Legal music download options

wildWolverine

L'Etat, c'est moi
I am interested in downloading several songs (< 10) legally. I do not have an iPod, so I do not want to use Apple as a source. Also, this is a one time thing, and only involves a few songs, so I do not want to pay a monthly fee for download service. What are the best sites to download .mp3 (not .m4p) files, with a per-song fee? Preferred sites would have somewhat extensive collections, as the songs I would like to purchase are a bit eclectic. All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks...

I'm interested in seeing responses to this as well, so *bump*

Rhapsody?

I loaded a programme not to long a go that asked me if I wanted 50 free down loads on a trial offer. I think it was realplayer.

It is the .mp3 requirement that is going to be hard. Rhapsody is introducing them, but it is not the entire library by a long shot. Ditto iTunes. Not sure about Yahoo music. By the way, if you are wanting .mp3 format only, feel free to use iTunes. You can still sync to other players, can't you?

Amazon MP3 has them for $0.89 a song IRC.

A P2P is free and is legal depending on where you live.

What about Wal*mart?

@VRCW, iTunes uses mp4 as the default, I'm not sure if you can opt to buy in mp3. I know iTunes can play mp3.

They have started releasing some as mp3s. It's a small sample of their total library at this point, but they are there. I'll go find a screenshot real quick. It shows a smidge different in the list so you can tell whether it is an mp3 or mp4.

EDIT: See the ones with the + symbol in the price field? Those would be the mp3 downloads. Er, okay, bad screen shot. They do not always correspond with being ringtones.

I'll download them illegally and sell them to you.

Thanks for the info, people (including the bump, sourboy). After looking at a few of the suggested sites, I think that collectively, they have a pretty good library -- enough for my needs.

Amazon's downloads are DRM free. But, they don't have the selection.

@VRCW, iTunes uses mp4 as the default, I'm not sure if you can opt to buy in mp3. I know iTunes can play mp3.

a bit tedious, but all you have to do is buy the mp4s, burn them to a disk, and then upload them as mp3s.

Top Bottom