Leopard = Constant Crashes

NoMan

Warlord
My system is a first generation MacBookPro. I am playing Vanilla and it had been pretty crash prone, crashing a few times per week. Sometimes even freezing the computer. After upgrading to 10.4.11 the crashes seem to have stopped. I can't remember the last time it crashed after the 10.4.11 upgrade.

Encouraged by that I upgraded to 10.5.1. Then the crashes came fast and non-stop. Almost twice an hour, often when trying to scroll through unit stacks. Otherwise I liked Leopard but this one problem was intolerable. I'm back in 10.4.11 now.

ah and this post just made me not decide to buy civ 4
its a sad thing when apple says leopard "just works"
i love apple to bits...but come on, i have had to find a work around for nearly every one of my games...
but i have faith in apple...they'll fix things

ah and this post just made me not decide to buy civ 4
its a sad thing when apple says leopard "just works"
i love apple to bits...but come on, i have had to find a work around for nearly every one of my games...
but i have faith in apple...they'll fix things

I think it is mostly the MBPs with the crashing problem. If you have an iMac or PowerMac/MacPro you are probably OK.

Yeah, I'm fine on my iMac - haven't had a single crash since upgrading.

My MBP with Leopard runs Civ4 Warlords like a charm. Not a single crash. Actually, I would say it is more stable than with 10.4.11.. O_o

My MBP with Leopard runs Civ4 Warlords like a charm. Not a single crash. Actually, I would say it is more stable than with 10.4.11.. O_o

Yes, 10.4.11 + Vanilla 1.74 is extremely stable for me also, definitely better than 10.4.10. I even stopped saving after every lucky battle outcome. It stands in marked contrast to 10.5.1, extremely UNstable. This is the major reason I'm still in Tiger.

Edit: Sorry, I misread. What version MBP do you have?

I am on a MacBook running Leopard with the new update and have had no problems with crashing.

Mine just crash with the following log (1.74 vanilla, PM G5 on leopard) :

load_module CvEventInterface
CvEventInterface import failed
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<string>", line 1, in ?
ImportError: No module named CvEventInterface
load_module CvAppInterface
CvAppInterface import failed
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<string>", line 1, in ?
ImportError: No module named CvAppInterface

I read somewhere that the "case sensitive" option of the disk format might be involved.
Any suggestion ?

Hello, welcome :wavey:

Aspyr have previously stated that case sensitive file systems are not supported. The software was developed on Windows, which has no case sensitive option, so there are various text assets that do not match when compared on case-sensitive systems. Aspyr cannot change these assets for the Mac version without breaking the ability to play cross-platform, so they have chosen to support cross-platform play rather than the small number of case-sensitive users.

I believe it is possible to create a case-insensitive partition, or a case-insensitive disk image, and install the software into that so that it will work. You may also need a case-insensitive Home folder for the user who plays it.

Thank you for your help :)
I just found more info about the subject and I'll simply make a clean install to avoid further problem.

+

I'm not certain that your error message results from case sensitivity. Please come back again if you still have trouble after a clean install.

I've had some freezes playing vanilla civ4 on an imac with Leopard. I'll be able to move around the map, but all the units and 'buttons' are unresponsive.

I do a lot of saving just in case.

I'm new to IV, but I'm having loads of fun.

R.Hall
ceaserhall
""-empty string

My frustration level has gotten to the point that I'm abandoning Civ on the Mac. I've ordered the Civ box set (found it for $25!) and Civ IV Complete for the PC. Once my new MacPro arrives, I'll never play Civ on the Mac again.

I'll also never buy another Aspyr product. They've absolutely failed.

I have Leopard and my game has never collapsed (ok, fine, only once but I just opened my game that the computer automatically saved and I didn't lose anything).

I have Civilization 4 and the Warlords expansion pack with no patches installed (yet) and use on it on a Macbook.

Yes, 10.4.11 + Vanilla 1.74 is extremely stable for me also, definitely better than 10.4.10. I even stopped saving after every lucky battle outcome. It stands in marked contrast to 10.5.1, extremely UNstable. This is the major reason I'm still in Tiger.

Edit: Sorry, I misread. What version MBP do you have?
Second revision, 2.16 Ghz, 1 GB RAM. 10.5.2.

On a related notice, Warlords was updated today! w00t!

Warlords, latest version pre-today. Latest version of Leopard. iMac early-2006, 20" (x1600) playing at 1680x1050 and it's never crashed. Not that I have much time to play though.

I'm having the same problem with constant crashes, though I'm not certain if its the recent Warlords patch that's causing it for me or 10.5.2. I did a clean install recently, though Warlords was far more stable before a clean OS install(go figure). Either way, I've had the same game crash about five times already.

MBP 1.83 1st Gen

" ... Yeah, I'm fine on my iMac - haven't had a single crash since upgrading. ..."

Well, my new iMac crashes all the time = OSX v.10.4.11.

Ice bergs turn black sometimes just before it happens. Otherwise playing along in the early part of a game, boom ... total bomb out and the "relaunch" message pops up on the desktop. :(

??

My iMac (24" at 1900 x 1200, Sept 07) on OS X 10.4.11 works fine, just some occasional black ice (Warlords 2.08 and 2.13). I'm thinking of upgrading to Leopard but will backup everything first!

Top Bottom