1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Legion vs. Imortal

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Mercenary Gen., May 17, 2003.

?

Do you like the legion or the Imortal?

1. Legion

62 vote(s)
    42.8%
  2. Imortal

83 vote(s)
    57.2%
  1. Mongoloid Cow

Mongoloid Cow Great Khan

I really have trouble winning a battle, the classic tank vs spearman where I have the tank and the AI has the spearman seems to ocur a lot. As such, I prefer the extra attack of the Immortal, it's invaluable to a player with a constant streak of battle bad-luck.

2. Darkness

Darkness Shadow creature

Immortal!
    Both legion and immortal are essentially improved swordsmen. Swordsmen are offensive units, so I'll take the extra point on offense over the extra point on defense....

3. dojoboy

dojoboy Tsalagi

Immortal over legionaire. The Immortals 4 attack is effective all the way to musketmen. If you're on the offensive, then the Legionaire's 3 defense is negligible.

4. Mercenary Gen.

Mercenary Gen. Chieftain

You can capture a city with an Imortal but a single counter-attack will wipe them out.

5. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

24-24 right now; Firaxis are apparently good at balancing.

I prefer the Imortal, partly because I'm a pretty aggressive player - that extra attack really helps when storming cities. If your Swordman stacks are regularly attacked much by the AI, well your AI's brighter than mine. And defense two goes a long way if you can keep 'em in defensive terrain.

The other reason I like 'em is prolonged life-span; I don't find Legionaries useful after Pikemen and Med Inf come around, but Immortals last well into the Medieval era.

6. amirsan

amirsan King of all Kings

Persia is the best!!!! I won like 5 games with them. Scientific and Tdustrious is a great combination together with alot of early territory.

7. Gothmog

Gothmog Dread Enforcer

I would rather face Immortals than Legions for obvious reasons (OK obvious to me ... see Catt's post above).

But in my hands the Immortal is King (although it sometimes upsets me when my now elite immortal gets attacked rather than the vet spear I brought along for defence). I use geography to my advantage and almost never have my stacks attacked in force out in the open. In fact I don't play persia much because they have a Killer UU and good civ traits - game over man, game over.

8. anarres

anarres anarchist revolutionary

I have to vote Immortal, you need far fewer to go on a rampage than Legions.

9. Sirp

Sirp Emperor

I think it's a really close one. If there's lots of rugged terrain, then Immortals are definitely better: you don't need the extra defense since you'll largely be in hills/mountains, and the extra attack is especially great for taking cities on hills.

If there's lots of flat terrain though: plains, and grassland, I think legionaries have the edge: they can wade right through enemy territory along the shortest route without worry about counter-attacks. Once you hit the middle ages you can also choose whether you want to upgrade legions to MDIs, so you choose out of having 3/3/1 and 4/2/1 units. I usually upgrade some and keep some.

I think the edge does go to the immortal, but it's a close one.

Of course, none of these units can touch the ultimate ancient fighting machines: jags, war chariots, and mounted warriors.

-Sirp.

10. ERIKK

ERIKK multiplayer

The immortal, you dont need defense when you are attacking. In each game you need to attack your neighbour to take over more lands and occasionally get a leader. And when you are attacking you (most of the time) have a large army with spears/pikes protecting the offensive troops!

11. America444

America444 Coming Back To Life

definately immortal they would have to be the best UU in the ancient times

12. bru

bru Prince

I vote for legionare!!

13. Belisar

Belisar Defender of Byzanz

The immortal has 1 movement point, so you definitely need to defense advancing stacks.
    Spears only have 2 defense points as well, so you have to take advantage of the terrain too, if you don't want high casualties.
    By the time you have pikes you will get knights for offensive campaigns.

14. aaglo

aaglo Furioso!

I like both of them. But perhaps the Legion is a bit better.

Immortals strong attack gives you an advantage in the offence, but usually you have to back them up with spearmen. Their industrious bonus means quickly done roads to the newly conquered cities. But the immortal cannot upgrade to medieval infantry (same stats). :(

Legions don't need the defensive support. And with militaristic trait, you don't have to worry about having a lot of elite 3-3-1 dudes hanging around. Defence of 3 is a rare gift.

15. ipris

ipris Warlord

Legions are more my defensive style i suppose, but its like choosing between two great uu's. i would be happy with either, and play accordingly.

16. dojoboy

dojoboy Tsalagi

Why? They both have the same number (2) of defensive hit points. The Immortal's only weakness is its movement rate of 1.

17. Communist Rebel

Communist Rebel Fighting Against Poverty

i like immortal best

18. Xen

Xen Magister

But its the chance of the immortal losing those hit points is the biggest disadvantage

19. aaglo

aaglo Furioso!

When a stack of spearmen&immortals is attacked, the spearmen do the defending. Which leaves the immortals on full health, and able to do damage.

With the legionaries defence of 3 they are less likely to take damage, thus saving hitpoints...

20. Coorae

Coorae Warlord

immortals
    you are going to conquer way more with immortals.
    you should be smart enough to not let them get killed much.