1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Legion vs. Imortal

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Mercenary Gen., May 17, 2003.

?

Do you like the legion or the Imortal?

1. Legion

62 vote(s)
    42.8%
  2. Imortal

83 vote(s)
    57.2%
  1. Mercenary Gen.

Mercenary Gen. Chieftain

Which is better a legion or Imortal? legions have better defense but Imortals have the better attack.

I like the Legion.

2. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Mounted Warrior :p

(I like the Immortal the best of the 2)

3. Vdog

Vdog G-Unit

I like the Immortal. The extra deffense point just isint as good as the extra attack in my opinion. If I loose an Immortal when there on the deffense I have 4 more coming to replace it so not a big deal. The Legion might win that deffence battle but it would get injured and have to go heal then come back to battle, by that time I have my fresh Immortals there so it evens it self out. Since were talking about Swordmen replacments I like the Galic Swordsmen the best, that exta movement is great! :)

4. Ville

Ville Deity

Immortal, they just dominate.

5. Catt

Catt Emperor

In the hands of the human, mabe the immortal. In the hands of the AI, the legion. The AI will freely march immortals right up next to attackers, meaning that the unit is no better than a spearman against a human who should always try to attack immortals and avoid attacks by immortals. And horseman or archers can do a real job on immortal stacks.

If you include traits into the equation, I'd probably go with the legion in most circumstances in the hands of the human (or at least in my hands :p). While the industrious road network of the Persians can speed units to the front far more quickly than the slower legions, the militaristic trait and high defense value of the legion seems to mean a lot more promotions even compared to other militaristic UUs because the legions are so often acting as both attacker and defender, are attacked (and survive, which means a chance for promotion) -- they get promotions on offense and defense, whereas an immortal is a lot more likely to to die while defending (even if it were militaristic). I never seem to have a shortage of elite legions whereas I have to more carefully husband my elite immortals.

6. Akula

Akula Prince

I actually prefer the legion, but that's just since it suits my erly playing style better

7. Dr Alimentado

Dr Alimentado Prince

Immortal.

Plus the fact that Persia is Industrious, Industrious + a strong UU is an extremely strong combination. (IMO a lot stronger than Rome... both on traits and UU)

8. Gainy

Gainy Guest

I prefer the Legion. Tactically it is by far the best unit. I also would rather come up against an Immortal than a Legion, for the reason that Catt said

9. JonathanValjean

JonathanValjean Porschephile

Sentimentally, I like the Immortal better, because I played as Persia for my first 7 or 8 games. Logistically, I think that the Legionary is better, because of its 3 on defense. This can be very helpful in offsetting a counterattack. So, I voted for Legionary.

10. gugalpm

gugalpm Veteran of psychic wars

Legionary
    The extra defense means that you can not only conquer, but also defend the early conquered city. And it makes the tactical player a won battle against any other civ. When the enemy unit attacks, there's always the danger of losing, and the legionary attack is almost always better than other civs' defenses (except the hoplite).

11. Chieftess

Chieftess Moderator Retired Moderator

Rome's also commercial, which means more income to fuel the army. I like both units though, but I think the legions have an edge on defense.

12. Knight-Dragon

Knight-Dragon Unhidden Dragon Retired Moderator

I like immortals more. I use swords for attacking; the +1 to attk comes in handier.

13. Belisar

Belisar Defender of Byzanz

Legions vs. Immortals, a difficult topic.
    I do not include civ-traits (scientific&industrious tops militaristic&commercial, no question).
    From my experience, i know that they are both very useful units. However, on the high difficult levels, were the AI usually has more units in the ancient age than the human player, i prefer a unit with 3 defense points, simply because attacks on my stacks happen more often and with such great defenders, my offensive tasks AND the defense of my cities are easier.

14. Bonaparte

Bonaparte Chieftain

I prefer the Legion to the Immortal. I usually march my units along forest, hills and mountain rages for extra defence making the Legion a potential 3/4 unit in some cases. I also agree with gugalpm the Legion makes a great defender for newly conquered cities. Great question Mercenary Gen.

15. Inter4

Inter4 Forza Inter!

This poll was done some months ago, but included the swordsmen

EDIT: The legion was voted the BEST :D (look at my avatar)

EDIT: my avatar before 300 was the legionary

16. Ben II

Ben II To much time on Hands

I think the legion because of the extra defence

17. Thrawn

Thrawn Emperor

Legion because I like Rome. ;) And the extra defense is great, allows them to have a greater chance of surviving attacks.

18. Xen

Xen Magister

for the bang -vs- buck ratio the legion is bar the best unit in the game. Why? because a while ago a person did some extensive testing on the subject and showed that in every single terrain possibilty, offensive or defensive, accross river or over mountain that Legion against immortal the legion's always have at least a slight advantage, combine this with the fact thjat the legion gives you the offensive abilities of the standard swoardsmen, and the defence abiulities of pikemen, Hoplites, and Numid Merc's and you have a unit which can potentialley cut your army size in half(not me, i just make more Legionaries!) and under a repubic government, where you have to pay for your units this an be to your advantage

19. Xen

Xen Magister

Not to mention the Centurion used to depict it looks awesome....

20. Brewster

Brewster stays crunchy in milk

First I must say both units are very good and I had a difficult time picking my favorite. I went with the Immortal due to the higher attack value. Sure the extra point of defense is nice, but I like the extra point on offense to take down anything and everything in the Ancient Era. If I attack the AI, I will do so with a large enough stack where a few casulties are not a problem.

With the exception of the Leigion, I find offensive units with extra defense, and defensive units with extra offense a bit of a waste.