Leopards, Lions, and Jackals: An Italy Lords of the Realm II AAR

schlaufuchs

Break My Heart
Winter, 1268

Many before have waxed long and eloquent on the idea of "Italia", a land united in custom and language under one ruler. As a young man I thought this idea ludicrous - a whimsical dream of thinkers who know nothing of the realities of political intrigue. They think of this peninsula as a land of sheep, waiting for the right ram to come along and assert his authority over the flock. But ours is not a land of sheep, it is a land full of Leopards, and of Lions, powerful men who will no sooner bow to authority than sprout wings and take to the skies. It is also a land of jackals, conniving sycophants, content to sit in the esteem of Lions - at least until they fall asleep or leave their possessions unattended. The land I would say is entirely unsuited to unification, or at least I would have until just a few months ago. Many of the stronger dukes of the land have now died, or otherwise passed their holdings onto weak-willed heirs, and now more than ever the peninsula lies open to unification by those with the acumen and fortitude to reach out and grab it. If God wills it I will be that man, but the path forward won't be an easy one, for this is a land of Lions, Leopards and Jackals, and there are no shortage of lords who are of the same mind as I. 4 in particular pose a serious threat to my bid:

Kraznaya, the Baron and Lord of Sicily in the South. Cool and calculating, the man is renowned for his meticulous approach towards the management and upkeep of his demesnes. His economic acumen is matched only by military ability; while not the great soldier he once was, he is renowned throughout Christendom as an excellent tactician, and his armies are feared the world over. He's a cautious man, never leaving home unless he can be assured of victory, but when he strikes, it is with such ruthless efficiency that none can hope to recover.

Spoiler :

With ample forests and an iron man at his disposal, Kraznaya should have no trouble mobilizing the armies he'll need to crush the peninsula underfoot.

Luckymoose, the Knight, Lord of Puglia, to the Southeast. The bravery of Lucky is feared throughout Christendom, and even into the lands of the Near East where he earned his reputation as a great killer of Turks. He has always been, and until the day he dies shall be a warrior first, a womanizer second, and maybe on a good day, a statesman third. It is no secret that Lucky is no lover of the tedious day-to-day management of his lands; his cruelty towards his peasants is unparalleled. He works them day and night, levies of them every material possession they have, and at the end of the day, throws them into his armies to stand a arrow-fodder so their betters can do the real work. He sees the people as a means to an end - a formality to pave the way for military glory. What he lacks in political acumen, however, he more than makes up for in military ability. Although his armies are composed primarily of peasants , they also contain no small number of fearsome knights who are more than up to the task of stabbing you in the back while you drown yourself wading through wave after wave of peasant. Lucky's strategy, however bloody, is very effective.

Lucky's personality is every bit as knightly as his warrior's reputation implies. To those he calls friend, he is doggedly loyal, but turn on him and he will pursue you to the ends of the earth, never ceasing his relentless assault until so little of you is left even the carrion will pass you by. Aggressive and expansionistic, once the ball gets rolling, there will be little that can get in his way with the force to stop him.

Spoiler :

Puglia is also a region with rich stores of lumber and, more importantly, iron, ample supplies to get Lucky his Knights, he will truly be a force to fear.

Dachs, the Countess, and Lord of Lazio, smack in the middle of the peninsula. Born of a rich banking family, Dachs married into the title. For several months the marriage appeared a happy one, and Dachs, the perfect, servile wife. And then the Count died of a mysterious and unknown cause. There were some that cried foul, some that implied it was Dachs who did him in. Those people also died of a mysterious, and unknown cause. Since then, Dachs has shown herself to be perhaps the most capable administrator Lazio has ever seen. She personally oversees every aspect of the county, from the growing, harvesting, and storage of grain, to the purchasing of vital goods from the merchant, to the production of weapons and armor at the blacksmith. What's more, Dachs matches her managerial acumen with an extremely capable military ability; always making sure her armies are always well stocked with well stocked, state-of-the art pikemen, and no dearth of archers. Her tactics are similar to her personality - cool and calculating, never overextending herself or needlessly throwing troops away, she moves with a methodical, ruthless efficiency until nothing stands in her way.

Spoiler :

Although the lands of Lazio are not particularly abundant or bountiful, the regions around it are. If Dachs can get her hands on the stone and wood rich lands of Abruzzi to the East, she will be a dangerous foe indeed.

Rounding out the gauntlet of foes standing before me is Thlayli, the Bishop, Lord of Veneto, to the Northeast. In a land of Jackals, Thlayli is the biggest Jackal of them all, gaining the seat of Venice in one of the most spectacular pieces of political intrigue in recent memory. Although he may be an excellent cajoler, and a spectacular arranger of coups, he is certainly no manager, and it shows. Thlayli's approach towards county management is similar to that of Lucky's, but with a little more emphasis on taxes. Thlayli is also a great lover of castles, and it shows, as he pours nearly all of his hard-collected tax crowns into the biggest, most over the top castles money can buy.

While he's no great tactician either, Thlayli does possess the benefit of not seeing peasants as people, and thus is perfectly content to throw every available peasant at his opponent until he collapses from exhaustion. Thlayli also supplements his military inexperience with skillful politicking: he lulls you into a false sense of security with a bevy of compliments, until the right moment, at which point he strikes with lightning quickness, thus adding another province to his tax base.

Spoiler :

Thlayli, as with all of the Lords of Italy, starts with a Norman keep, but don't expect it to stay that way for long. Veneto possesses iron and wood - no stone, but that's never stopped Thlayli before; he'll find a way to get his Royal Castle.

Adversity stands all around me - it'll be a long road to the throne of Italia, but with the promise of a unified Italia before me, I won't be cowed so easily, and I'll be aided by the bounties of my homeland, Liguria:

Spoiler :

With ample stockpiles of wood and iron, I'll have all I need to get an army out quickly. I also start with several barren fields, and even a flooded one, in addition to a low population and a relatively unhappy populace; although I have much going in my favor, this province is going to need a lot of work to get into fighting shape. Here's a breakdown of the current distribution of the people as Liguria stands today:

Spoiler :

Obviously my primary objectives are to reclaim the barren plots and get my fields planted. With a happy and well-fed populace, the world is my oyster.

The graphics remind me very much of MerchanPrince II... is this from the same makers?

EDIT: hmm, quick wikipedia search reveals this is not the case :hmm:

Update 1: Winter 1268-Autumn 1270

My first order of business is to get my county stabilized. The low happiness, wide swath of barren plots, and low population need to be fixed before I can even think of getting my industry or army going.

First I order all the barren plots to be reclaimed. This is a process which will take several years to fix, but I need to get going now. Then I hop over to the merchant, who, thankfully starts in the home county for this particular campaign (although I think I'd gladly take no merchant at start if it meant I wouldn't be plagued with the problems I'd have later in this session).

There are a multiplicity of goods I can buy from the merchant, but I'm focusing on grain. The key to a healthy, functioning county is one which operates on 3 plots of grain to every 1 plot of cattle, and I can't do that if I have no grain to plant. I buy as much as I'm willing to risk spending - I won't be collecting taxes for a few seasons at least.

My resources list shows that I start with 50 swords, 50 bows, and 50 pikes, a gift for this game. I'm not going to be using any of them for now; population devoted towards economy and land reclamation is much more important than putting it towards army at this point, and I can't spare the happiness.

Other major lords' moves for the Spring season. All of them are expending their starting weapons on garrisons for their castles.

Spring for me, and that means my flooded plot has finally drained and I can add another plot to the reclamation queue.

A glance at the happiness graph shows that I'm gaining 7 hearts a year. I usually don't start taxing till happiness is over 90, which means it'll be two seasons before I can start taking in even minimal amounts of tax revenue.

Peasant allocation. I'm pouring all available labor I can into reclamation. I need to free up as many plots for grain as I can before I run out of cattle. To that end I'm willing to allow a slight shortage on dairy maids. The shortest possible time for reclamation is 4 turns, so for Spring it would be 3, however to get the plots back in 3 would require more labor than I'm willing to commit to reclamation, so 4 will have to do.

Summer. The other Lords remain quiet. My population and happiness continue to grow, and my cow numbers are dipping way too quickly.

By Winter my happiness is high enough that I can finally start ratcheting up the tax levels. (Taxation actually began in Fall, but I felt I could spare you the extra screenshot). My first grain harvest has come in, but it's much lower than I anticipated. My cow numbers were still slipping, so I was forced to alter rations to save the herds.

In Spring the first barren plots come back online. Ordinarily grain can only be planted in winter, but plots planted in Spring will grow as well, though not to full maturity, so these reclaimed plots will not go to waste this year, and none to soon either, as the rapidly growing population is quickly making my grain stores unsustainable.

In Summer a quick glace at the other Lords shows not that much. They all made further additions to their garrisons. Thlayli proved the most surprising as the only major Lord making a serious attempt at farming grain. Otherwise all remained quiet on the peninsula.

By the next season, that had changed.

Dachs, seemingly out of thin air, managed to muster a 2-man army (in the 250-500 soldier range) and set it marching towards the neighboring county of Abruzzi.

Seeing that the other Lords were starting to move out, and in hope of at least somewhat curtailing a population size which was rapidly balooning out of control, I decided to take defensive measures:

50 Archers makes for a rather meager garrison, but in the right hands it can be a deadly, unstoppable force.

In this season, I also was forced to further alter the ration for the county, shifting more towards grain. It's a risky move, but seeing the smaller than expected returns from the grain harvest, I realized that cattle are going to be extremely important in this crucial next year. Additionally, I finally managed to hit full taxation in the county:

Winter, 1270 was a bad year for our cause.

Dachs succeeded in capturing the county of Abruzzi. The stone quarry and iron mine will help his cause imensely. The Countess is going to prove a very difficult opponent down the line if she can capitalize on the early expansion.

Furthermore, the issue that had been snowballing for the last two years finally came to a head:

Having to cut rations is never a good thing. It hurts happiness (read: less taxes), and damages health (less people AND less taxes). I alter the ration this year to eat more grain, but it's a quick fix, and I'm going to be in it even worse if I can't get my hands on some extra grain right away. Where is that damned merchant?

...are you kidding me? And yes, this was summer. I can show this because this was the exact same spot he was in in the spring.

Well maybe he'll come in Autumn? Nope.

Autumn and my fair county stands at an impasse. 600 food is a good return, but when replanting is taken into account it may not be enough, and my health has dropped to yellow (no happiness bonuses) due to the rationing. I now need to decide what I want to do? I could alter the rations towards wheat and get rations up to normal, this would be an unsustainable move, and really I'd just be gambling on the merchant coming around in the next turn or two (he's still in the next county over), or I could shift to quarter or half rations, and just hope I don't catch the plague.

Oh, and Dachs came a-knocking with this:

Should I accept an alliance from Dachs?

You ought to be burning stuff like a boss.

Also, keep starts are lame.

Top Bottom