Legion of D'tesh issue.

Hakabakashii

Chieftain
So. I'm able to read about them. I can pop open the Civilopedia and reminisce about the few games where I led hordes of undead across bruised landscape until I ran across my opponents, turning them to my slaves. Alas, these want to stay memories it seems.

To the issue. I can't play as them. It wont let me select them or any of their leaders. Were they not in the Civilopedia, I'd not be confused. But they are, so I am. Anyone have any thoughts on what's happening here..?

I know there was mention of removing the ability for the AI to play as them. Maybe some wires got crossed and they were locked entirely?

Yeah, they locked them out. It's a fairly simple XML fix. Basically find where all the civs are (BasicInfos folder?), find the relevant XML file, open it with Notepad or Notepad++ if you want to be a boss about it (normal Notepad works fine), find the Legion and then there's a thing that's like bPlayable or something. I think it's a binary 1/0, in which case just change it and turn them off for the AI (separate option nearby).

While you're in there, turn off Scions for the computer too. I remember someone noting that the AI could play them "albeit poorly" due to free Settler spam, which is a dirty rotten lie, the AI can't parse any of their thousand or so essential unique mechanics and ends up several hundred points or more behind the next-lowest player. The only time I have seen a civ do worse is when they are inexplicably FlavourStarted in an empty, frozen wasteland on top of the world.

I don't have access to Civ right now so much of this is probably close but not exact, but it's pretty intuitive. Just check through the XML files until you find the one that has city names and stuff.

EDIT

@ Viatos: Well thank you very much on that. It's running how it needs to be, what with the AI not using them and taunting me with it.

@ Valkrionn: Eh, no biggie on my end. At least it's a quick fix for people.

Another thing I've noticed is I can't play as the Mercurians or Infernals after summoning them and the most the computer does with them is Diplomacy, or whatever you call them saying "WAR!!" and then throwing around free dudes until they have hordes of faceless mooks.

I think it might be linked to XML fix for the Legion. I can understand the limiting for the reason of starting as one of the two would be beyond broken, but the fix as is overwrites all reason for one to even build one of the gates. I figure I'll just set them to playable for players only and try to avoid the temptation to play them from the beginning of the game.

I found the file as you said and I tried to edit it but I was denied access and I have no clue why.

New versions of Windows have problems with editing things saved on C drive as part of their security measures, which turns out to be hugely annoying if you mod anything there on a regular basis. Easiest fix is to move your games off C. I have an E drive for this explicit purpose and I install everything there now. It makes life much simpler.

Harder fix involves "reclaiming" the files, which is annoying and takes a while and involves editing things from the command console and such. You can easily Google guides on how to do that. "reclaim files Windows Program Files" should probably work for keywords.

You don't need to edit the xml. If you go into Single Player, then Custom Game, there is an option to restrict the available Civilizations. This allows you to toggle any of the civilizations so it's locked, AI only, human only or generally available.

Top Bottom