Leges sine moribus vanae: The Term 5 Yasutan Supreme Court

How can we vote without knowing for sure what the implications for each option are? If a poll like that turned up about an in-game issue, it would be shot down directly.

The point of the trial is on whether or not the law was broken, not whether or not someone should be punished.

I agree with both of you

The point of the trial is on whether or not the law was broken, not whether or not someone should be punished.

A trial has several points, including determining the sentence. Heck, I'd be inclined to say that that is the most important part of a trial for most common people.

I respectfully request that the judiciary formally agree to add the option 'no punishment' to any sentencing poll that arises from the jury poll in the investigation I initiated against Joe Harker. I further request that this agreement be formalized before the jury poll is posted. I believe this agreement can be made while still allowing the judiciary to add still more options to the sentencing poll if they so desire.

I respectfully request that the judiciary formally agree to add the option 'no punishment' to any sentencing poll that arises from the jury poll in the investigation I initiated against Joe Harker.

I thank donsig for making this request, and add my support. The citizens should be free to make their determination of guilt vs innocence on the facts of the case, without needing to worry about this sentencing choice being available.

I thought we went through this already, anyway i am against adding that option to any potential sentencing poll. Donsig made a good argument when he said
It is not good form to change the rules in the middle of an investigation, especially when doing so intimates that the court favors no punishment! That does not sound very impartial.

Oh and i think earlyier i voted to allow the new option, i dont want to cause any arguments, if you want to add it go ahead, and i did consent earylier, but i changed my mind now. If you still want to count my old vote i entirely understand and i dont want to cause any argument.

I'm fine with it.

So when is the Gulity/non gulity poll going up?

I hope this term, it gets confusing if a case from the previous term spills into the current term, especially when the members of the Supremen Court and Public Defense are different.

Especially since my defence might be done by donsig! :lol: (no offence meant! It's just a bit ironic :))

Especially since my defence might be done by donsig! :lol: (no offence meant! It's just a bit ironic :))

No, donsig would have to recuse (sp?) himself and someone else would have to take his place for your trial. It would be hilarious though, as your accuser would be the acting defender. :lol:

Yes indeed, very Kafkaeque for the Europeans, or was it Catch 22 to the Americans.

I am certain you would get the best defense there Joe Harker, as Donsig is a man of principles not agendas.

As I see it the poll will not be to decide about a punishment or if a law was or
not broken.

The Jury shall decide if Joe Harker is Guilty or Not Guilty.

Best regards,

OK, I'm a bit distracted and busy now...what exactly are the poll options supposed to be?

OK, I'm a bit distracted and busy now...what exactly are the poll options supposed to be?

You have to put up a Trial poll with the following specifics:
The Trial poll will be a private poll, with the options Innocent, Guilty and Abstain. It will run for 48 hours. The option receiving the most votes will determine the result. In the event of a tie, the members of the Judiciary will determine the result by posting clear opinions in the Trial thread.
So options are
Innocent, Guilty, Abstain

If Guilty is the majority decision a sentencing poll has to be posted. That would include:
If an arrangement cannot be made, or the citizen was found Guilty in a trial poll, the sentence will be determined by the citizens through a poll. The Chief Justice will post the poll, marked as private with a duration of 48 hours. The options for the poll will include:
Suspension from Demogame
Removal from Office (if applicable)
Final Warning
Warning
Abstain
Other options may be included through unanimous consent of the Judiciary.
- the other one just decided (I think) would be no punishment

I'll do it immediately.

I believe the majority of us who are saying guilty are asking for no punishment, so you are correct. 'No Punishment' would be one of the options.

Actually to add this a unanimous vote by this court is required - Lockesdonkey agreed, I agreed and Nobody agreed and disagreed - but I read his last post as a sort of approval unless he protests :rolleyes:

Actually to add this a unanimous vote by this court is required - Lockesdonkey agreed, I agreed and Nobody agreed and disagreed - but I read his last post as a sort of approval unless he protests :rolleyes:

Technically, I think it could be done with a citizens initiative too, but we don't want to go down that road if it isn't necessary

Top Bottom