The elder heard their confessions. The elder determined their punishments. He supervised the punishments. Sometimes he punished some persons himself, especially young girls and boys. If a person had nothing to confess, the elder raged and yelled at that libertine and had him or her beaten up by the militia. For lying, he claimed. It was quite disgusting. Though what was even more revolting in Aleph’s eyes was that the villagers tolerated it. Each one eager to discredit his or her neighbours. Noone with the stomach to stand up. Aleph did not understand that. Even if one was alone and had no chance against the collective, there was always the road left as an option.
Six hours before sunset, after another short and unproductive talk with the elder, Aleph left Foxford towards the east, where the werewolves lair was suspected. He was accompanied by a double score of militiamen. Not to fight alongside him ,Aleph had insisted on that, claiming that he couldn’t combat with amateurs at his side. The militia had been so relieved to hear that thy wouldn’t have to battle the beasts, they hadn’t even complained about the way Aleph had called them. They were, as the elder had called it, there “to make sure he got to the lair”.
Three hours before dusk (Though dusk would come earlier today, there were heavy clouds blocking the light) they reached the beast’s lair: A dark ruin of a castle. It was a perfect rectangle, probably of Patrian origin. Ice, the thaw and centuries of neglect had not done it much good, though. There was a strong odour of wet fur and rotten meat coming from it.
“It is okay. I will wait here and strike when the beast comes out for the night.” Aleph said to the militiamen. “You don’t have to wait.”
The guards fidgeted around, uncertain what to do. Their order’s probably told them to make sure Aleph would fight. But the waning light and the prospect of a night in a werewolf-infected area frightened them visibly. Eventually, one of them just broke the spell by turning around without greeting or looking back and walking down the way to the village. The others followed him immediately.
Aleph waited until they were gone. He thought of the girl he had spend the night with. He thought of the people who had lost loved ones. He thought of the innocents in Foxford. He thought of the smith’s children. They all were probably lost, would die one after the other, night for night, if the beast wasn’t slain. He listened to the wind.
Then he began walking. Not towards the looming ruin. Towards north and west, in the direction of the setting sun.
The villagers would have to solve their problems themselves.

He spent the night undisturbed in a small cave, trusting the wind to warn him if the werewolf should follow him. He didn’t. Aleph woke only once. He thought he had heard a woman’s scream, far of behind the hills. But he couldn’t tell for sure whether he hadn’t just dreamed it. He turned around and slept on.
As he journeyed on the morrow and made his way through the wilderness on goat trails and dry rivulets, he found a singled-out statue on the top of a lonely hill. Around it was a thicket of brambles. From what he could decipher from the withered glyphs on the stone, the statue marked the grave of a champion from an age long past. A champion whose name had long since vanished from the stone and whose deeds were with all likelihood forgotten for an even longer time. Only the epitaph was still fully readable: ”Every time and every people gets the hero they deserve.”
The wind was warm. Yesterday's clouds had vanished and the sun was pleasant. The brambles were delicious.
Aleph praised Tali by whistling a happy tune as he went on his way...

This is the end of Aleph's adventures in Foxford. What happens to the village and the werewolves is up to you to decide - if you want. You may have noticed that the epitaph I used mirrors the title of these short stories. It is a modification of a sentence by Joseph de Maistre, a Savoyard philosopher of the 18th/early 19th century.
The original goes like this: "Toute nation a le gouvernement qu'elle mérite." which means "Every nation gets the government it deserves."

After the discovery of Mana, the people of Cevedes jumped into a new era, propelled by their knowledge of the arcane. They searched ancient scrolls, and eventually categorized them into four broad schools, Alteration, Divination, Elementalism and Necromancy. As more cities and settlements sprung up, a unified government was set up, with the High Council composing of elected leaders from the four schools.

"I was lucky to be passing through Cevedes at the time of the Lacuna, it's one of the grandest things I've ever seen. I went for a tour around the Ancient Circle, where the buildings are at their oldest and most in tune to the magics thick in Amurite air. There was one massive exhibit on, a room full of statues, flowers, paintings and music, each one impregnated with magic. After that I went for a walk in one of the gardens, and I watched as the trees shot up, and it transformed into a forest, then they faded, and we were standing on clouds, or inside one of the Patrian castles from the stories. There's only one fault with all this magic though, and that's the disruption, but, for a fee, some Adepts are willing to shield you from the majority of the influx, too bad I didn't have the money, I liked that enchantment."

Homeland, Part two: The Night Assault.

((OOC: You know what? Adding 'the Psuedo-Monks' to the title is just lame. I chose 'The Night Assault' instead.))

They came suddenly from the north, howling warcries to the Fallen Goddess. Their vanguard attempted to swarm over the newly completed palisade, only to be best by a barrage of stones and javelins from Gariel's newly trained watchmen. Shouts of alarm echoed out across the City, and the reserves, along with Enion's order, began to prepare for battle. King Gariel had already ran out from the palace, clad in bronze armour and wearing a cape of white. He held out a spear of iron, one of the few weapons they had of that metal.

"Come to me, Elohim! Defenders of the Holy Places, Guardians of Wisdom, and Protectors of the Weak! Come to me!"

His call was echoed by his men and women, who ran to the outskirts of the city, where the bravest and most foolhardy of the orcs had already chopped several holes in the Palisade. Their counterattack surprised the enemies, driving them back. But the Elohim troops did not pursue, not wishing to lose their defensive advantage. They drew back to the roads, forming into yet untested defensive formations. The neighboring houses stood on either side of them, turning their locations to choke points that if used right, would negate the orcs' advatage in numbers.

And negate them they did. The green tide crashed against the Elohim wall, and the formations were almost crushed. But the men and women were figthing for their homes, and slowly but steadily, they regained ground and stopped the orcish charge in its tracks. Several dozen of the defenders had been killed or wounded, but the rest showed no signs of breaking. Rather, they showed a determination to endure, to stand and fight until the days of peace returned.

"Endure, my brothers and sisters! Endure!"

---

On another street in another part of the town, Enion Logos saw his most promising students, Kideran* and Jared, bring down several orcs with swift, focused blows. They were helping several of Gariel's warriors guard the main line from being outflanked, and were doing so well. They were not true Monks yet, but they were close, close enough that their presence increased the morale of the nearby warriors, inspiring them with their courage and fortitude. While the battle was going to be hard, the chances of victory were not nonexistent, as long as he and Gariel were here.

An orc attempted to throw his torch into the dry roof of one of the houses, but Kideran jumped up and caught it before throwing it into an empty clay jar. Enion was glad that he had sent his other students to help King Gariel in his part of the battle, as well as watch the other parts of the city. This was going to be a hard fight. He then turned to where his healers had pulled out several wounded men and were tending to them, walking over to help. The Elohim will need to preserve their numbers to weather the tide.

---

The orcs had tried throwing torches into the roofs, but Enion's students and healers had come in time. The majority of the regular warriors were in this front, so their help was less needed at first. But now, his men and women had taken several losses, and the reinforcements were welcome. The enemy assault had faltered before the spirited defense, and it looked like they would last until dawn. The orcs realized it too, because a great champion, wielding a great stone axe, called for a halt.

"Let's end this, Human scum! Your men stand like a great rock against the sea, but you will not!"

Realizing that the champion had asked for a duel, Gariel replied:

"I wish to preserve life, not take it. But if you will leave if I win, then I accept your challenge."

"Your blood will be spilled out upon the ground, and it will be your men that will break!"

They closed in upon each other, and charged.

Edit: The next story will be called: Homeland, part three: Gariel the Strong.

Further Arcs will be:

The Pool of Tears (Enion at Foxford, Placeholder Title, Place holder title)

The Gardens of Splendor (Placeholder Title, Placeholder Title, Placeholder Title) Lemonjelly knows what will happen in this arc.

((OOC: *Brother Kideran is from the Monk pedia entry, where he's a Demon Hunter. I'm borrowing his name for this story. Jared, however, is an OC.))

Mistakes
Spoiler :
Tavern of Swimming Rabbit was crowded. Farmers and other workers had finished their daily chorses and now they had come to take the rest of day easy. A new crew of dancers had come to perform in tavern. Their spinny moves grabbed the attention of whole tavern and even the grumby barkeeper watched their dance while no one was ordering jellonjuice. The crowd cheered and commented their performance the whole time they danced.

"Go around! Go around and around and around! What fun! I'm so happy!"
"Come on! Show me your moves!"
"That one looks just like my sister's chicken!" A young man yelled, with a very serious look in his face.

They kept going on, talking to each other and to the dancers. The dancers never replied, they just kept on dancing.
This crew became founders of deadly and unique Balseraph ballet dancer, who with sharp blades "danced" their enemies to death, but they are not the heroes of this story, mere background.

One of the people was not watching the show. He was sitting just behind the crowd so that he wouldn't seem as mysterious and alone if he had sat in the shady corner.
He was scribbling vague thoughts on paper. He couldn't have done this in his study, because he couldn't concentrate in silence. Few Balseraphi can. The man was Jihuu Tachi, a member of recently founded Laughing Court. He made sure that his king's will was done.

In the court Jihuu and 20 other men discussed with their king, Perpentach about the recent events and what had to be done with them. But the major thing was that no one had the guts to disagree with what the king wanted, not after he had used his magic to the only woman in court who demanded more rights to the women. This would be their fate too if they'd disagree with him. Perpentach's demands had been reasonable, if a bit too focused on cosmetic appearance of his empire, but now he had issued an order that would weaken the empire critically if performed: the whole military was to be assigned to gardening.

The King had no doubt heard of the news from Amurite kingdom and their golden age, now he wanted one in his right away. With reports of orc raiders, this would cause mortal damage to the kingdom. Perpentach would not listen to the warnings, there was no hope of negotiating. What could be done? Disobeying the orders would result in lost sanity from King's mind magic. His daughter couldn't survive without him, nor his wife.

Jihuu kept scribbling on paper. He was thinking of a way to save his family and his homeland. In thought, he turned his face away from paper to the dancers. There it struct him. One of the dancers tripped and slammed her face on floor. The whole crowd laughed, but the dancer stood up and started to dance again, biting her cheek. In a few moments the laughter ceased and the thoughts of the crowd returned to dance. This made Jihuu think. What if Perpentach would be given his gardens so that he would see them everywhere he goes, but elsewhere none would be built? Soon he would forget the whole gardening. It is in his nature to get excited in a blink of an eye and then forget the whole thing. This could work. But there was one problem: where he could get his workforce? Perpentach had wanted military to work with gardengs, because the working class was already assigned with too much work.

The dancers bowed to the crowd and recaived cheers and applouds to bask in. Then they left. Jihuu took his chance, pushed through crowd to the spot where empty floor where the crew had danced.

"Hey everyone, have you seen how beautifull the forests are?"
"As beautifull as my Heluna the Cow!"
"Beauty like jellonjuice in my mouth!"
"You know, what if we'd plant forests like crops around our king's palace? Im sure he thinks highly of forests aswell. Perpentach would indeed be pleased."
Crowd was filled with silent mumbling. Some of them glared at Jihuu.
Then one with tight blue outfit and black mask on his face walked right beside Jihuu, near the door and looked at the crowd for a moment.
"Come on! Show me your moves!" He pointed at door and ran out to search seeds of trees and bushes. The rest followed.

Even though it was late, the people planted trees and bushes untill sunrise. Perpentach was pleased.

Jihuu did not join them. He went to home right after he saw them running. There, he was greeted by her teen daughter and wife.
"What took you so long? I was so worried that something had happend in court!" His wife yelled. Jihuu walked further in and sat on chair right next to dinner table. He didn't reply to his wife. "Well? What happend Jihuu?"
"Shut up woman and make a sandwich for me."

Journey to the North - Damsels of Erebus

Spoiler :
Standing on a cliff above a steep ridge, Aleph breathed in the chilly morning air. In the east, a red sun was barely rising over the gargantuan mountaintops that dominated the entire area. He had followed the foothills of this as far as he knew unnamed rangsince he had left Foxford a week ago. His journey had been uneventful ever after he had found the champion's tomb. No adventures, no great discoveries. It was beginning to get...boring. And it was getting colder every day. And despite this being a most annoying fact, Aleph was pleased by it. He was, afterall, not on a pleasure journey. The masters of his order had send him to these northern lands to find traces of one of the Windsword's old monasteries. And from what he had gathered, the place in question had been dedicated to the northwind, being placed on a mountaintop in an area where the ice never melt. Of course, for over a century all of Erebus – except a few hidden spots – had been under everlasting ice so this description was not really helpful. But wandering towards the north was the best thing he could do to find the place. And besides...he had hungered to get out of the Vale of Winds, the place where he had been born and raised, for as long as he could remember. So he really had got nothing at all against travelling into the unknown.

Reflecting upon this, Aleph began his morning routine of meditation and training. For a normal Foxman, a servant of Tali, a daily routine would be more than unusual, given the ephemeral nature of both the God and his believers. But windswords were different: Despite not being as disciplined as most other warriors, they still had a much more focussed mind than one would suspect from watching them. After all, it took a lot of patience and concentration to master the arts of raising the bladewind.
Balancing on one foot, the other one flexed and touching his tigh, Aleph felt the cold wind washing over his high lookout. He stood like this for one minute, two, three, until he lost track of time. Then, suddenly, he jumped into action. Literally. Fists and feet flailing, he went through a series of combinations, blows and dodges until his chest was covered in sweat. Only then did he pick up his sword.

When he had finished, the sun was fully up, warming the area and him. As he was collecting his gear for another day's worth of walking, a panicked shriek cut through the stillness of the morning.
The cry came from somewhere at the foot of the ridge. Slowly, Aleph rose to his feet. Normally, he tried not to interfere. It wasn't worth it in his experience. But the screaming voice had been female and Aleph knew he had a soft spot there. Or rather, it was a hard spot that caused the problem.
Looking over the gauge, he at first could not make out where the problem was. But then his eyes caught a movement on a small clearing almost directly at the foot of the ridge. He hadn't seen it while training because a big rock had blocked his view. Now he saw what was going on there:
A group of fice orcs stood there, holding a young, raven woman. On the ground lay a human male, an axe planted in his skull. While Aleph was watching, one orc forced the woman on her knees. The biggest orc stood before her. He lowered his fell trousers.

Rage awoke in Aleph. His moral compass was not black and white. It wasn't even shades of gray. But this thing, just now, really made him furious. Drawing both his sword and the much smaller “windsower”, a hollow sword the length of a dagger or a broken blade he used to channel the bladewind, he looked around. He had to get to the foot of the ridge and he had to be fast. Walking thus was obviously not an option. His eyes rested on the big boulder that had blocked his view. Yes, that would do. He sprinted towards the stone and jumped upon it. His speed and weight were enough to loose the rock and accompanied by an avalanche of dirt and stone, Aleph shot into the valley, riding the boulder.
The orcs of course heard his approach. But they were so stunned by the sight of a tall human on the top of a veritable dirt avalanche coming at them, they didn't even move. Probably the thought Aleph was one of their pagan gods come to life.
Which was all to Aleph (who by the way thus founded the tradition of rock riding which should become a famous sport among the mad and suicidal)'s liking, for it made the fight easier. One orc was killed by the rocks, another died impaled on Aleph's sword which the Austrin drove into the creatures breast with all the power of his approach. Another died, his throat cut. Only thereafter did the remaining two orcs react. One orc, the one holding the girl, let his victim go and grabbed a spear while the big orc turned around and freed the axe from the slain human's skull. Aleph looked at them with disdain. With the drunken woodsmen in Foxford he had been patient. He had not wanted to fight them and only because they had forced violence upon him they were now dead. But these beasts weren't worthy to breath the air of Lord Tali.
Then the spear-orc attacked him with a stab to his belly. Aleph dodged to the left and rolled under the long weapon as the orc drew it back to try again. But Aleph was faster and his sword severed the orcs hands. The creature screamed blinded by pain, but Aleph had no time to finish it of because the big orc slashed at him with his axe. Aleph was trapped in a way because the momentum of his onslaught against the spear-orc carried him forwards, straight upon the axe's edge. Out of instinct, his left hand holding the windsower shot forward. It was stabbing motion, not a clean cut like he had used it in Foxford. Hence, the result was totally different. It wasn't a clean blade of air that hit the orc but a blunt fist, one that lifted the orc of his feet and slammed him against a tree where he rested, impaled on a thick branch. A painful death, Aleph thought, but nothing less than the bastard deserved.
He turned around to look after the crippled orc but he didn't find what he expected. Instead of an injured beast waiting to be relieved from his pain there was only a broken, bleeding mass of raw meat and the woman, her hands raised. Several clubs were hovering in the air, moved by the magic radiating from the woman's palms.
“You don't look like a knight in a silver armour.” said the woman. “And you looked much more like a damsel in distress from afar.” replied Aleph...

Top Bottom