1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Legendary Culture Question...

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by trexeric, Apr 30, 2012.

1. trexeric

trexeric (or backwards 'cirexert')

What exactly is the amount of culture needed to achieve legendary culture? Thanks in advance.

2. duckstab

duckstab Child of Noble Family

It depends on game speed. I'm almost positive it's 50000 on Normal, 75000 on Epic. Don't know about the others.

3. GGracchus

GGracchus Tribune of Rome

I believe it's 150000 on marathon and 25000 on quick, in addition to the culture listed above.

4. trexeric

trexeric (or backwards 'cirexert')

Okay, thanks.

5. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

50000 for normal. quick is less than this. Slower speeds more points.

6. rah

rah Deity Supporter

500000???????

7. GGracchus

GGracchus Tribune of Rome

I would assume he means 50000 Rah.

8. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Someone had already posted the right answer of 50000, so posting 500000 could easily confuse someone. I don't want to have to assume the right answer when I ask a question here.

9. Manco Capac

Manco Capac Friday,13 June,I Collapse

@trexeric

50000 is for standard as 75000 is for epic with a 50% more :culture: from normal to epic just like the number of turns (500 to 750).

But notice quick speed is a special case where the percentage of culture doesn't make the same rate as the number of turns. Quick has 330 turns instead of 500 of normal speed. This around 67% of normal speed. But :culture: for legendary need 25000, which is 50% of normal speed, not the envisioned 67%.

So, if you want easier and earlier (as for the comparative dates) culture games, the quick speed lends to that practice.

10. gps

gps King

Well, this would be correct if the culture output for your three culture cities were available from turn 0 and on a constant level throughout the game. Which it isn't. If you have a look at HoF culture victories there's hardly an advantage for quick games. I'd say it's actually quite the contrary...

11. Manco Capac

Okay, I admit some other unbalances make the difference. For example the worker moves takes more turn and needs more micro to avoid inefficiencies that hurt even more than slower speeds. But quick culture empire is easier to defend as the invaders take more times to reach cities compared to units build rate for defense. Defense is quite important as much as diplo in hostile environments.

Yes, the dates are not that superb like the pros making pre-1000 AD dates, but it is not as worse as diplo (horrible unnatural unbalances here) or any military games date.

Quick games favor peaceful types of games where builds don't need a travel time like units.

12. gps

gps King

True, but also settler movement and city location reconnaisance is faster the slower the game runs. For me the most significant improvement when going from normal to epic speed was that I knew much better where to place my cities because it took much less 'game time' to explore. And I don't think the main issue is to keep your empire defended, but to get those three high quality culture cities up as soon as possible...

13. Manco Capac

And I forgot the improvement times are pretty bad on quick. Three turn chops and two turns roads; you've got to be kidding me, that's the same as normal speed! I've read it has to do for game balance (as quick speed games were balanced for multiplayer games I think), but still such unbalances reeks badly as much losses of turn onto forests or hills (unless being India and the hill has no forest on the top).

At one moment, we put the culture slider at 100% and science one at 0. We start to fall down and one starts to be backwards, especially on highest levels. So, fast gathering of units is making defense easier, especially if units are obsolete.