Legends Units

bigfatjonny

Warlord
Discussion about the best uses for the Legends units.

I've been playing a game on monarch (im average) and so far managed to get all of the Legeneds units, up to Kings Yeomancy.

Kings Yeomancy is great to use with a general because you can get super healer, H3 & Woodman 3, very easily because it starts with Heal & Woodman 1.

Other than that, I feel that the Legends are just too special to be throwing them against cities. I've lost two already even with 90%+ odds.
I did a nice lot of pillaging with the Horseman special, stacked with another couple of horse men and some backup, must have taken down 20 cottages/villages for several hundred gp.

So, what do you use them for?...

I tend not to really go for the earlier ones, but get most of the later ones (Hungarian Cannon and onward). I don't really use them for anything too special, though. I just kind of bunch them into my attack groups like a normal [albeit more powerful] unit. Then again, I kind of suck at the game (it's not uncommon for me to lose on Noble due to the Better AI mod).

I've found 300 Spartans is great for early defense if you play with Start as minors on, it can usually take care of all the early stacks that get thrown at you, and ends up with uber experience which can then be turned around and used for a late Swordsman Rush (since the old Axeman rush isn't really effective anymore).

I tend to use them as some sort of "heroic guerillas" or envoys, sending them into minor or enemy territory to pillage, capture workers, level up, attack new cities etc. I usually combine them with a GG to make them gain more experience via promotions.
When my SoD is ready, it meets the Legendary unit in the enemy territory and it grants it additional protection from possible counter-attack.

I have already managed to waste some small empires with a Legendary unit only, but I had to have superior technology too, so it was more like a finishing move without a need to create and move a large stack.

I quite like the Spartans - they can upgrade in the Drill line and already have Guerilla I, which makes them almost invincible when comminting various partisan activities in enemy territory :)

The Sacred Band is not that useful, because it gets quickly worn down without Drill. But it is a good city attacker and healer, performs better in stacks, while Spartans are more like solo players.

I seldom get the Legio X, but like it as the blitz makes it a fantastic countermeasure to early stacks rich on siege weapons. Many battering rams and catapults do not survive three subsequent flanking attacks.

Hungarian Cannon is a great siege weapon, I tend to create smaller, more elite stacks, and have problems with having enough siege weapons, as they are slow and vulnerable. The HC almost replaces the need of them in one stack if conquering smaller cities, and can also attack safely and decimate defenders if promoted as City Raider.

I do not use later units that much, as I have upgraded elites comparable to them at that time, so they are not that special. Not that they are bad, they just do not stand out like earlier ones. I also play on a notebook and have to play small maps because of performance, so I usually already have a huge lead after renaissance, as there is not enough room for a powerful competitor empire to arise on another side of the globe.

I've played two games so far where I had 300 spartans. I also had an axeman that I had gotten up to 10 exp. These two combined with a Ram I've been able to wipe out two civs and countless units. Seems kinda over powering. My 300 spartans is over 100 exp and my axeman is over 120 exp. Been able to achieve this twice pretty easily.

If I disable the Rev aspect of the mod, does the leaders whose traits are geared towards the Rev mod become unplayable? Drives me nuts not being able to expand in a big way without constant revolutions going on.

I've played two games so far where I had 300 spartans. I also had an axeman that I had gotten up to 10 exp. These two combined with a Ram I've been able to wipe out two civs and countless units. Seems kinda over powering. My 300 spartans is over 100 exp and my axeman is over 120 exp. Been able to achieve this twice pretty easily.

What level are you playing on?

If I disable the Rev aspect of the mod, does the leaders whose traits are geared towards the Rev mod become unplayable? Drives me nuts not being able to expand in a big way without constant revolutions going on.

I think theyre still playable. Just that their revolution ability in thier traits doesnt do anything.

I play on Noble level. I think the Minor Civs mod makes things a bit easier too. Keeps the AI occupied. They tend to war amongst themselves more it seems. I like the mnor civs mod though, may ratchet it up a level of difficulty though.

I play on Noble level. I think the Minor Civs mod makes things a bit easier too. Keeps the AI occupied. They tend to war amongst themselves more it seems. I like the mnor civs mod though, may ratchet it up a level of difficulty though.

The minor civs can do the same to you as it does the AI. It really just depends. Probably youve been getting lucky with the minors not tearing you apart. A majority of players have been reporting this mod to be harder and having to bump themselves down one level from vanilla civs. Even with legends. Its likely that you are a prince or above level player with vanilla. Just wait until an AI runs up in your territory with a LegioX (or 4 if they get that bugged event:lol:).

I've been playing multiplayer and I had 7 games in a row where I got zerg rushed by AI(usually by 3 or 4 AI's actually) before 0AD. Twice I got rushed by multiple axeman/spear/ram stacks before I could even find copper.

My friend that I play with got rushed once...ever...

That said, I just had to alter my strategy a little from what I do in vanilla to withstand the rushes. It's not harder, it's just different.

Top Bottom